NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   The Here-We-Go-Again Cure (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/53360-cure.html)

Blessings2You 09-01-2008 07:49 AM

The Here-We-Go-Again Cure

After church Sunday, a good friend and genuinely caring woman said "Did you know the lady that was here last week has MS? She's on a special diet! She had lost her eyesight and used a cane, and now she can see! And she doesn't need her cane anymore!"

You know, someday I'm going to miss out on something genuine because I've become so cynical and negative in this area. My friend is so sincere and sweet that I thanked her and said that I'd be glad to get the information.

But in my heart I was thinking two things: First, that a healthy eating plan is good for ANYBODY's health, MS or no. And I was thinking that optical neuritis and other symptoms often remit on their own after an exacerbation.

I know we've been down this road before here, and I'm certainly not doubting that different regimens have helped some MS people, and some a great deal. MS is so individual and so unpredictable that I don't know how anybody knows what's working and what's anecdotal anyway.

But if it makes my friend happy to know she's at least tried to help, it's worth a few minutes of reading at least.

yeahbut 09-01-2008 08:22 AM

I called for health insurance a couple of weeks ago, the man I ended up talking to knew me and knew of my condition, while trying to get a quote over the phone I ended up hearing about this "doctor who isn't an actual doctor" who has this "special diet that cures cancer and MS". I should really give her a call - she will cure me by just the foods I eat.

I just wanted a quote for insurance..... good luck B2U and enjoy your day off today!

Gazelle 09-01-2008 10:25 AM

OOOOOoooh!!! The "no aspartame" diet!!! :D

Jules A 09-01-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazelle (Post 359145)
OOOOOoooh!!! The "no aspartame" diet!!! :D

OMG we laugh but my Mom thinks that chewing sugar free gum might have led to my dx. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
I'm so glad you can take this with the loving, generous spirit that your friend intended. I'm with you in that my cynical nature will probably cause me to miss out on the real cure someday. ;)

gonnamakeit 09-01-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules A (Post 359156)
OMG we laugh but my Mom thinks that chewing sugar free gum might have led to my dx. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
I'm so glad you can take this with the loving, generous spirit that your friend intended. I'm with you in that my cynical nature will probably cause me to miss out on the real cure someday. ;)

Did your symptoms stop when you quit chewing the gum?

gmi

SandyC 09-01-2008 11:54 AM

Just last 4th of July, a woman with MS asked what was wrong with my husband in the wheelchair? This was after we left of course. She said she is convinced drinking diet Coke caused her MS. Ugh, glad we were gone by then because I think it may have got nasty.

SallyC 09-01-2008 12:34 PM

I don't believe, for a minute, that Aspertame causes MS, but I do know that, in some people, it has side effects. For me it causes increased depression. I've learned to avoid it....much to the dismay of my diet..:rolleyes:

There are some MSers who swear by their diet, but, of course, they still have MS. I believe their healthy diet does help them with some of their symptom relief, but like, all the other Meds we take, it's no cure.

You are a very good friend, Blessings..:)

weegot5kiz 09-01-2008 12:48 PM

I have had someone at the neuros office say the same thing, sandy :Bang-Head: I don't drink diet sodas or soda for the most part, I actually smiled at her and said sorry you are wrong, I don't drink soda or diet soda, she said hmm wonder how you got it, you must of tried it once, I again i reiterate :Bang-Head:

Jules A 09-01-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonnamakeit (Post 359177)
Did your symptoms stop when you quit chewing the gum?

gmi

I quit chewing it to shut her up after my diagnosis and actually yes my symptoms did stop, lol. Of course it could have also been the steroids, Copaxone or fact that the R in RRMS means remitting. :D

GladysD 09-01-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 359251)
I don't believe, for a minute, that Aspertame causes MS, but I do know that, in some people, it has side effects. For me it causes increased depression. I've learned to avoid it....much to the dismay of my diet..:rolleyes:

There are some MSers who swear by their diet, but, of course, they still have MS. I believe their healthy diet does help them with some of their symptom relief, but like, all the other Meds we take, it's no cure.

You are a very good friend, Blessings..:)

:I-Agree:
It makes me nauseous and gives me a headache. IF diet soda Causes MS, then why don't MORE people have MS? ;)

Blessings, good for you for dealing with the moment appropriately, isn't it nice to have a place to vent about such things? :winky::hug: