NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Earache (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/185864-earache.html)

mouse1 03-24-2013 03:17 AM

Earache

Has anyone else experienced earache with PCS? I have had it bad since I started exercising last week, and it hasn't gone away. I did have severe noise sensitivity and tinnitus but these are reducing, in fact I hardly use earplugs now, however this has been replaced by painful earache particularly on the ride side where I banged my head. It doesn't go away, even with painkillers!

pepa 03-24-2013 05:43 AM

earache

Earache can be due to a displacement of the upper cervical vertebraes, mainly the 1st one, the atlas.

An experienced chiropractor could evaluate and treat this, and possibly help with this and other pcs symtoms as well.

mouse1 03-24-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepa (Post 968772)
Earache can be due to a displacement of the upper cervical vertebraes, mainly the 1st one, the atlas.

An experienced chiropractor could evaluate and treat this, and possibly help with this and other pcs symtoms as well.

Thanks, it is new though and I am nearly five months since injury. If it was an atlas injury wouldn't I have noticed this by now? I have had neck pain but dont notice it now since I have taken medication for pain. I am wondering if sound sensitivity or tinnitus decreases does it it turn into earache?

Brain patch 03-24-2013 08:13 AM

Ear ache

Mouse,
I have had earache also. I have still been wearing earplugs. I have had a decrease in the Tinnutitis but just like you said now have earache. My pain medication does not help it either. Mine is on both sides and gets itchy at times but for the most part is really painful.
Brain

mouse1 03-24-2013 09:04 AM

I think it relates to the existing hearing problems I had- hypersensitive hearing, noise sensitivity, tinnitus and hyperacusis. I suppose it's little wonder I have earache now. Also my pain med also causes tinnitus and ear pain, so this could be a factor also.

Consider 03-24-2013 11:35 AM

I had this too, and one of the way I found to make myself comfortable was getting my ears cleaned out by an ENT. Both of my ears hurt so bad before the procedure and the pain greatly reduced afterwards.

MsRriO 03-24-2013 03:38 PM

Always earache here too. It never goes away but does get worse with fatigue.

It feels deep within my ears, and is accompanied by a feeling of fullness/swelling.

No doctor has listened to me, as usual. So it's just another symptom without a remedy. Oh, except time. (I hope)

MiaVita2012 03-24-2013 03:43 PM

My earaches were full of pain and itchy also I think both sides.I have not had this in a few months.I believe this is common.I went to ENT and had clean ears just tinnitus.:wink:

berkeleybrain 03-25-2013 02:11 PM

I am now 7 months with pcs and ptsd, and for 2 months the deep ear pain has been weekly.

The pain wasn't felt for the first 5 months, so I'm wondering why now.

It comes and goes. I tried to track it with the weather (storms, rain) but it doesn't seem to have a correlation.

By time I get to a doctor, the pain has gone. No redness or inflammation in the ear canal, so my doctor couldn't do much. A heating pad has helped. And usual pain meds don't help.

ENT or chiropractor are the recommended course?

mouse1 03-25-2013 02:48 PM

Berkleybrain,

Like yourself I got the doctor to check my ears but he couldn't see anything. At least it is now coming and going this week, it was fairly constant last week, the tinnitus is less frequent as well. I think the earache is related to my previous more severe hearing sensitivity. I didn't really get ear pain on a regular basis until now, but previously had very painful ears from loud noise, and I still find loud noise difficult. The doctor increased my Cymbalta to 60mg so now I don't know if I have a headache or not because my head is numb, but it doesn't do anything at all for the painful earache.