NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Headaches and how to deal with them. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/196374-headaches-deal.html)

15jschro23 10-28-2013 11:16 PM

Headaches and how to deal with them.

Hello, It's been over a year since I received a blow to the head. I have been diagnosed with post concussion syndrome. I still have severe headaches and I was wondering if other people have them and how they deal with them? I still go to school but that doesn't help at all.

Mark in Idaho 10-29-2013 12:49 AM

15jschro23,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Head aches from concussions are often related to neck injuries. The neck may not be symptomatic other than causing the head aches.

hopefulmom 10-29-2013 08:20 AM

Hello,
It's not for everyone, but acupuncture helped/helps my daughter's headache a lot.

Hopeful

15jschro23 10-29-2013 02:08 PM

Hello, thank you for replying. I have tried neck massages at PT and nothing helped.

Eowyn 10-29-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15jschro23 (Post 1025324)
Hello, It's been over a year since I received a blow to the head. I have been diagnosed with post concussion syndrome. I still have severe headaches and I was wondering if other people have them and how they deal with them? I still go to school but that doesn't help at all.

Are you on any headache preventive medications? I started out with amitriptyline and later switched to Topamax, which I still take. These help prevent a headache from getting started. You take them daily.

15jschro23 10-29-2013 04:30 PM

I have taken amitriptyline and then topamax. I'm on Cymbalta right now but it hasn't helped. It just makes me really tired in the middle of school

Eowyn 10-29-2013 11:02 PM

The thing that really helped get rid of my headaches was going through the depression recovery program linked in my signature. Through the 10-day intensive, I got nutritional counseling and switched to a vegan diet high in omega-3s and tryptophan, did daily hydrotherapy, got daily exercise in fresh air, drank plenty of water, eliminated all TV (I didn't use caffeine, alcohol, or tobacco which are the other things they recommend cutting out), went to bed by 9-10 PM each night for 8 full hours of sleep, and worked on developing daily spiritual practice. There were also psychological-type things such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, but I found the medical pieces to be most beneficial.

After the 10 days, my headaches were gone and stayed away in proportion to how well I maintained my regimen. Now that it's been a while, I can slack off a bit more without getting headaches.

It's what worked for me.... your mileage may vary.

ED 10-30-2013 07:39 AM

ask ur doctor to try u on gabapentin, its day three for me on this med and ive noticed a difference so far, this med needs time to. build up in system.

Keep well.

ED

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15jschro23 (Post 1025324)

15jschro23 11-01-2013 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I do get 9 hours of sleep, changed my diet and everything. No pop or caffeine. But my headaches are still horrible.

15jschro23 11-01-2013 09:52 AM

I have already been on gabapentin. It didn't work for me sadly.