NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Have You Lost Your Strength? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/104181-lost-strength.html)

poochie 09-28-2009 02:58 PM

Have You Lost Your Strength?

I have very little strength in my legs and hands anymore. Seems like the more I try to exercise, the less strenth I have. I don't know anything else I can do to help this, any suggestions?

karousel 09-28-2009 03:13 PM

I too have lost strength in my arms and legs and especially in my hands. I guess strength training might help - something I have started at the YMCA and hope to see some results. Will check back for other suggestions!

Twinkletoes 09-28-2009 03:21 PM

Diminishing strength in my hands, but won't complain (much) as long as I can still type.

Fortunately, a very "helpful" woman told me last week that I could treat this by wearing a magnetic bracelet like she does. I told her that wouldn't re-myelinate my nerves, but she was convinced it would help anyway b/c it helped her arthritis. Thanks, but no thanks! :cool:

Dejibo 09-28-2009 03:37 PM

yep! I can no longer pop tops off cans, and bottles. I can no longer walk for 5 miles without thinking about it. In weather extremes (hot or cold) i feel it worse.

Kitty 09-28-2009 04:34 PM

Yes, I've noticed a loss of overall strength. Especially in my hands. Depending on the weather my legs get very weak, too. I think I notice it more in my legs because it becomes very hard to keep my balance and I tire out so quickly. The barometric pressure outside really messes with me and I can almost predict what kind of day I'll have by listening to the weather forecast! :rolleyes:

SallyC 09-28-2009 05:16 PM

Its not as thoughh I'm getting weaker by the day, but I do notice a lot less strength on humid days or if I'm ill, but on some days I notice a boost in strength.

Overall I am weaker that I was 10 years ago, but LDN has helped me to keep a certain amount of stength, I don't think I'd have without it. Stretching and keeping it moving daily also helps.

((((((poochie)))))))

Aarcyn 09-28-2009 07:38 PM

I am definitely weaker than a year ago. It may be a combination of MS and medication. I take Baclofen and I think a side effect is weakening of the muscles. Don't quote me on that though.

I found a delightful TV workout, 30 minutes per day.

I am not sure anything can really help but it can't hurt either. Just getting on and off the floor is my cardio.:o:rolleyes::D But I have a sense of humor about using the bed to pull myself up to a standing position.

marion06095 09-28-2009 08:32 PM

This works for me

I was frustrated with trying to exercise, but then I invented a philosophy that works for me. I know that the objective of exercise for an MS patient is to exercise so that we will be able to continue to use our muscles to move our bodies. After a few years of research and experimentation I think I stumbled upon a way to exercise that isn’t unpleasant for the MS patient, and it is actually more beneficial than regular (grunt) exercise. Effortless body movement is key. I was introduced to this idea when I read on the Internet about a study done using a special bicycle-built-for-two. An able-bodied person was put on the bike, and an MS person was also put in the second position. The MS person’s only contribution was to keep their feet on the pedals, while the able-bodied person cranked the pedals and kept them in motion. The only way I could think of to achieve effortless movement was to move my limbs in water. Certainly I could kick like a Vegas dancer if I was standing in shoulder-deep water, and move my arms. So I tried it. I’d just stand in shoulder-deep water and kick as if there were nothing in the world wrong with my legs. No huffing and puffing. No actual muscle effort. Simply movement. I do that for an hour, three times a week. As a result, my legs don’t swell, and I enjoy much better mobility, and I am in much less pain.

Perhaps some day there will be a study, but until then I'm just doing what works for me.

SallyC 09-28-2009 08:46 PM

Good post, Marion...effortless movement...I like it!!!!! :)

pud's friend 09-29-2009 06:01 AM

yes, i am officially 'a little weakling' according to Himself. From rock climbing/parachuting/triathlon queen to weak and feeble little miss. ah well.