NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   problems sleeping help please:( (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/113900-sleeping-help-please.html)

hannah1234 02-05-2010 04:54 AM

problems sleeping help please:(

does anyone have problems sleeping??? I can't fall asleep until 3ish in the morning and then, i toss and turn all night long and then I dont wake up until like noon the next day. I can't keep going on like this because I need to be up in the morning. I have tried baths, meditating, reading, sleep tapes, I take remeron for sleeping- but when i take it i sleep for 14 hours. And that is WAYYY too long I wake up feeling worse than if i didnt sleep at all. my family around me just gets frustrated with me because at night i could fall asleep about 6pm or 3am... I cant fall asleep any time in the middle. When i go to sleep at 6pm i wake up at like 3am... and then that is just too early to be up. I see my doc this week and have been suffering this problem for about 9 months, and dont know what to do from here.... any help would be nice:confused:

keep smilin 02-05-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannah1234 (Post 618114)
does anyone have problems sleeping??? I can't fall asleep until 3ish in the morning and then, i toss and turn all night long and then I dont wake up until like noon the next day. I can't keep going on like this because I need to be up in the morning. I have tried baths, meditating, reading, sleep tapes, I take remeron for sleeping- but when i take it i sleep for 14 hours. And that is WAYYY too long I wake up feeling worse than if i didnt sleep at all. my family around me just gets frustrated with me because at night i could fall asleep about 6pm or 3am... I cant fall asleep any time in the middle. When i go to sleep at 6pm i wake up at like 3am... and then that is just too early to be up. I see my doc this week and have been suffering this problem for about 9 months, and dont know what to do from here.... any help would be nice:confused:

So sorry for your sleeping issues..it can be fustrating and a vicious circle...I take tylenol pm or something pm before bed..even take 1 pill if your sensitive..I have to also or I will wake up so It is a must for me..if that does not cut it ask your Dr. for a script..Ambien works great too even 1 pill or a lower dose..they gave it to me in the hospital and I slept like a baby..

KS:hug:

Courtw84 02-05-2010 11:40 AM

Tylenol PM also helps me when I can't sleep! I sleep like a baby with that. Try to take you Epson Salt baths, (if you take them) closer to bed time, maybe. It relaxes me, and helps me fall asleep!!!! It worth a shot. Also, when I tosss and turn last night, the last thing I want to do is get out of bed and walk around a second, but I have found that getting up, even to walk to the bathroom, helps get the blood circulating, and I can usually sleep better after.

It worth a shot!!!

Momlovetobake 02-05-2010 01:07 PM

Try melatonin its a like a vitamin and it wont make you sleepy it gradually gets you to sleep so you can feel refreshed in the morning.

daniella 02-05-2010 02:12 PM

Sleep issues are my middle name. I had this issue pre rsd and now with it when my pain is high it is even worse. My psych used to say I am on sleep meds for the size of a horse. Have you been to a psych? To me they are with better knowledge of sleep then gp or pain docs. I know it helped for a short time for me trazedone and my pain doc suggested that again for me. Have you asked about a lower dose of remeron? Be careful about tylenol pms too often because that can impact the liver.

hannah1234 02-05-2010 03:21 PM

I have tried Tylonel PM, I have tried melatonin for many years pre-rsd... Thanks soo much!!! I did the baths... its like my brain wont stop working... it just keeps going. I dont know if that makes any sense... Thanks...:)

geronimo 02-05-2010 03:36 PM

Same problem here. Was on high strength ambien for a long time, but after a while I started having problems with it. I had quite a few times where I would be knocked out for a hour or 2, then have a bad flair up. I wouldnt be able to wake up completely and the pain would turn into a nasty, realistic nightmare where my rsd leg was being crushed or on fire. Been woken up by family members before cause I was screaming in pain and when they would wake me up I'd b crying and in pain, almost in shock cause I would think the nightmare was real until I could shake off the ambian cobwebs. The nightmares were really realistic and visual. Now I only take a smaller dose occasionally, when I really need to get sleep. Doesnt seem to happen unless I'm taking the larger dose regularly for a long time. I don't know how common this is...but throwing out a heads up. Now my family knows whats going on, but the first 2 times it happened I scared the crap outta them-especially the kids.

hipnochik 02-05-2010 03:38 PM

Hello, Hannah

I too had sleep problems and my doc put me on Amyltriptoline and it works great. It has added benefits of helping with pain and mood. I take it about 1/2 before bed and sleep for 8 or 9 hours. I am sooo greatful, sometimes sleep is the only refuge from all the mental and pyhsical strain. THere has to be something out there that will help you. Good luck, I know it bites to not sleep. . .just agravates everything.

Gentl hugs,
Kelly

Wilbyfree 02-05-2010 03:41 PM

Hi Hannah, I am sorry for your sleepless nights, it is a vicious cycle and makes dealing with this illness a whole lot worse when we don't get any rest. I take Desaryl, (generic trazadone), it has been a true blessing for me. I take 25 mg a night, but can take two if the nerve pain is severe. Do watch the Tylenol PM, especially if you are on any other medication with acetaminophen in it. Wishing you a goodnight of rest.

Jeanie

SandyRI 02-05-2010 03:51 PM

I take 800 mg of Skalaxin, a muscle relaxer, an hour before bedtime, and 12.5 mg of Ambien cr at bedtime. I do wake up every night with pain, and will take a pain med in the middle of the night to try to get back to sleep. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I get up every day at 6 a.m. whether or not I've slept well. And I walk with friends and our dogs every day at 7:30. Unless it's pouring rain out. I have found that by getting up early every day at the same time, even if I haven't slept well, leads to a better night's sleep the next evening. I will nap if I'm severely sick with pain, though. But not for too long.

Good luck, I HATE IT when I lose a lot of sleep. I always feel worse. I think the meds have helped me sleep much better. XOXOX Sandy