NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Another MRI Help (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/17694-mri-help.html)

Ty45 04-16-2007 10:02 PM

Another MRI Help

I would like to get some help with my MRI results if possible. I know what some of it means, I have already had C-spine surgery on C5-6 to repair a herniated disc. I recently had an MRI done on the Thoracic region and this is what was annotated:

FINDINGS:
Focal kyphosis centered at T4-5. Vertabral body height is maintained throughout. There is normal marrow signal. No abnormal areas of enhancement are seen. The spinal cord shows normal signal throughout. The conus terminates at T12-L1.

T3-4 level: There is a posterior central disc protrusion effacing the anterior thecal sac with mass effect on the ventral aspect of the cord

T4-5 level: Left paracentral protrusion causing mass effect on the left anterior spinal cord. There is no significant neural foramina narrowing.

Mild disc height loss is seen at multiple levels with mild endplate sclerotic changes most prominent at T6-7 thru T11-12.

Impression:
Disc protrusions at T3-4 and T4-5 with mass effect on the ventral aspect of the cord.

I guess I am looking for a laymans term interpretation. Thanks.

stiffnecked 04-18-2007 07:33 PM

It mean the disc's T3-4-5 are pressing or compressing up against the spinal cord and this is probably the area that is causing your problems.

Ty45 04-19-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffnecked (Post 89558)
It mean the disc's T3-4-5 are pressing or compressing up against the spinal cord and this is probably the area that is causing your problems.

Well, that makes sense. Does anyone know what focal kyphosis is or mild endplate sclerotic changes means?

stiffnecked 04-21-2007 06:25 PM

I really don't. Most of the times when I can't figure it out I'll just Google those 2 or 3 key words. Sometimes that works.

shiney sue 04-21-2007 07:56 PM

Hi,
If i remember right kyphosis is loooking at the side of the spine to check the curvature,can i ask how old you are..And have you talked to the Dr. yet,or are you trying to prepare yourself first:) Sue

Ty45 04-21-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiney sue (Post 90541)
Hi,
If i remember right kyphosis is loooking at the side of the spine to check the curvature,can i ask how old you are..And have you talked to the Dr. yet,or are you trying to prepare yourself first:) Sue

I am 35. I have talked to the doctor, just not satisfied with what I was told. Unfortunately I did not have the MRI results with me when I talked with the doc.

Bobbi 04-21-2007 08:13 PM

Focal: Pertaining to a focus which in medicine may refer to:
1. The point at which rays converge as, for example, in the focal point.
2. A localized area of disease. (For instance: A focal cancer is limited to one specific area.)

Kyphosis - Abnormally increased convexity in the curvature of the thoracic spine as viewed from the side.

Kyphosis – An abnormal increase in the normal kyphotic curvature of the thoracic spine.

Kyphosis – An angulation of the spine with the curve bent forward. This is the opposite of a lordosis.

Bobbi 04-21-2007 08:25 PM

sclerotic

1. hard; firm; indurated; applied especially in anatomy to the firm outer coat of the eyeball, which is often cartilaginous and sometimes bony.

Adj. 1. sclerotic - relating to or having sclerosis; hardened

I can't recall what "endplate sclerotic changes" means, though; someone had kindly told me what it means in the past - after it also turned up in reports about my spinal films.

Ty45 04-21-2007 08:36 PM

None of it sounds good. I guess I should take it that my spine is hunching and the discs are hardening?

shiney sue 04-21-2007 09:10 PM

Bobbi

Hi.
Just wanted to thank you,Bob had a broken bone in the pelvis,had to get him to 2 e.r.'s and finally a Spine Dr. to find out why the poor man couldn't sit down.
The Dr.said it could take up two more months to heal and it may take me 2 more to rest,from my break down:) Sue