NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   This STUPID disease is making me move far away from my babies! (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/155467-stupid-disease-move-babies.html)

SeamsLikeStitches 08-16-2011 03:11 PM

This STUPID disease is making me move far away from my babies!

I HATE this disease! I am in the process of getting disability. I can't work, I can't apply for a place to live. I have no family in the area. Everyone says it takes up to TWO YEARS to get disability. I've only been waiting 10 months. I'm out of money, out of resources, and out of a place to live, and a car!

My only option is to move across the country to live with relatives until it is approved!

In the mean time, my granddaughter, which I have helped raise since the day she was born is crying every day, knowing I am leaving. She won't let go of me when I take her to school. She wants me to stay with her at cheerleading practice, and she even wants to sleep with me at night.

She has (up to this point) been a very well adjusted happy kid! Now that her Grandma, who has been her "other parent" has to leave, she is becoming a cry baby and won't let me out of her sight!

Of course, my heart is being ripped out too! How can I leave this baby, and live across the country? I am currently living on an air mattress in my ex-husbands living room. My daughter and granddaughter moved in with him when we lost our apartment, after I lost my last job. He let me "rent" the living room from him.

I thought I could go stay with my brother for a few months at a time, then come back here for a month, like three months there and one month here. I didn't know it would be so hard on my granddaughter!!!!!

I hate the system for taking so long! I hate this disease for taking my ability to work and provide for my family! I hate the San Francisco Bay area for being so freakin' expensive that I can't afford to live here!!!!!

darlindeb25 08-17-2011 06:58 AM

I was going to say, it's the economy that kills us. It's never simple, everything always seems so difficult. My grandkids are all 800 miles from me and I am not liking it. I wanting to go back, yet it's the job situation that will make all the difference for me too. I have full time work here and I can't go back without work.

Angels be with you and a speedy answer to your problems.:hug:

zorro1 08-18-2011 05:21 AM

Most people with this type of disease lead a life of quite desperation knowing that things may get much worse at any moment. It strikes at the very core of our being and your post reflects that being the loss of our health family,friends and financial independence.

Your story is moving and sad however your dealing with the worst case scenario and you will get through and be stronger. It may take another 14 months or may be 4 months to get your pension. I promise your Grand daughter wont forget you :) and you will be in a better place with some money coming in and off your ex husbands floor as well

dd in pain 08-18-2011 07:49 AM

Please take care.

nide44 08-20-2011 08:07 AM

I have 9 grandkids ranging in age from 22 to 3 yrs.

*admin edit*

Things are tough all over in this economy.

What kind of disability are you talking about? SSD?

Haave you thought about representation like a national firm that's called Binder & Binder. There are others but that one advertises a lot here. They don't get paid until you do. I think its 1/3 of your first check, back-dated to date of eligibility.

Also Legal Aid might have a dept dealing with disability and would cost nothing.

You need professional help, go out and see if you can get it.

cyclelops 08-20-2011 02:25 PM

Could your daughter and grand daughter possibly go with you to the new location? I feel so badly for all of you. :hug: All this stress and grief won't help the neuropathy!

SeamsLikeStitches 08-29-2011 12:28 AM

*edited*as post responded to was edited as per guidelines

hopeful 08-29-2011 09:40 PM

I am so sorry you may have to leave your granddaughter. I have one granddaughter also can't imagine having to leave her. It is going to be hard for you and her. Hopefully, you disability will come through quickly and you won't have to be gone long. I will keep you in my prayers
hopeful