NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Keep on Moving Club: December 2009 (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/109396-moving-club-december-2009-a.html)

BBS1951 11-30-2009 06:01 PM

Keep on Moving Club: December 2009

MS sometimes makes it hard to keep moving, exercising, stretching, so we do less and less. Before long, its not just MS that interferes with our mobility and health, its also atrophy of muscle causing more balance problems and more muscle weakness.

So, we started a Club to support and encourage us to keep moving --You use it or you lose it! So, what do you do-- do you stretch, do you walk, swim, aquacise, isometrics, lift free weights, Wii,calisthenics? Please join the club.
!

I swim a mile a day. In 2004, I was so weak, I could not walk across a room. Now I swim a mile every single day and I do free weights twice weekly to help with osteoporosis prevention. Cherie (clinical1) was able to stop using her w/c after she religiously worked on a pool based stretch/exercise routine daily.

What do you do

BBS1951 11-30-2009 06:02 PM

I swam a mile today and it was nice and warm--yay!

freeinhou 12-01-2009 07:58 AM

Swimming doesn't sound specifically too appealing right now, what with the current cold front FREEZING Houston...

All I do is walk any more. Sometimes run, like when it's raining...

Tom

SallyC 12-01-2009 11:44 AM

Tom, you can still run? Good for you. :hug:

Vonn07 12-01-2009 12:14 PM

greetings all you beautiful people!!

I'm working on my arms with weights ... and do push-ups (against the counter!) .. so I don't have to struggle to get up off the floor!! :D

ewizabeth 12-01-2009 01:11 PM

Hi Everybody! :)

I've been running after Rocky and Daisy many times a day (she's fast!) I'm just trying to prevent a bloodbath. :rolleyes: They are learning to get along better though, slow but sure.

I tried out the last of my new exercise DVDs yesterday. This one is by Prevention magazine and I really, really liked it. It's called "Express Belly Blast" and it's pretty easy to follow. I did 20 minutes of cardio intervals, ten minutes of weight/toning, five minutes of yoga and a five minute cool down. :)

BBS1951 12-02-2009 11:20 AM

Sally, I agree: Good for you for walking Tom :)

Ewiz, nice to hear about your doings :) Very cute cat.

That sounds good Vonn. I've done taht at work, the push ups against a countertop. I think its good for the bones :) I also do free weights for the bones. I hate it, its so boring, but necessary.

Debbie D 12-03-2009 03:40 PM

I finally got out of this prison and took the dog for a very short walk today...haven't had much energy at all in the two weeks since surgery. But there were snow flakes hitting our faces, and the furbaby stuck his nose up in the air and sniffed, then looked at me with a look of bliss on his face...it was nice to get even that little bit of movement today...:)
I do look forward to being released to do weight training again...I feel like a bowlful of jelly, just like Santa;)

BBS1951 12-03-2009 07:18 PM

That sounds like just what the doctor ordered Debbie :) Good job.

I swam my mile today in the rain.

BBS1951 12-04-2009 04:10 PM

I got up and went swimming before dawn to beat the bad storms. One mile :)