NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Left Leg - Constant Pain .. ideas? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/138697-left-leg-constant-pain-ideas.html)

Vonn07 11-17-2010 02:00 PM

Left Leg - Constant Pain .. ideas?

if I could cut my left leg off at the thigh - I would be normal (well, close to it) .. the nurse called back (had to refill on copax and up the gabby, if possible) .. the pain doesn't go away, the tramadol doesn't take any edge off ... and when I walk - I have to "think" to move my left leg forward ... anyone deal with this?? is this how MS comes about? I haven't been pain-free with this leg for over 3 weeks now ..

my left side and my right foot drop, and some other issues - threw me into the MS category ...

thanks - any ideas? or vitamins?

Kitty 11-17-2010 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your leg pain. I hope someone here has some ideas because I'm experiencing the same with my right leg. This isn't new.....and I suspect it's the cool weather and/or barometric pressure changes causing it.....but it seems like it's always throbbing.

Does your leg ever just give out from under you? Mine has been doing this quite frequently and this is a new thing. I can be walking along and it just gives out. No warning.....nothing. Just like it decides to quit. Strange and a little scary. :confused:

SallyC 11-17-2010 02:16 PM

Hi Vonn :) It could be that an improper gait is causing your pain. A little PT may help?
Sometimes you have to learn to walk again.

I, mostly just transfer now, not much walking and when I do it improperly....OUCH for days. :mad: I hate taking drugs for pain, unless it's excruciating pain.

I do stretches (laying down) straightening my legs and the bringing my knees up slowly to my chin (sometimes I have to help with my hands to bring my left knee up). This helps strengthen your back, too.

Good wishes. :hug:

Dejibo 11-17-2010 02:42 PM

I have no advice, just hugs :hug:

Vonn07 11-17-2010 02:54 PM

Hey Kelly - sorry to hear about your right leg issues .. I'm so glad that it's my left leg .. then I can drive and stretch it out or bring my knee up ... I have to sleep with it elevated ... and it hasn't happened yet about giving out - but it's a weird sensation and you just want to 'slap' it or something! that's why the gabapentin again .. but, I'm tired of having these pills always have 'weight gain' issues ... working on that!

Sally - I do alot of stairs (the computer is in the basement) ... and leg lifts at night .. but, nothing seems to help ... and I'm not giving up - and understand how your leg can hurt if you're on it too much .. I just have to sit ... at least for a little while .. then I can stand and walk .. but, just standing is a killer! hope you are doing fine

thanks for the hug, Deb - THEY are always a help!! and laughter!!

pud's friend 11-18-2010 02:23 AM

No advice. i have no ideas!
will be following the thread to see if anyone has any ideas since i'm in the same boat as you...

NurseNancy 11-18-2010 05:49 PM

hi vonn,

i have a similar problem with my Lt leg. and thankfully, i can drive too.
i used to be on neurontin, then switched to lyrica and that helped a lot. i still have pain in my leg and foot but much better.

and this is weird but my pain starts to escalate about 5 pm.
heat and massages help but that's minimal.
did you share this with your neuro?

i agree with a PT consult. and if they find something like a gait problem or drop foot they are more apt to have weight when they report to the dr. i think there's also some brace you can wear for drop foot.
:hug:'s from me too.

it's so hard to deal with all these problems.

SandyC 11-18-2010 06:16 PM

Jim has this all the time but he doesn't walk like you do. The only thing that really works for him is medical cannabis.

This is weird and a little off topic. Today he got a cortosone shot in his shoulder and he got feeling back in his hand. :confused: He hasn't had feeling in that hand for years!

Vonn07 11-19-2010 10:53 AM

hey Pud's Friend .. always welcome ..

NurseNancy .. thanks!! I was on Lyrica for a little while - and it wasn't 'for' me .. didn't like the weight-gain side effect, either ..

Sandy .. not there yet for shots .. and the medical cannibas - would work if in tab form!! :o

UPDATE: I took 2-300mg of Gabby last night before bed .. and 9mg of Melatonin to sleep .. and slept pretty good ... and that helped SO much ... and my L-leg is practically pain free ... we'll see how the day goes!!

thanks for posting!!

Debbie D 11-19-2010 11:09 AM

make sure to stretch that whole side...

1)Lying down,lift leg up with both hands under knee, bring to chest, hold for 3-5 sec. do each leg 5 times.

2) Still lying down, lift legs to chest, slowly twist from waist until left leg touches floor (if possible). Hold for 3-5 sec. do other side; repeat 5 times.

3) if you have a yoga strap or long band, put under foot and, lying on back, bring leg straight up, pulling band to straighten leg. Hold for 3-5 sec. Repeat on other leg.

Not sure if you have a nerve being pressed, or if it's spasms. Either way, stretching will help lenghten the muscles; if it is a pressed nerve, this will also help take pressure off of nerves.

Keep us up to date on how you're doing...:hug::hug: