NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   CPAP woes! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/123011-cpap-woes.html)

barb02 05-26-2010 04:33 PM

CPAP woes!

I am about ready to give up on my cpap. I lay in bed for over an hour each night before I give up and take it off. (I have had trouble falling asleep for years. I hoped that the CPAP for help with my insomnia but it has not.) Then I put it back on a few hours later for a few hours. Wake up coughing(due to sinus drainage) and take it off. Put it back on... I can't seem to lay on my side without a lot of air leaking out. You get the picture. I only have to use it a minimum of four hours each night for my insurance to cover it which I have manged to do (I think). But I am awake for a lot of that time. I turn in the computer disk on Friday and it will show whether I have been in compliance. I have been using it for two months.

Debbie D 05-26-2010 08:01 PM

Barb,
You have the "pillows", right? I have the small mask that fits over my nose. I sleep really so much better when I use it. when I don't I wake myself up snoring and I stop breathing. The machine helps me so much.
Make sure you have the straps tight enough. I get leakage when the straps are too lax. I tighten them and it's fine.
Don't give up...sleep apnea is such a dangerous condition...

barb02 05-26-2010 08:22 PM

No, I don't have the pillows. I have a nasal mask. They said they did not recommend the pillows if you had allergies.

doydie 05-26-2010 10:57 PM

I find that sometimes if I hold the tubing it helps keep a good seal. Then I am asleep and I guess it still has a good seal. I no longer know cause I'm asleep. I can't sleep on my back. I'v always been a side sleeper. I start out on my right and then sometimes sleep on my left.

Do you use the 'ramp' setting on the CPAP? I really relied on that at first.

barb02 05-27-2010 08:39 AM

I do use the ramp setting. I actually find it kind of annoying. I don't feel like I can really breath until the full setting is achieved. I just looked at mine and saw that I could lower the ramp setting. I think I will try that.

Debbie D 05-27-2010 02:06 PM

Don't hesitate to call the service that provides you with the machine...they might be able to help you adjust everything.
I was taking it off in my sleep a couple of days, and woke up feeling like a zombie...it helps me stop that awful snoring and bad breathing. I'm so glad I have it...never thought I'd say that!:rolleyes:

Earl 05-27-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 658471)
No, I don't have the pillows. I have a nasal mask. They said they did not recommend the pillows if you had allergies.

I have allergies and use the pillows and it is just fine.

I agree that it takes getting used to. It took me a good few months to get comfortable with it but now I can't do without. The pillows make it much easier to sleep on my side.

doydie 05-27-2010 10:59 PM

Mine is so comfortable sometimes I forget I have it on. I would never think of going anywhere without it. I even use it when napping just so I do't snore. My unit is about 3 years old. I need to see how much it would be to replace it. I do know I need a new resorvoir. I wish my husband would consent to a sleep study. He sleeps so restlessly and never feels like he gets a good nights sleep. It is better since he retired and he doesn't lay awake fretting about work.

Kitty 05-28-2010 05:57 AM

Barb, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with things. :hug:

On a lighter note......when I read the thread title I thought it said "CRAP Woes" and I couldn't imagine what the subject matter would be! :D :o

barb02 05-28-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 658940)
Barb, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with things. :hug:

On a lighter note......when I read the thread title I thought it said "CRAP Woes" and I couldn't imagine what the subject matter would be! :D :o

Kelly --:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO: