NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Ptosis? or something else? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/177215-ptosis-else.html)

Anacrusis 09-30-2012 08:50 AM

Ptosis? or something else?

Iīve had this very rarely and it surprises me that it should come at the end of a progression of myasthenic muscle sets to be involved and not at the beginning.

The left eye lid will droop just a little – itīs definitely mild, but it feels like more than just the eyelid is affected – around the cheek and eyebrow seem involved as well. One side of the face feels a bit like night and the other like day. I know itīs not a stroke as itīs fluctuating and will go away with a cooler breeze/change to a cooler room.

Does ptosis affect a larger area than just the eye itself?

Thanks

Anacrusis

4-eyes 09-30-2012 09:45 AM

Sounds like you are experiencing facial weakness in addition to ptosis. They commonly go together.

Sorry. :(`

Anacrusis 09-30-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-eyes (Post 918528)
Sounds like you are experiencing facial weakness in addition to ptosis. They commonly go together.

Sorry. :(`

I canīt believe it! It started at a party a couple of days ago after standing on my feet too long! :thud:

Thanks for answering so quick :)

RavenC 09-30-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anacrusis (Post 918522)

The left eye lid will droop just a little – itīs definitely mild, but it feels like more than just the eyelid is affected – around the cheek and eyebrow seem involved as well. One side of the face feels a bit like night and the other like day.

Dear friend, well, thats exactlt what always happens to my face! Ptosis never comes alone here, I always have ptosis (1 side way more visible then other) accompanied by weak cheeks and no expression. Most of the time it's one side thats looks almost normal, the other side is weak and weird (stroke like).

Anacrusis 09-30-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenC (Post 918536)
Dear friend, well, thats exactlt what always happens to my face! Ptosis never comes alone here, I always have ptosis (1 side way more visible then other) accompanied by weak cheeks and no expression. Most of the time it's one side thats looks almost normal, the other side is weak and weird (stroke like).

Does yours feel a bit numb on the affected side and like something is pulling on the cheek (thatīs the only way I can describe it I think)

southblues 09-30-2012 11:59 AM

I don't feel anything with my ptosis. If it is severe enough it will obstruct my vision. Other than that, I can only tell that I have it by looking in the mirror. Well that and by noticing that people are staring at my eyes and then they look away when I notice....

Anacrusis 09-30-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 918550)
I don't feel anything with my ptosis. If it is severe enough it will obstruct my vision. Other than that, I can only tell that I have it by looking in the mirror. Well that and by noticing that people are staring at my eyes and then they look away when I notice....

OK thanks :) So no sensation - good to know....

cait24 09-30-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anacrusis (Post 918522)
Iīve had this very rarely and it surprises me that it should come at the end of a progression of myasthenic muscle sets to be involved and not at the beginning.

The left eye lid will droop just a little – itīs definitely mild, but it feels like more than just the eyelid is affected – around the cheek and eyebrow seem involved as well. One side of the face feels a bit like night and the other like day. I know itīs not a stroke as itīs fluctuating and will go away with a cooler breeze/change to a cooler room.

Does ptosis affect a larger area than just the eye itself?

Thanks

Anacrusis

I occasionally get a little tingling and decreased sensation on the one side of my face with ptosis but it is rare. But all the muscles on the one side of my face seem a little droopy. I only have dimples on one side of my face!
kathie

Anacrusis 09-30-2012 01:50 PM

Thanks much for sharing your ptosis symptoms Kathie!

I also got a really strange sensation at base of skull back again which might hang together – with this or it might not. Also my son has double vision and intermittent ptosis which has us all even more confused.

Will be good to get to first neuro appointment but donīt expect they will know more than you guys do :You-Rock:!

pingpongman 09-30-2012 03:08 PM

Anacrusis I know they say MG is not inherited but my mom and 2 of her sisters had it plus I think my sister has MG.
Mike