NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Does the weakness ever go away? And is it a relapse when you are? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/156318-weakness-relapse.html)

ItsWonderfulLife 08-31-2011 09:54 AM

Does the weakness ever go away? And is it a relapse when you are?

Im new to all of this stuff and still in limbo waiting to figure out whats wrong with me, but if it does turn out to be MS i was wondering if this extreme weakness in my legs will ever subside? I used to exercise heavily daily and now its difficult to walk up a flight of stairs...Could this just be an exaserbation or is this my new norm? Thanks for any responses

Blessings2You 08-31-2011 10:18 AM

Hi there, welcome to the neighborhood!

So hard to answer that question, especially without a definite diagnosis! For me, the weakness waxes and wanes depending on the temperature, my exertion level, and who knows what else! Some days it's hard to pull myself up the steps, other days I feel almost normal. It's not the same for any two people!

Snoopy 08-31-2011 10:20 AM

Hello ItsWonderfulLife and welcome to NeuroTalk.

In regards to MS: Exercise has been shown to be beneficial. A Physical Therapist (PT) can help get you started. Weakness, for some can be improved but it can take time, effort and frustration on the part of the patient. Unfortunately, a person with MS will not know if their weakness can be improved without making an effort.

Not everyone or every case of weakness can be improved but it is important to continue exercise/PT. What exercises depends on the persons ability.
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...ise/index.aspx

Kitty 08-31-2011 10:22 AM

Well, for me it's my new norm. I avoid stairs like the plague! Weakness is especially prominent in my left leg and my right arm. :confused: But......MS treats everyone differently and some may have no obvious weakness in their legs but lots of visual issues. Or no visual issues but lots of numbness and/or pain in their arms and legs. And some of us are blessed with all of it! :rolleyes:

It's hard being in limbo and not knowing what's causing all the strange symptoms. Have you been to a Neuro that specializes in MS? What testing have you had? Sometimes it takes quite a while to narrow it down and get that diagnosis. Lots of other things mimic MS so it's not a quick process.

SallyC 08-31-2011 10:44 AM

Welcome Itswonderfullife, nice to meet you. You have found a nice supportive place to be, while waiting for your DX.:hug:

Judy2 08-31-2011 03:10 PM

Hi WL and Welcome to NeuroTalk. It's good to meet you, but I really hope you won't have to be here forever.:)

ItsWonderfulLife 09-01-2011 12:04 PM

Thanks everyone for welcoming me so warmly and for the replies :) Kitty: I have been to about 6 docs including a neuro and rhemotologist and no one seems to be able to find out whats wrong. I had an MRI with and without contrast which came back clear with no lesions and the nerve conduction tests etc. I havent had a spinal yet but im being refered to another neuro to maybe find some answers. Im not sure when I can rule out MS as being a possible cause. Its difficult because so many symptoms seem to come and go (although some stay) that its hard to talk to a doc without them looking at you like your a loon lol the first question almost every doc ive seen started by asking me what stressful situation happened when this started so im sure theyd love to chalk it up to stress and believe me i would too but i dont think its that simple :) Hopefully i can find an answer but its nice to be around such kind people, thanks again for your inputs

Kitty 09-01-2011 12:40 PM

Diagnostic Criteria for MS

Here's a good website explaining the McDonald Criteria and how it's used to diagnose MS:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/DiagnosticCriteria.html

doydie 09-01-2011 11:04 PM

Welcome to our family. you don't even have to behave here!!!! I agree with the others. I feel better when I can go to the Y. The silver sneakers aqua classes really help. It is surprising how many younger people you may find in there. I used to walk in the mall. My husband would make several laps as I made my one. Or at times it wasn't even one. I remember how happy it was when I could go from one end to the other, wasn't able to go back to the beginning but I was finally able to make it to one end! Make small goals and allow yourself those days when you can't do as well as the day before.

Catch 09-15-2011 11:01 AM

Hi and welcome! I wish I knew what was permanent and what isn't. The pains I know are permanent, though I don't hurt every day. But I'm not sure about lead legs. I lived practically lead-leg-free for two years after a 6 mo course of solumedrol, now its back with a vengeance! Both legs and arms too.

The standard rule of thumb for a relapse is unrelenting symtems lasting three days or more. If it keeps up you may need a trip to the neuro, and some steriods.

Good luck, and hope your dx is soon.