NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   A little worried about my mum... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/59813-little-worried-mum.html)

ali12 11-15-2008 07:03 AM

A little worried about my mum...

Hi everyone,

I am a little bit worried about my mum. For a few weeks now she hasn't been feeling well at all and she now has this weird tingling sensation in her left arm that comes and goes. Sometimes if she is carrying something, she feels has though she is going to drop it has her arm seems to "give way". She works in a pretty stressful job (she is an IT manager) and her boss has been acting funny with her lately about her having time off work to take care of me due to my RSD.

My mum's mum (my grandma) had Progressive MS and her MS came on similar to what my mum is experiencing, although her's was her vision that first started acting up.

Mum says she is going to call our GP on Monday if she doesn't feel any better, hopefully it will be something that can easily be sorted but i'm a bit worried about her. We have a family history of neurological illnesses, I have RSD, my grandad had Progressive MS, my great grandma has Dementia and my Uncle had Parkinsons Disease.

Just wondered if any of you had any suggestions that may help or if any of you have been through a similar situation.

Thanks ever so much!
Alison

legzzalot 11-15-2008 07:41 AM

Wow, you have so much to deal with at such a young age. My heart goes out to you and your family. The best advice is to keep on her about going. She may be putting it off because she is scared, but it is important that she go.

Good luck to both of you.

ali12 11-15-2008 08:01 AM

Thank you so much Legzzalot for your kind words. I will definitely make sure my mum goes to see our GP. I keep nagging her and she say's "It might be better soon, just leave it until Monday" but i've told her it's better to be safe rather than sorry and that hopefully the doctor will be able to help her.

She has promised to call the doctors on Monday if it is no better so we shall see .... In the mean time, I will keep nagging her and keeping an eye on her!!

Thanks again and I will keep you updated.

Alison:hug:

Momma's Kids 11-15-2008 08:18 AM

Sweetie, you are such a good daughter!! It could be from a lot of things, so try not to worry until you have something to worry about...and then still try not to worry.

She really does need to get it checked, it could be a restricted nerve due to carrying heavy files, etc. It might not be all that painful but it will cause numbness in the arms, hands, fingers...

Hope you both get answers soon.

legzzalot 11-15-2008 09:13 AM

And it's true it could be a number of things and it could be nothing. But as I have discovered in the last few weeks, the guessing game is the worst. It is better to know.

Riverwild 11-15-2008 12:06 PM

Ahhh Ali,

It sounds as if you have the weight of the world on your shoulders, when you should be carefree and starting to enjoy your teens and doing things that get YOU in trouble!:)

All you can do with Mum is keep encouraging her to see the doctor. I bet she is worried abut what may come of the visit, but it's better to know now so she can start treatment for whatever it is that is ailing her. You can't make her go. Just keep letting her know that you love her and you worry about her and that whatever it is, she and you, will be ok and will deal with it.

Let us know how it goes! :hug::hug::hug:

Kitty 11-15-2008 12:17 PM

:hug: Ali :hug: You do have alot on your plate at such a young age. Your Mom is just being like most of us Mom's are.....putting off taking care of herself. :rolleyes: She'll make it to the doctor's office...all you can do is let her know you care and are concerned for her health. You're a good daughter. If I had a daughter I'd hope she'd be like you. :)

SandyC 11-15-2008 12:32 PM

Ali, I am sorry you have to worry so much. :hug: It may be nothing at all or something fixable so try to not worry just yet. I went through a similar ailment about two years ago. I couldn't lift a gallon of milk without pain and feeling like I could drop it. It got so bad that lifting a glass was becoming difficult. It turned out it was repetitive movement that was causing my problems and when I stopped that, I got better. They did think it was carpal tunnel and tested me but the testing was negative for that.

If it is something else we are here to help support you and your family. Try hard to lift this burden from your shoulders. Your mom will seek help when the time is right for her. In the meantime just let her know you love her and need her to stay well. :hug:

Twinkletoes 11-15-2008 12:42 PM

Awwww, so sorry that you have your Mum's health to worry about. :( I hope it is something simple like Sandy suggested.

Whatever it is, you two are a team and must look out for each other. Do whatever you can to see that she follows through and sees the GP on Monday.

GO TEAM! :)

SallyC 11-15-2008 01:04 PM

I hope it's just a passing thing with your Mum, Ali. My Mom wouldn't go to the Doc either, unless she absolutely had to go. She would always say that if you go to the Doctor, he/she will always find something.:p

:hug: