NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Allowed to go home today (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/14784-allowed-home.html)

Brian 03-05-2007 04:52 AM

Allowed to go home today

Firstly. Thank you all so much for your warm replies to Leannes update.

The doc's let me come home today, 5 days post op, that is the minimal amount of days they will let you out of hospital after a total hip replacement, its normally 7 -10 if everything is going ok.
The next day after the op i done a little walk with crutches then back to bed pretty quickly, exhausted, but being the determined bugger i am :) i was up and trying again a couple of hours later,[ they want you to move and not lay around in fear of blood clots forming and breaking off and going up to your lungs] by the third day i was doing complete laps of the whole ortho ward, by day 4 i was doing 3 laps and the same the next day.
I am still pretty sore and swollen & bruised, but getting a bit stronger each day, getting a bit tired now so i will catch up with you all a bit later.
ps - Bob, that was funny :D :D

THANKS EVERYONE

Brian :)

darlindeb25 03-05-2007 05:46 AM

Congrats Brian--I wish you continued "speedy" recovery. Sometimes we have to bite the bullett and work through the pain or we will just sit and vegetate--I think you are doing wonderfully. Keep up the good work.

Deb

glenntaj 03-05-2007 06:46 AM

Good to hear from you mate--

--and that you are up and "exercising" so quickly.

I certainly understand the blood clot concern.

What meds have they put you on, post op, if any, to address that and/or any pain conerns?

mrsD 03-05-2007 07:13 AM

Wow...that is great!

Are you on any anticoagulant therapy? Many hip patients here in USA get
anticoag for a while after the surgery. (same with knee replacements).
But alot has to do with your medical history as well.

Don't overdo...it is tempting!

Do you need heavy duty pain meds?

Sounds like you are doing great so far! :hug:

You know you can do isometrics in bed... my physical therapist recommended that when I was laid up. They say if moves
the blood around. So you can contract the muscles in your legs hold for 5 -10 sec and relax and accomplish blood clot
prevention. With your good leg you can slowly run the heel of your foot as you bend the knee towards you...keeping the
heel on the bedsheet. (don't tense up, just do it naturally). This simulates walking. Start at the feet with the muscle working
and end up in the buttocks. I still do them, BTW!

HeyJoe 03-05-2007 07:27 AM

Great to hear you are home early. Keep up the good work.

dahlek 03-05-2007 12:07 PM

Brian, your new 'password'...

is/has/must be 'patience'. Having had two surgeries last year, the knee fractures etc. Speaking UP when YOU don't think things are right is really important. IF they are right, super! If you've anything 'niggling' don't be shy about voicing that. Be it a concern or otherwise.

Granted there will be pain, it's a given. Each of us registers pain to different levels and degrees. Some stuff one simply has to endure and it will/may fade, other stuff tho..I think, you, of all folks know how to articulate the difference.

For me, when I'd fractured my knee [later determined to be in 2 places, not one] After the 3 week time....I just knew something wasn't right. It wasn't. Well, HOW can someone w/severe neuropathy[ies] know that? Well, UM, ER, DUH...you just know

You WILL do better at home...think on it! That durned hospital's full of SICK people! IN the meantime, Heaps of super soft fuzzies to soften and 'insulate' your way to having a few parts of a really good life back!

Anticipating updates, please?!?! - j

nide44 03-05-2007 02:12 PM

Glad yer back with us, Mate !
And still got the leg attached to where it should be
(or at least a good approximation).
Keep up the good work, but don't try to be Superman.
(Kryptonite is a Killer!)
Get well soon !

Brian 03-05-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlindeb25 (Post 76656)
Congrats Brian--I wish you continued "speedy" recovery. Sometimes we have to bite the bullett and work through the pain or we will just sit and vegetate--I think you are doing wonderfully. Keep up the good work.

Deb

Thanks Deb, yep your right, i think its the same with most things, nothing good comes easy, gotta keep pushing yourself but still with caution. don't want to muck up things.
thanks

Brian 03-05-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 76659)
--and that you are up and "exercising" so quickly.

I certainly understand the blood clot concern.

What meds have they put you on, post op, if any, to address that and/or any pain conerns?

Glentaj, everyday in hospital they were given me a injection in the stomach of a anti blood clot med which is apparently standard procedure, but after 4 days they told me that they had reduced the mg by half, reason being, that i was being active and not just laying around.
I only have to take an anti inflammatory "Diclohexal " x 3 per day after food & Paracetamol 1000 mg x 4 times daily for pain of which i haven't found a need to take for pain for the last 4 days, but got them here just in case.
all the best

Silverlady 03-05-2007 08:06 PM

Wonderful news

Brian,
This is all wonderful news!! I am so happy to hear that you are doing so very well. Keep up the good work!:winky:

Billye