NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Looks like I will be trying copaxone again (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/68733-looks-trying-copaxone.html)

barb02 01-07-2009 07:19 PM

Looks like I will be trying copaxone again

Had an appointment at Barnes Hospital today. They are recommending that I try copaxone again. I had 5 IPIR's in the 4 1/2 months I was on it, but since interferons and tysabri are out ( allergic reactions, antibodies), she wants me to try it again. She also recommended I manually inject. So hopefully with the smaller needles and by manually injecting I may have less reactions. I have 2 or 3 new lesions in the past year so there is some progression. On a more positive note, she still thinks that my MS is relatively mild based on number and size of lesions and the fact that I did well during the physical exam.

If this does not work, she mentioned imuran as the next step. However, she also believes there will oral meds for ms in the "near" future.

dmplaura 01-07-2009 07:34 PM

I hope it works for you this time barb.

I've never experienced an IPIR... and I manually inject. Hrm. Though, if that's the reason for IPIRs (autoinjector) that would surprise me.

PS I'm jealous you have the 29 gauge needles! Still have crappy 27's here. :(

bombi 01-08-2009 08:11 AM

Good luck wiyh the switch and watch out for veins, I think that's why it happens. It is good that you are taking measures to slow your MS. Copax has been working for me, so far as anyone can tell but I'm looking forward to the release of Frampridine for improved mobility and some kind of oral or non interferon once a week or so med or a cure(?) Stay the course and be well.
Oh yeah, the smaller needles seem to lessen the site reactions.

Desinie 01-08-2009 08:43 AM

Good luck,Barb. I hope Copaxone works well for you this time. In my experience on it, I agree with Bombi, the IPIR's seemed to happen after hitting a vein. In over 9 years on it I've had maybe 10 IPIR's and each one seemed to be after I bled pretty much after an injection and had hit a vein.

lady_express_44 01-08-2009 10:45 AM

Good luck, Barb. I hope it works for you this time. :hug:

Cherie

dmplaura 01-08-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombi (Post 440926)
Good luck wiyh the switch and watch out for veins, I think that's why it happens.

Then that would make sense.

I make sure to dodge any dark lines when I'm doing my injections. ;)

Vonn07 01-08-2009 01:48 PM

hey Barb ... C-shooter here ... but, autoject2 ... or I'd pass out everyday!!

know that I'm here for ya too ... HUGS!!

Debbie D 01-08-2009 01:55 PM

Barb, thanks for sharing your exam results. Hope that Copaxone shows some lessening of lesion production for you.
I'm still having trouble with huge welts where I shoot, esp the thighs. I need to call Shared Solutions about it, since it hasn't lessened after one month.
How do you know how far in to put the needle when you inject manually?

ewizabeth 01-08-2009 01:58 PM

I hope it works better this time Barb. :hug: I fared much better when I switched to manual injections. Before that I hit muscle a few times and that was incredibly painful.

ewizabeth 01-08-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 441130)
Barb, thanks for sharing your exam results. Hope that Copaxone shows some lessening of lesion production for you.
I'm still having trouble with huge welts where I shoot, esp the thighs. I need to call Shared Solutions about it, since it hasn't lessened after one month.
How do you know how far in to put the needle when you inject manually?

It just needs to go under the skin Deb. I had a technique but don't know how to describe it. A nurse can show you how to do it.