NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   C5 palsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/182652-c5-palsy.html)

LindaH 01-19-2013 04:15 PM

C5 palsy

hi
i'm new to this forum, but have posted for years on the Parkinson's Forum. I am looking for any information on C5 palsy, and would like to hear from others with this condition.
About 2 months ago i had surgery on my cervical disks (C3-6) due to a herniation, that was close to bursting. the surgery went ok, but afterwards i lost the use of my right hand and arm.
The docs said this was a rare side effect of surgery on the C5 disk, snd should correct itself in time. They "hoped" that i would get full functioning back and i should be patient.

I did some research, but didn't find much -- i did find estimates between 4 months - 12+ months for recovery, and that no treatment is suggested
I was referred for PT and OT.

Again,they said be patient. I don't think the docs understand that how debilitating this condition can be. I'm trying to use my left hand as much as possible, but i need help now for just simple activities of daily living - ssuch as dressing, cooking, bathing. i've lost all of my independence. I'm worried that i could be in the 30% that one study predicted won't fully recover.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with C5 palsy, how was it treated and what was your outcome?
thanks,
linda h

forevernana4 01-19-2013 06:03 PM

I've not dealt with this, nor do I know anyone who has. Because of that I can share no knowledge with you.

the reason I wanted, needed, to respond was to say that I wish so much you weren't going through this and I pray for a speedy recovery that's complete.

Thinking of you and I hope you continue to share and gain support.

Leesa 01-19-2013 10:28 PM

Palsy by itself, as I understand it, means "paralyzed." So this means that your disc is paralyzed? I've never heard of such a thing.

And I've NEVER heard of a disc having palsy. I'm wondering if your doctor isn't handing you a line of whatever because he doesn't know what's wrong! :confused:

I might be totally wrong, and i'll certainly ADMIT it if I am! LOL But with the years of research I've done, I've never come across this. Maybe my eyes are failing me. :eek: It sounds to me like you have some inflammation & swelling going on, and that's what is pinching some nerves. Granted it would take a couple of months for this to take care of itself, but it would help to have some medication to help ease it. I'm SURE you have swelling in there - that's unavoidable, after surgery. Make sure you use some ice periodically. Use it for 20 minutes every 2 hours, and that should help with the swelling & inflammation. It should help with the pain too. My Neurosurgeon taught me this when I had surgery.

Anyway -- best of luck and I hope things work out well. God bless. Hugs, Lee

LindaH 01-20-2013 10:29 AM

Forevernana,
thank you for your good wishes and your prayers.
linda

LindaH 01-20-2013 10:57 AM

thank you Lee for your reply.
The palsy is in the muscles and arms. It seems to be rare side effect of surgery. One description: "Occasionally, patients who undergo an operation on the cervical spine (in the region of the neck) will awaken with paralysis of one or both arms. This paralysis, known as C5 Palsy, usually involves the shoulder and sometimes the biceps."
If you Google c5 palsy there are a few articles and web sites, but so far there hasn't been a lot of research, and there seems to be little agreement on the causes, prevention or the treatment for it. The common advice is to wait 4-12 months and it should resolve itself, at least for 70% of those affected.
They did treat the inflamation as you suggested.
thanks,
linda

Leesa 01-20-2013 01:09 PM

Goes to show you how much I know. LOL What a horrible thing to have happen!!! I've never heard of this, and it's unfortunate they don't do more research on why this happens, and how to treat it. :eek: It's got to be terrifying to wake up, or sometime later having your arm paralyzed! And then to be told to wait up to a YEAR for it to resolve? That's just not acceptable to me, anyway!!~

I wish you the very best! I hope you will keep us informed as to what happens, and especially when it resolves itself! God bless and PLEASE take care. Hugs, Lee!

dexy77 01-23-2013 10:33 PM

c5

[QUOTE=LindaH;948992
Hi,
I had a c4-6 fusion with a severe cord impingement c5 and woke up from surgery with no use of my lt arm and no hand grasp. Two weeks later i was in physical therapy and after 6months had 75% back and a few months later 100%. Work hard in therapy and give it time. Take care and hope this helps!

LindaH 01-24-2013 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=dexy77;950332][QUOTE=LindaH;948992
Hi,
I had a c4-6 fusion with a severe cord impingement c5 and woke up from surgery with no use of my lt arm and no hand grasp. Two weeks later i was in physical therapy and after 6months had 75% back and a few months later 100%. Work hard in therapy and give it time. Take care and hope this helps![/QUOTE]

thank you for your reply. It's reassuring to know that someone was facing the same limitations and had a full recovery. I did have PT and OT
after i left the hospital i know its important.
guess i just have to be patient, like the doc said.
just wondering if your surgeon discussed the possibility of C5 palsy before your surgery. mine didn't
linda

dexy77 02-03-2013 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=LindaH;950595]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dexy77 (Post 950332)

thank you for your reply. It's reassuring to know that someone was facing the same limitations and had a full recovery. I did have PT and OT
after i left the hospital i know its important.
guess i just have to be patient, like the doc said.
just wondering if your surgeon discussed the possibility of C5 palsy before your surgery. mine didn't
linda

Hi,
Mine did not, but immediately after surgery he told my husband that i would have temporary palsy.
Be patient and do your exercises faithfully.

sam115r 02-12-2013 08:43 PM

c5 palsy

I know what you are going thru as it has been 3 years since my surgery. I woke up and was parallyzed also. Couldnt put my contacts in, feed myself or anything. The doctor would only say give it time and never would talk to me about it. Never even recommended PT at first. Didnt even bother to talk to me after the surgery had the anesthesiolgist come talk to me. Anyways for the most part I can use my arm now though I still have trouble with arm heaviness and pain still. The doctor wants to do more sugery but at this point I am scared to to that. I was paralyzed for 2 months.
I hope your doctor talks with you and that you do better than I have done. Its not easy to find much information on this. Was in PT a couple months ago but that was a joke as all they did was basically a massage.