NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Metadiscussin about: "A Question About Enterolab" (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/779-metadiscussin-question-enterolab.html)

NancyM 09-13-2006 05:42 PM

Metadiscussin about: "A Question About Enterolab"

Cara, just wanted to applaud you for your patience and persistence. You go girl!

jccgf 09-13-2006 06:04 PM

Well, now you've blown my cover for "boarding around". It was a little slow here for a while, and I...um...was just peeking...really.

Cara

NancyM 09-13-2006 06:14 PM

I'm sure with the name of IMResident he must be an Internal Medicine resident. Or plays one on TV.

I think his point with his story of his Mom is that he thinks people will assume their problem is gluten sensitivity and not keep looking for other answers. But when you're a patient and you can't get a doctor to take you seriously you've got to look for your own answers. I can't tell you how many stories I hear of people with extremely severe disease who find their own diagnosis because doctors leap to the antidepressants or labeling the patient as nuts.

aklap 09-13-2006 06:39 PM

Yeah yeah Cara... You little board tramp you... LOL!!!

I had seen your posts over there recently.

I just happened to read this particular post today! I was going to PM you about it, but now I don't have to :). It was a very interesting conversation. I may need to go back and read it in depth to get the full effect.

aklap 09-13-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyM (Post 5702)
I think his point with his story of his Mom is that he thinks people will assume their problem is gluten sensitivity and not keep looking for other answers.

Yeah, well if the docs would come up with the right answers in the 1st place we wouldn't be forced to continue to look and research every thing ourselves.

jccgf 09-13-2006 06:56 PM

I do think he makes a valid point that not everything in the world is cured by a gluten free diet. I think patients do have to recognize that if their symptoms don't resolve during a dietary trial, or if bothersome symptoms remain... that they have to keep on looking, keep on trying new doctors, etc., and perhaps sometimes give the medications a try... even if they aren't sure they want to. This could have happened to his mother had she been diagnosed with biopsy proven celiac disease...she may have gone on to require additional treatment for depression.

I'd love to hear this story from his mother's perspective.

Cara

NancyM 09-13-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jccglutenfree (Post 5716)
I'd love to hear this story from his mother's perspective.

I would too!

annelb 09-13-2006 10:16 PM

I will have to go back and reread this tomorrow when I am more awake.

Anne

diamondheart 09-13-2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyM (Post 5679)
Cara, just wanted to applaud you for schooling that Resident. :) I bet it really makes him mad. You know how doctors love to absorb new information from non-doctors. *cough*

It took me a while to find the thread. If the guy isn't open to the information, why not let it go? It's like that saying, "minds are like parachutes - they only work when they are open".

I'm not taking sides here, but I'll say that one of the things that impressed me about the GS/CD BrainTalk was how nice people were to each other. I know that I wouldn't want other people gossiping about me on other forums, and I like to treat people the same way I want to be treated.

Claire

jccgf 09-13-2006 10:42 PM

Point well taken.

What's the saying???

What happen's at Las Vegas (enter forum name), stays at (enter forum name).

Not to mention, it probably leaves others a bit confused~ who aren't boarding around.