NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello! in desperate need of help (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/116533-hello-desperate-help.html)

piag6245 03-12-2010 09:38 AM

Hello! in desperate need of help

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and in a desperate situation. I have searched and researched "post menopause" and I'm not getting anything other then loss of bone density, and other things not related to anything I'm feeling! I have not had a period for 3 years and yet I'm moody, a lot of ups and downs, I recently had a argument with my 30 year old daughter (Said awful things) Although I have apoligised several times it has been over a month she will not talk to me. My husband has left me he says "he can't deal with it" I am currently on paxil 30mg twice a day for anxiety/depression. I also have xanax I take 0.50 in the morning. Same evening dose as needed which is not too often. Are any of you experiencing post menopause symptoms such as sadness, fatigue, saying things you wouldn't normally say, I feel like i'm having p.m.s. I have been to the doctor my hormone levels are normal. I am going back to the doctor on Saturday, my husband feels i am bipolar and I want to discuss these things with my doctor. I should mention that all of this started about 2 months ago after recovering from a bout of the flu and pnemonia. or I should say the worst of it started then. any input would be greatly, greatly, apreciated! Thanks, Sincerely, Susan

Kitty 03-12-2010 02:36 PM

Hi Susan. Welcome to NeuroTalk!

We have a Women's Health forum here that you might try posting in. Here's the link.....http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum41.html. Maybe someone there can relate to what you're experiencing. Do you think it could be a form of PMDD? Here is a screening tool for the condition: http://pmdd.factsforhealth.org/have/takescreener.asp

I sincerely hope you can find some relief. :hug:

tamiloo 03-12-2010 08:30 PM

Just wanted to welcome you to NT.

You might want to maybe keep a journal of your emotions so maybe your doc could see some sort of pattern if possible.
I would still talk to your doc about all the different variables. Hope you get some relief soon. :hug:

NurseNancy 03-13-2010 12:44 AM

hi susan and welcome,

i'm glad you're going to the dr. please be honest with him. i hope he can help you. sometimes a change of medication is in order.

i feel for you. i had premature ovarian shutdown when i was in my 30's but no one dx'd it. i still remember how rageful i was and climbing the walls with irritability and anger.

when i was finally Rx'd hormones i got much better. i also went thru some heavy counseling. now i'm a very peaceful sort of person.

good luck. keep us posted.

Darlene 03-13-2010 02:40 AM

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Happy to see you have come to be with us. Just let us know if we can be of any help. There are great number of fellow members here to assist as possible.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene:hug:

pabb 03-13-2010 07:29 AM

i would think a THOROUGH endocrine work up is in order, there are more "hormones" than just the "sex" ones.....good luck

piag6245 03-13-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabb (Post 632103)
i would think a THOROUGH endocrine work up is in order, there are more "hormones" than just the "sex" ones.....good luck

Thank you, I will mention this to my Doc. who I see today at 11:15.

MelodyL 03-13-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piag6245 (Post 631804)
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and in a desperate situation. I have searched and researched "post menopause" and I'm not getting anything other then loss of bone density, and other things not related to anything I'm feeling! I have not had a period for 3 years and yet I'm moody, a lot of ups and downs, I recently had a argument with my 30 year old daughter (Said awful things) Although I have apoligised several times it has been over a month she will not talk to me. My husband has left me he says "he can't deal with it" I am currently on paxil 30mg twice a day for anxiety/depression. I also have xanax I take 0.50 in the morning. Same evening dose as needed which is not too often. Are any of you experiencing post menopause symptoms such as sadness, fatigue, saying things you wouldn't normally say, I feel like i'm having p.m.s. I have been to the doctor my hormone levels are normal. I am going back to the doctor on Saturday, my husband feels i am bipolar and I want to discuss these things with my doctor. I should mention that all of this started about 2 months ago after recovering from a bout of the flu and pnemonia. or I should say the worst of it started then. any input would be greatly, greatly, apreciated! Thanks, Sincerely, Susan

Hi, and Welcome.

I think PABB nailed it. There are hormones afoot here. All your mood swings indicate this.

Go and see an endocrinologist.

Doctors will often say "Oh, it's all in your mind".

It's not ALL IN OUR MIND. Sometimes, IT'S ALL IN OUR HORMONES.

Again, welcome to Neurotalks.

I hope you get your answers.

Take a deep breath, find something you like to do, and go and do it.

Sometimes we have to put ourselves first.

It's hard, but it's necessary.

Stress can kill you.

Take care,

Melody

Rrae 03-13-2010 12:52 PM

How long have you been on Paxil ?

I've taken anti-depressants off and on for a long time. Wellbutrin worked best for me. At one point I thought it had lost it's effect on me and was switched to Paxil.

....... I turned into an unrecognizable horrible individual and demonstrated terrible psychotic behavior towards others. It was unbelievable.
Biggest regret of my life.

But this is just me......just saying. :Dunno:

David M 03-13-2010 09:55 PM

Sounds like some good advice already. PMDD or thyroid issues are great considerations. Have you had any MRI's? I hate to hear that your family is so upset with you over this. One might also consider bipolar disorders as well as this may also create mood swings. Sometimes one has a predisposition for the disorder and something may trigger full blown manic or depressed episodes. In that case antidepressants are not going to help. If you have gotten your antidepressants from your GP, I would recommend going to a Psychiatrist to get an evaluation. Since depression is so commonly treated by GP's, often more complicated diagnosis are overlooked.

Good luck in your pursuit of a solution.

BEST!