NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Any ideas to help me brush my teeth. . ..other hygiene (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/157128-ideas-help-brush-teeth-hygiene.html)

Mari 09-13-2011 01:57 PM

Any ideas to help me brush my teeth. . ..other hygiene

Hi,

My plan is usually that
1. i brush my teeth
2. I go to bed

Individually each is hard. Together they are almost impossible lately.

I hate brushing my teeth and I hate to go to bed.
Sometimes I do not do either one. I'm not brushing and I am not going to bed. I fall asleep after the Gabapentin sitting at the computer in a little chair or on the couch.
I sleep a a hour at a time until eventually I get up extremely depressed.

My life feels out of control.

M

BlueMajo 09-13-2011 03:29 PM

Aw Mari :hug:

Sleeping is more important than brushing teeth in my humble opinion... hehe, so, first let's focus on that you have to sleep and then in the teeth...

If you are falling asleep "suddenly" in a couch... why not brushing your teeth right after waking up ? Will that be easier and less.... hum... a minor bother for you ??

I hate to brush my teeth too if you ask me... Im laaaaaaaaaaaazy !!! :rolleyes: Plus I know I wont kiss anybody during the day annnnnd to be honest, I dont care about caries anymore...

Oh well, let's fight against the brush teeth thing together ok ?

Much love !

bizi 09-13-2011 05:36 PM

sorry.... I religiously brush my teeth twice a day...I think I have bad breath if I don't. yes and brushing my teeth and taking my meds go together too, right before I go to sleep, and smooch my sweetie good night.
Could you somehow orchestrate that with a smooch to your sweetie?
just a thought.
bizi

Mari 09-13-2011 05:59 PM

Hi

I don't like to sleep at night. Sometimes I drop off.

I can brush my teet in the middle of the day. I don't like to do it around sleep time because I stay up. It's not logical.

M

Vowel Lady 09-13-2011 07:51 PM

I'm sure you already know this, but you should probably talk with your doc about troubles falling asleep. Think about a medication tweek. Also, can you take/try melatonin at night if you miss more than one night of sleep?

In a pinch, you could always use a good mouthwash on a night that you are "over the top" unable to brush your teeth prior to going to bed. However, you might make a promise with yourself never to do this more than once a week.

bizi 09-13-2011 08:54 PM

IT sounds exhausting...
I am sorry mari, wish I had some better Idea....
hugs to you tonight
((((HUGS))))
bizi

waves 09-13-2011 09:42 PM

Dear Mari,

i have a similar problem.

i used to be really rigorous about my teeth until i had years of not-good-state mostly deprssion interspersed with patches of other stuff.

now i am still fighting to get into the swing.

my original routine was to brush very very well before i went to bed - whenever that was, because then your mouth sits with whatever is in it, and there is less salivation to disinfect. that is the medical argument for doing your "best brushing" before bed. and then just light onceover in he morning worked wonders. sometimes i'd brush after lunch not always.

BUT. i am having troubel gettig back as i said.

so my strategy right now is kinda vague:
SLEEP --- whenever opportunity coincides with need/sleepiness.

TEETH --- whenever i can get myself to, regardless that it might be right before dinner :rolleyes:
meanwhile, it can help just to rinse with water after meals. will remove particles and acidic deposit that can damage teeth.

best i can do... :Sigh:

paddle along... paddle along.... maybe at somepoint someone will put wind in our sails.... :hug::hug::hug:

~ waves ~

mymorgy 09-14-2011 10:19 AM

right now i wouldn't put anymore pressure on yourself.if you want, brush your teeth in the middle of the day. just remove whatever stress you can. stress isn''t good for your gums.
bobby

Mari 09-15-2011 01:36 AM

Hi,
Thanks ladies.
'Sounds good.
I'm going to brush during the day.

M.

waves 09-15-2011 04:57 AM

couple more thoughts

Dear Mari
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 805617)
I'm going to brush during the day.

Sounds good!

-----------------------------
One more idea, just in case it can help...

My mom brushes some time after dinner and dishes. Then she does relaxing stuff (tv, reading/crosswords). Then bed. This separates teeth and bed-going by several hours. She doesn't eat anything in those hours though.

I don't know if something like this could work for you. I snack kind of whenever, so this wouldn't work for me... :o

-----------------------------
The only other thing i can recommend - it comes to mind because i'm overdue for one - if you know you are just not brushing enough, can you squeeze in a professional cleaning once every 6 months? that will really help keep bad things from happening. i don't know how feasible that is. i know appointments are PITAs to juggle with work (which is how i came to be overdue... :rolleyes:)

anyway take care... and, really:

just DO WHAT WORKS for YOU! Every little bit counts! :heartthrob::circlelove:

~ waves ~