NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Cramping in foot - MS thing? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/115964-cramping-foot-ms.html)

karousel 03-04-2010 08:23 AM

Cramping in foot - MS thing?

I'm going to see my neuro this week and will ask him but wanted to ask the experts -- all of you! -- if you have any idea if this is an MS thing. I have been having cramping in the arch of my feet especially at night. I was dx'd with bursitis in my feet and after I finally started to get relief from that by taking my extra strong anti-inflamatory meds this cramping started. I started taking potassium and it seemed to help for a while but now the cramping is back. I know it's a small thing, it could be so much worse, and I hate to whine about but ignoring it doesn't seem to be helping this time. :p Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

legzzalot 03-04-2010 08:36 AM

No advise to the foot cramps just :hug:

Voltaren is an NSAID that has worked wonders for my joint pain, and the muscle cramps have eased up with it too. I hear they make a gel, it might help.

AfterMyNap 03-04-2010 08:39 AM

Hey, K,

Foot and leg spasticity often feels like, or is, cramping. I get it a lot and it's common to experience it more just as you're nodding off. Definitely mention it to your neuro, it might be the charming spasticity some of us enjoy so much.

chiarichic 03-04-2010 11:04 AM

Foot Cramps

I dont know what meds you are on but some can deplete the body of essential nutrients because they block the absorption or just change the way the body uses it. Calcium/magnesium supplements are enough for me to ease mild cramping and when I get that funny tingly numb foot falling asleep thing I make sure I've had my B12/folic acid. I found out I don't absorb and use the more commonly sold B12 with the cyanocobalamin(sp?). I take the Methyl formula and I see a huge difference in energy and tingly stuff. All this helps, but Im not saying I have left conventional medicine behind me, I just pay attention to my nutrition before I ask for dose changes or different meds altogether. Hope it helps.

tkrik 03-04-2010 11:12 AM

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. :hug: As soon as I feel like my foot is going to cramp I get up (if I am not already standing) and start my stretching exercises - stepping on the ball of my foot and then pushing my heel back down and then up again and down again. I also stretching out the calf muscles. It doesn't always help but many times it will stop the spasm from spreading right up my leg to my butt - which happens quite often - and locking my leg up.

Rubbing the ball of your foot with your hands - massage like - helps as well.

Blessings2You 03-04-2010 11:32 AM

If the blankets are tight on my feet (when lying on my back) my feet/ankles will cramp. Talk about your rude awakening. Feels like they're clenching like fists. The first thing I do when I (used to) stay in a hotel is yank the blankets out from under the mattress.

SallyC 03-04-2010 01:40 PM

Everyone had great prospective and advise, K....just adding..:hug::hug::hug:

Riverwild 03-04-2010 04:16 PM

The spazzes usually try to get going when I am just starting to fall asleep. My feet try to point in the opposite direction of normal and if I let it go it will lock up a leg and I will be out of bed, screaming and jumping around the room. The old man hates when I do that, regardless of whether he is sleeping or awake...LOL

I take 4 mg. of tizanidine at bedtime. It holds them at bay. I also wear socks to make sure my feet are warm because it seems that the cold makes the spasms/cramps worse.

Pink 03-06-2010 07:37 AM

Oh yes, cramps here too. MS, I think so, but I'm not a Dr nor have I addressed it with one. I had not put it together till I saw Riverwind's post, but I also think socks help. I was having terrible cramps a few months back, then I started sleeping in socks (just because I was cold) and they went away. I'm still in socks and with no cramps. I think I'll keep sleeping in socks when summer comes. Better safe then sorry. Good Luck :hug:

karousel 03-06-2010 10:28 PM

Thank you everyone for your input! I loving being able to ask all of you about things since I know I'll get good responses that will help me. I think I'll try some of the stretches and see if that helps. I do sleep with socks but sometimes that is what starts the cramping - and that will be something to mention to the neuro when I tell him about the cramping. I think I'll hold off on seeing my foot doctor until I see my neuro, I'm sure it's an MS thing.