NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Tiredness vs fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/151501-tiredness-vs-fatigue.html)

doydie 06-06-2011 10:39 PM

Tiredness vs fatigue

I depend on my sound machine. Electricity went out this morning so I didn't get the good nights rest I usually do. I tried to go back to sleep when the electricity came back on but no go. So I am tired all day long. Sometimes I have a problem trying to determine if what I have is just tiredness or good ol' fatigue. I don't know if it is in my mind or not but I can work through tiredness but not fatigue. Maybe I am giving myself permission to give into the fatigue but not being tired.

SallyC 06-07-2011 01:16 PM

Normal fatigue is a more pronounced tiredness and is usually due to extra exertion with a lack of sleep, thrown in.

MS Fatigue is due to the disease. You don't have to do anything to have it...it's just a perk for MS.:mad:

The cure for normal fatigue/tiredness is a good nights sleep!!:D:p:D

doydie 06-07-2011 02:05 PM

I must have a lot of the run of the mill tiredness/fatigue because I seem to be needing more sleep lately. Maybe it's the heat or maybe I just need to set an alarm clock. Maybe there still is a tiny bit of depression hanging around

SallyC 06-07-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 776995)
I must have a lot of the run of the mill tiredness/fatigue because I seem to be needing more sleep lately. Maybe it's the heat or maybe I just need to set an alarm clock. Maybe there still is a tiny bit of depression hanging around

That'll do it..:hug:

Lynn 06-08-2011 08:46 AM

To me, tiredness is a lack of sleep - whereas MS fatigue is when someone lets the air out of my tyres and I can't push myself to do anything. It is almost overwhelming and happens out of the blue - usually in the afternoon.

Lyn

Kitty 06-08-2011 08:56 AM

I've quit announcing that I'm tired. I hear the "yeah, I know how you feel. I'm tired, too" response too much.

For me, there is such a huge difference between just being tired and having the dreaded MS fatigue. If I do get the fatigue and someone comments on it or asks about it I tell them I have "MSF" (multiple sclerosis fatigue). :o It sounds more severe than just being tired (because it is) plus it shuts up the folks who want to play the "I'm more tired than you are" game. :cool:

tkrik 06-08-2011 10:51 AM

Like others, to me tired is just not getting enough sleep or something. Fatigue is an overwhelming feeling of just being exhausted. There is nothing you can do but lay down and/or sleep. My body just can't go any more and I get a sense of unreality, like everything around me is in slow motion and I just feel blah. Once I nap, I am fine.

I often tell others that it is like coming down with the worst flu you have ever had; where you just need to go to bed. I think that is the only way that others can understand what we feel on a daily basis - only because most people have felt that before.

Kitty 06-08-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 777244)
I often tell others that it is like coming down with the worst flu you have ever had; where you just need to go to bed. I think that is the only way that others can understand what we feel on a daily basis - only because most people have felt that before.

That's a good comparison. That's exactly what it feels like.

Blessings2You 06-08-2011 02:16 PM

The trouble is, all of those words--tired, sleepy, fatigued--are just words. MSers use them and healthy people use them. I might use "tired" to mean I painted the barn and now I'm really tired. You might use "tired" to mean I was up most of the night and now I'm really tired.

Technically, fatigue is EXTREME tiredness, or mental/physical EXHAUSTION typically caused by stress or illness.

MSers (and some folks with other illnesses) go a step beyond that to extreme, crushing, dibilitating fatigue that isn't necessarily caused by anything other than having MS. It's fatigue on steroids.

To me, "tired" means more body or muscles, whereas not getting much sleep is "sleepy".

Even though it gives me the grrrrr's, I can't really blame people that don't get it, because you hear "fatigue" all the time referring to run-of-the-mill tiredness. So of COURSE when I say I'm dealing with fatigue, someone with three little kids and a full-time job is going to say "I know exactly what you mean!"

We need our own word that can't mean anything else than the kind of fatigue "we" get.

SallyC 06-08-2011 07:23 PM

How about:
The MS is sucking me dry today.
Too tired to talk, goodbye.
Fatigabouddit!
I'd have to rally to die.