NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Anxiety and OCD (https://www.neurotalk.org/anxiety-and-ocd/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with Klonopin or Ativan for anxiety?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/anxiety-and-ocd/154282-experience-klonopin-ativan-anxiety.html)

Ponygirl 07-27-2011 02:22 AM

Anyone have experience with Klonopin or Ativan for anxiety??

:confused: I know, everyones' experience will be different, but, I wondering,
if, people could share their experiences, because, someone suggested
it and I'm seriously thinking of trying it.:confused:

Phyllis

Leesa 07-27-2011 03:19 AM

Hi Ponygirl ;)

I haven't tried Klonopin, but I HAVE tried Ativan (so did my late husband) and it affected us BOTH the same way --- we both basically went "nuts." And I had a "blackout" that lasted for 2 days after taking only ONE PILL. My late husband was on it, when he was in the hospital and he thought we were staying at a motel -- until they took him off of the Ativan!!! That stuff is POTENT!!

I had very good luck taking Xanax, but it's VERY addictive! At one point, I was so anxious that I'd have panic attacks constantly -- and couldn't go anywhere because of them! The Xanax helped immensely -- but I had to stop it because I became addicted to it. Heck, I can get addicted to LINT. :D

Hope you find something that works for you. Take care. Hugs, Lee

Ponygirl 07-27-2011 03:49 AM

Lee,

:confused:are you saying, xanax is very addictive and *helped* you?!?:eek:
:confused:I guess, I'm not understanding, how it helped you, if, it made you so
anxious, you weren't able to do anything?? I mean, I'm having enough,
issues, without, taking something that will give me panic attacks,
when, I have anxiety, already???:confused:

Phyllis

Chemar 07-28-2011 07:27 AM

Hello Phyllis

I think you misread Leesa's post

She said Xanax was addictive but that it *helped* her anxiety and panic attacks, not that it made them worse.

Quote:

I had very good luck taking Xanax, but it's VERY addictive! At one point, I was so anxious that I'd have panic attacks constantly -- and couldn't go anywhere because of them! The Xanax helped immensely -- but I had to stop it because I became addicted to it.

Ponygirl 07-31-2011 03:00 AM

Chemar, thanks for the clarification!!

:pBut, I *really* *don't* want to take *anything*, addictive, since, I
have an addiction to food, already!:eek::o Yes, I need to get rid of these
thoughts, *but*, I *don't* want it replaced by addiction!!:eek::p

Phyllis

karilann 09-13-2011 05:16 PM

Low dose Ativan worked wonders for me, but docs are hesitant to perscribe because it is addictive. Klonopin made me really sleepy. I cut it in half and it still made me sleepy.
Other people I know love Klonopin....but not me.
I have gotten some relief from the antidepressant Celexa. Paxil did not work for me for anxiety but the Celexa I like. I also lost some weight with Celexa.

Leesa 09-15-2011 08:30 AM

I meant that I was having panic attacks BEFORE I started taking the Xanax. After I was on it for awhile, it worked so well that I took more than I should and became addicted. I guess I was searching for that initial "high" --- I weaned off it when I realized what I was doing. :eek:

The Xanax DID work for anxiety -- and very well I might add. Sorry for the confusion. Hugs, Lee

Bright&Dark86 10-18-2011 05:29 PM

I've taken Ativan as well as Xanax but I have not taken Klonopin. I've had good luck with both Ativan and Xanax. The Xanax definitely seemed stronger to me so I starting using Ativan instead. I take it occasionally for panic attacks, anxiety and trouble sleeping. The only issue I've had is that I seem to be developing a tolerance to it. Its been taking much longer for it to work and it doesn't keep me asleep for the entire night anymore. I take it so infrequently though so it doesn't bother me too much. If i needed to take it more often, I'd probably speak with my doctor about possibly upping my dosage. Ativan and Klonopin are addictive, so I would talk to your doctor about your feelings on that matter if you are seriously considering taking something like this.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Ponygirl 10-19-2011 01:07 AM

Thank you, all, for all of your very informative, thoughtful replies!!

:o Karilann, my constant thought is that I *don't* want to die, but, one day, it
*will* happen and I can't stop/ control it. I don't want to not, be here, anymore.
So, to answer your question, no, I'm not worrying, needlessly. It's something,
which, one day, *will*, happen.

Phyllis:rolleyes::p:(:mad:

Ponygirl 10-21-2011 08:06 PM

I'm bumping this up, because, I have another question, regarding, this, same issue...

:confused: My therapist mentioned, possibly, trying bio-feed-back.
Can anyone tell me a little about it? Like, what is it? What does it do?
How is it done? Anything???

Phyllis :confused: