NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Muscle stiffness (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/164266-muscle-stiffness.html)

Lynn 02-01-2012 07:28 AM

Muscle stiffness

Hello everyone

I just wanted to ask you all if any of you get muscle stiffness in your legs? I find (especially when I am walking, or stand up after sitting for a while) that the back of my left calf is really stiff (like I have run a marathon using only one leg).

It makes walking really painful on that leg, but it doesn't seem to be like a spasm, it only hurts when I am using it. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Everywhere else if fine, sometimes it only starts hurting after I have been walking discomfort free for a while. It is worse in the heat. When I was first Dx'd, the doc said I had spasticity in my left leg, but that was 10 years ago.

I don't just want to label this as an MS thing - but I can't think of any other reason.

I would appreciate your experience.

Thanks

Lyn

SallyC 02-01-2012 11:58 AM

It is an MS thing, Lynn, sorry. Your muscles are overworkin. Doing the jobs of the nerves and the muscles, so of course they're going to get sore and tired.....just as though you have run a 20 mile marathon, after only walking for a mile or less.

You are doing pretty darn good after 10 years of this..:) Keep it up!!:hug:

Lynn 02-01-2012 05:40 PM

Thanks Sally

It has only been happening in the last couple of weeks, and only in my left calf. Yes, I have been well for a long time, Tysabri has been so good for me.

So, you think it is probably not due to an exacerbation or inflammation in my brain, but just secondary fatigue??? That would make sense I think.

Cheers

Lyn

BBS1951 02-01-2012 08:01 PM

Yes, I get that. I ignore it and treat it as though it was a hallucination.

Debbie D 02-02-2012 04:45 PM

Sounds like spasticity to me...my legs start to stiffen after a few minutes of standing or if I take the pup for a walk. It hurts!! Not like a knot-like spasm, just tightness and pain.

I go home and try to stretch the legs out with a yoga strap or by pushing against the wall doing an achilles' stretch. It seems to alleviate the tightness.

Hugs, dear:hug::hug:

tkrik 02-02-2012 07:27 PM

I hate to blame everything on MS too but in your case, I agree with Debbie - it sounds like spasticity. I get it there too sometimes and it hurts and is annoying. It does feel like you've ran a marathon when you've only walked maybe 25 feet at the most or, as I call it, it feels like a 1/2 Charley horse that gets stuck like that for hours/days. Stretching the calf muscles out helps. Stand by a wall and do lunges (they help me out).

Lynn 02-03-2012 03:08 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. Now I can add pins and needles in my feet at night to the mix - maybe something is going on. I have started doing some stretches - not sure that they are helping much yet.

Cheers

Lyn

Debbie D 02-03-2012 10:27 AM

Lyn, are you on any muscle relaxants? I'm on a large dose, and I still get this...one of those symptoms that I feel is the worst...until another one seeks my attention:rolleyes:;)

ms er since '06 02-03-2012 08:29 PM

Lyn: I had botox injections in both my left and right calf and it is helping a lot.
Nora

karilann 02-04-2012 11:50 PM

Spasticity is one of my biggest issues and I take baclofen every day. A calcium/magnesium tablet helps too.
On a good day in the spring or fall I can go for a walk......sometimes (very quickly) I will feel my legs start to weaken. If I stop and rest then the stiffness sets in IMMEDIATELY and I can hardly get going again.
So what do I learn??

Once I start going don't stop or I'm doomed.