NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   PN - Soaking in warm water (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/215543-pn-soaking-warm-water.html)

grete 02-01-2015 02:40 PM

PN - Soaking in warm water

Hello,

I have severe peripheral neuropathy in my feet and this has worsened considerably since April 2014. I now require crutches to walk due to the level of pain and have been very disabled for almost 9 months. Most days, I’m only able to hop along on crutches indoors. It’s mainly the mid foot area that is painful.

When I soak my feet in warm water for 10 min then I'm able to walk unaided for about 10 min. I can reliably do this four times a day, but not exceed the frequency or the 10 minutes. Does anyone know what happens to your nerves when you soak in warm water? Why is it less painful to walk after the soaking?

Someone suggested nerve endings get numbed in the warm water (and therefore sending less scrambled messages), but I think that sounds strange.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,
Grete Cooper

Daprofee 02-02-2015 11:27 AM

Hi grete. I am a diabetic with the same issue as you. I dont know why the nerve pain goes away when we soak our feet but it does. I am on 2400mg gabapentin a day for the pain and it does nothing. My feet swell and I lose balance easily, I am groggy most of the day cause of the meds dispite being on them for about 5 months. I to use a cane to walk although I dont walk much like you I spend most of the day laying down with my legs raised. I have found that keeping my feet moisturized with coco butter helps with the pain. Its not alot but at least I can massage my feet at the sametime. Sorry I cant help much but I do understand.

mrsD 02-02-2015 12:09 PM

if you add some epsom salts to that warm water, you can improve longer than 10 minutes. The amount you add depends on the volume of water you use. About 4 oz to a tub of water or 6-8 oz in a bath tub.

grete 02-04-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daprofee (Post 1121733)
Hi grete. I am a diabetic with the same issue as you. I dont know why the nerve pain goes away when we soak our feet but it does. I am on 2400mg gabapentin a day for the pain and it does nothing. My feet swell and I lose balance easily, I am groggy most of the day cause of the meds dispite being on them for about 5 months. I to use a cane to walk although I dont walk much like you I spend most of the day laying down with my legs raised. I have found that keeping my feet moisturized with coco butter helps with the pain. Its not alot but at least I can massage my feet at the sametime. Sorry I cant help much but I do understand.

I'm on 3,000 mg Gabapentin and 50 mg Cymbalta daily and experience minimal side-effects. In my case, the meds really make a difference. I would encourage you to try other meds if Gabapentin doesn't work for you - ask your doctor as there are many types of nerve medication available. I spent my days on the couch with my swollen/burning feet raised from April to October 2014. The PN then got a bit better and I've slowly been able to walk a little bit with crutches. So you see, things can improve. I hope it does for you - don't give up hope ever.

Thanks for your input.

Be well. Think well.
Grete

grete 02-04-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1121736)
if you add some epsom salts to that warm water, you can improve longer than 10 minutes. The amount you add depends on the volume of water you use. About 4 oz to a tub of water or 6-8 oz in a bath tub.

Thank you for your input. It seems nobody quite knows what warm water does to nerves!

I have bought Epsom salt and will give it a try!

Grete

Lara 02-04-2015 04:24 PM

I'm not sure exactly how it affects nerves as such, but basically heat increases vasodilation and increases capillary permeability and cellular metabolism. It also can have a sedative effect on the area. However, it usually increases inflammation whereas ice decreases inflammation.

heat - "It brings oxygen, nutrients, antibodies and leucocytes to the affected area." according to one of my nursing books. - Fundamentals of Nursing -

echoes long ago 02-04-2015 07:07 PM

did you ever get checked out for plantar fasciitis? your symptoms resemble symptoms of it. i got it one time in both feet at the same time. one morning i woke up put my feet down and almost went through the roof. very painful and i couldnt walk. i thought that was it that PN had destroyed my ability to walk. very unusual to get both feet at exactly the same time. the left one released by itself while going down steps. i had to get a shot of cortisone in the right one to get it to release.

MAT52 02-05-2015 05:29 PM

I find that hot water makes my small fiber neuropathy burn horribly all night. But I discovered by chance that if I then run them under cold water for five minutes straight afterwards - soaking hands and feet - I get several hours of relief.

I think it's because it reboots the small fibers in a similar way to closing down a computer and then turning it back on. I'm not a scientist but this is how it seems to me. However mine is caused by autoimmunity rather than Diabetes and I also have some Raynauds as part of this - so with me it is about the vasodilation I'm pretty sure.

surfer00 02-10-2015 05:03 PM

I couldn't tolerate much warm water as a soak. I soak my feet and claves in ice water before I go to work and when I get home. I found a white plastic container that will fit both my feet and is high enough to cover about 2/3 of my claves. I pour half of our ice cube maker contents in the container, fill with water and soak. I also sit on flexible ice packs under my thighs as I soak and I have two sets that I rotate through the day at work.

I call it my 'morphine'. Its the second best relief I get. The best is medical marijuana, but I can't do that until later in the evening.

Hope this helps.

mrsD 02-10-2015 05:05 PM

Never use HOT anything if you have sensory PN. Not steam rooms, not hot baths or hot tubs or heating pads! You will overload the heat sensing nerves, and they are broken and cannot turn off properly.