NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Knee pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/104398-knee-pain.html)

Trishann 09-30-2009 03:07 PM

Knee pain

Well I had a MRI done on my knee today. Won't know the result until next Wednesday. Don't know if PN is causing it or something else is going on with it too, just know that at times I just want to cry because of the pain. Sometimes it hurts even to straight it out.

Have to go down a hill slope, and my knee, hurt so bad. Hope it something they can fix.

Trish :grouphug:

mrsD 09-30-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trishann (Post 572825)
Well I had a MRI done on my knee today. Won't know the result until next Wednesday. Don't know if PN is causing it or something else is going on with it too, just know that at times I just want to cry because of the pain. Sometimes it hurts even to straight it out.

Have to go down a hill slope, and my knee, hurt so bad. Hope it something they can fix.

I go down steep hills, slopes (we live on a hill after all), sideways with small steps. I also go down stairs this way. I can no longer extend my right knee forwards without dislocating it, which started years ago.

There are new flexible nylon knee braces with open patella, and side metal supports, that may help you a bit. Do check them out, and make sure you don't get one that is too tight.
This is one type:
http://www.drbraceco.com/DonJoy-Late...Knee-Brace.php
I don't like the neoprene ones...too hot.

These are constantly being changed, improved. So styles change frequently.

Trishann 10-08-2009 07:44 PM

MrsD, I went to my doctor today and she said that some of the cartilage is thin and because of it, I am having some fiction going on in the knee, which also causing the inflammation.

She gave me a cortisone shot in my knee, and put a knee brace on. It sort of look like the one you gave the information about the knee brace. The knee brace seems like it is helping from twisting it so much.

So I guess this is something also that will effect me during my life. But I am glad about the good knee brace.

Trish :hug:

JoanB 10-09-2009 09:06 AM

Trishann, I'm sorry you're having pain in your knee. I sure hope the cortisone helps. I've had several of them, and it does take a few days to know for sure what the full effect will be.

Good luck. I know what that pain feels like and I wouldn't wish it on anyone! :hug:

Trishann 10-09-2009 06:28 PM

Thanks Joan, praying that it will be effective too. Thanks for letting me know sometimes it takes a few days to know the full effects of it.

Trishann 10-11-2009 04:42 PM

It has been a few days now and I don't think the cortisone has worked yet.
My husband tells me sometimes it can take up to couple of weeks. I still wonder if this friction of bone rubbing can cause this much pain and if something else is going on and the MRI did not show it. Would love to be able to just take a walk around the block today.

Trish

Trishann 10-11-2009 04:45 PM

Sorry but another question, could the PN be aggravting it too.

Trish

mrsD 10-11-2009 04:58 PM

I don't know, but definitely the knee can refer to the feet and cause more pain.

There is a supplement that can help restore cartilage...it is called SAMe.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread5846.html

When my right knee gave out... I started this supplement in 1999 and it rebuilt my knee. It took time, but the dreaded knee replacement was not needed, and the left knee as predicted did not follow suit--- the doctor say 5 yrs or so for the left. I am here today, at 62, with both my knees!

Trishann 10-12-2009 09:52 AM

Thanks MrsD, I will have to checked into it. It would be good to get off the pain medicine. I don't do good with potassium and vitamin C in supplements but as I have been reading the labels on the website it does not have these in it.

Thanks for the information. Oh yes, my knee is going a little better today, hope it continual to do so. Maybe the supplement will help keep it that way.

Trish

rscowboy2005 10-13-2009 03:02 PM

I'm confused...

[QUOTE=mrsD;577072]I don't know, but definitely the knee can refer to the feet and cause more pain.

*** Has the PN affected the knee somehow?

*** My (previous -- I fired him) neurologist assured me I did not have to worry about mobility issues with PN. While the pain at times makes walking difficult, I haven't felt as though it affects my joints. I've had several knee surgeries in my lifetime and went through some of that bone-on-bone pain a few years ago (pre-PN); took the shot and lost some weight (it's a 1 for 5 bonus with weight loss -- 1 pound lost = 5 pounds less pressure on the joint) and have not had knee-centered pain since.

Cowboy