NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Question about $$ for message boards (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/36901-question-message-boards.html)

Jules A 01-22-2008 05:21 PM

Question about $$ for message boards

Hi Everyone,
My guess is that part of the problem with the "other place" was that the cost to run a message board is in part based on the number of posts. I wrote asking about possibly doing inexpensive Premier memberships etc. to help defray the costs rather than just shutting us down. BTW, it wasn't posted or answered.

So my concern is that since so many of us have now descended on this nice board I worry that we might make things cost too much here also. Does this make any sense?

hollym 01-22-2008 05:25 PM

I don't think it was a too many posts kind of thing. I took the note to read that it was more of a thing with keeping the sponsor happy.

So, you also had a thread never "approved" and posted, huh? I also have an e-mail into them for 2 days with no response.

Jules A 01-22-2008 05:54 PM

I never thought of that but if so, why didn't someone just say that?
:Dunno:

MSCherokee 01-22-2008 05:57 PM

I posted on that particular thread Jules but it never showed up. Seems like I had a couple that poofed, but it's probably because I sent feedback e-mail - very constructive and polite - that hasn't been answered either.

Chemar 01-22-2008 06:10 PM

Hi there

I have PMd DocJohn to pop in here when he gets a chance to explain again how NT runs and reassure y'all of our mission to be a FREE online peer support / self help community. We have a thread on it somewhere and will try to find it for ya

We are the lil sister site of Doc's highly successful PsychCentral ( www.psychcentral.com) and so that pays da bills :D

as to other places...well...let's maybe leave their biz there :o and focus on all we have to offer here :p

good to see so many new members here! welcome

Cheri

Bearygood 01-22-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules A (Post 192818)
I never thought of that but if so, why didn't someone just say that?
:Dunno:

Hi, Jules!

Exactly -- but I'm saying this not because of whatever the reason or reasonS might be but because the explanation made no sense. A "conversational tone" is a bad thing? :mad: THAT was really the problem for me -- I just don't think it was really truthful. Although I know that the service is provided TO us (and I'm very grateful and do not take it for granted) I do think that we deserved something more honest. Okay, I'll get off the :Soapbox: now. :)

Bearygood 01-22-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 192848)
Hi there

I have PMd DocJohn to pop in here when he gets a chance to explain again how NT runs and reassure y'all of our mission to be a FREE online peer support / self help community. We have a thread on it somewhere and will try to find it for ya

We are the lil sister site of Doc's highly successful PsychCentral ( www.psychcentral.com) and so that pays da bills :D

as to other places...well...let's maybe leave their biz there :o and focus on all we have to offer here :p

good to see so many new members here! welcome

Cheri

Oops -- sorry Cheri. I should have read this more carefully before I posted. :o

Thank you for making us all feel so welcome. :)

DocJohn 01-22-2008 07:15 PM

We run NT largely as we run our forums for Psych Central, as a part of our mission to provide a supportive, self-help environment that allows people to help themselves. So much of health and illness is just learning as much as you can about it and discovering you're not alone in this journey in life. Others have come before you and will extend their hand (and their hearts) to help you through it...

The costs to run even a large community online (50,000+) are minimal, as long as it is well-managed and well-maintained. So minimal, in fact, that you'll notice we don't even bother with advertisements here...

We do have experience with running larger communities online, so we know what to expect and how to manage the growth without impacting the free services we offer our members. We're here to support you and will let you know if a specific need ever arises.

Thank you for your continued support and for choosing us over the many other choices you have! :)

Best,
DocJohn

MooseasaurusRex 01-22-2008 09:28 PM

Doc John you rock!

Need a bouncer to keep the riff raff out?

(You hire people like me to keep people like me out).:o:rolleyes:

braingonebad 01-22-2008 10:58 PM

DocJohn and Cheri - Thanks for the great site and warm welcome!

That's all we wanted, just a warm place to sit and talk, cheer each other up - these folks have always been so good at that. We're family.

We had a nice home and things got weird there, sorry to vent about it here. They basically said no off topic chat. They couldn't afford it and the sponsors were getting restless.

We are just concerned, as many of us as there are, we could wear out our welcome with all our gabbing here.

:o

Let us know if things get out of hand and we'll tone it down.

Thanks again for having us. We'll clean up after ourselves - won't we Moose?