NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Not just disabled (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/150645-disabled.html)

Blessings2You 05-21-2011 05:57 PM

Not just disabled

My husband got a questionnaire from the District Court re jury duty, and one of the printed notes on the form said that "qualified individuals with disabilities have the same...obligation to serve as individuals without disabilities."

That makes perfect sense. I know a couple of people in wheelchairs, for example (due to injuries) who would make excellent jurors. They are not in pain, their minds are sharp, etc.

But it reminded me of a comment my daughter recently made that my granddaughter (college age) knows of course that I'm disabled but probably doesn't realize that I'm "sick".

In other words, she's aware that I have trouble getting around, that my balance is bad, that I use a cane and walker. But she's much less aware that I have other issues such as fatigue, muscle spasms, cognitive problems, bathroom issues, general malaise, and all of the other symptoms with which we struggle.

I don't know what my point is. Just thinking, that's all.

kicker 05-21-2011 06:55 PM

I got called for Jury Duty, called and explained I had MS and they excused me. I think I scared them.

Blessings2You 05-21-2011 07:22 PM

Did you just tell them you had MS, or did you go into detail about how it would affect your participating?

SallyC 05-21-2011 08:47 PM

Peeps without MS (incl Docs), will never understand what it's like to have MS..:hug:

kicker 05-21-2011 09:35 PM

I think just the words Multiple Sclerosis scared them. I told them I didn't drive and no buses ran past my house. They could see I'd just be a problem.

NeuroNixed Craig 05-22-2011 06:54 AM

I could see the court thinking, "But you look so good."

I understand if called, one must appear; but I think once they got a grasp of what people with a multitude of chronic illnesses deal with on an hourly and daily basis, jury duty is a big obligation.

Thinking as a defense attorney my concern would be the pain level, cognizant level of comprehension, not to mention the number and types of medications involved. All affecting the abilities of the potential juror. I would expect selection chances to be next to none.

Dejibo 05-22-2011 07:49 AM

DH got called for jury duty during the early days of MS/brain tumor discovery. He had a normal MD appointment and showed it to him, said he was scared to leave me alone if it was a long case. The MD wrote him a note excusing him as my care giver, and since I dont drive and have many MD appointments it would be a hardship on our family. His excuse was accepted.

I wouldnt mind being a juror, but I cant pay attention, and I confuse things. "ok, which one had the gun again?" I would stink at it.

Kitty 05-22-2011 09:05 AM

I'd spend most of my time in the restroom. By the time I got back to my seat.....I'd have to go again! :o

Mariel 05-22-2011 01:15 PM

It's fascinating to read what Craig says, about how pain would interfere with the juror thinking and acting to the benefit of the court. I remember soon after my MS dx, nearly
a quarter of a century ago (maybe things changed?) I went to one of those national hookup
discussing groups for MS support groups with an "expert". The expert stated that people with MS do not as a rule have pain; his mother, with MS, had no pain.

The group was horrified. I can't remember the percentage who said they have significant
pain which they attribute to MS, probably it was around 88%. I can't recall that this
doctor showed any change in his view when he heard our statistic. I think we were a
fairly typical group; there was no one there who was radically disabled (beyond the wheelchair level, bedridden, etc.) The very fact that they were still "getting around"
probably meant they had more pain, due to the spasticity caused by the effort to move themselves and crutches and wheelchairs and automobiles. I had LOTS of pain. I was very mobile and looked fine. But had disabling neuro symptoms and was already on disability.

I regret not being able to participate in "life", even a jury trial. It's certainly not indifference which would keep me away.

Mariel

NurseNancy 05-22-2011 01:26 PM

yeah, i look so good too. but i have lots of distracting pain. there's no way i could sit for extended periods of time. plus i have cognition and memory issues.

great for anyone that could do it. i couldn't.