NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   coffee (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/199107-coffee.html)

Brokenfriend 12-29-2013 12:51 AM

coffee

I was just wondering if anyone out there has had a negative experience with coffee. One time a friend of mine was drinking coffee,and I was trying to keep up. I freaked out after many cups of coffee. Now I am very careful to not drink to much of it.

I bought some coffee recently,and only had one plastic cup full. I still remember that coffee overdose experience. Has anyone else had a panic attack after several cups of coffee? BF:hug::hug::hug:

waves 12-29-2013 01:26 AM

Steve,

I personally haven't, and I've had a *LOT* of coffee at various times. However, it affects different people in different ways. One's response partly depends on one's overall emotional disposition as well.

Coffee "works" by delivering caffeine to your system rapidly. Caffeine is a stimulant which causes the release of adrenaline. Consider the fact that adrenaline is what is released during the fight-or-flight response.

If one is prone to panic or anxiety, it doesn't surprise me that coffee can produce a panic attack. You do well to be cautious in your coffee consumption.

p.s. Caffeine in tea is absorbed much more slowly, due to the phenol content of tea. Caffeine in green tea is absorbed more slowly still, than that in black tea, because green tea has even more phenols.

Mari 12-29-2013 06:55 AM

Hi, Steve,
I have only had two cups of coffee in my life.
After the first cup I was mostly o.k.
Years later, after a cup of coffee, I did not feel o.k. and felt somewhat as you describe.
I do drink green tea in the mornings when I have to work.

Waves,
Thanks for the explanation about tea.

Mari

TBI/PTSD 12-29-2013 07:52 AM

Good question, great answer

Thanks BF and Waves,

I drink coffee. My docs say I should have green tea but I have t made the switch yet. I think I will try because living w my parents there is always a run for the coffee pot. I don't like that.

DiMarie 12-29-2013 06:21 PM

As a security guard and cop on mostly midnights I have had about every kind of coffe. The Caffine is a stimulate. I once read that nicotine and Caffine are the two most abused drugs....never had thought about the coffee having a drug.

That would makes sense that Caffine it self, or if taking any medications it could interact. I can manage two cups/mugs a day, but that is rarely everyday. I like my hot Earl Grey Tea, cold green tea.

I don't really have soda anymore but, there is a lot of Caffine in that too. Working as a beauty salon manager I had a gal that could not start her day without popping open her Cola.
Take care Steve,
:grouphug: Di

Brokenfriend 12-30-2013 02:43 AM

Thank you Di. Happy New Year. BF:hug::hug::hug:

DiMarie 01-02-2014 05:55 PM

Hi Steve, just thinking of you this afternoon. I was listening to Dr. oz and he was doing a demonstration to the affect coffee contents has on the body.
I heard him describing as a woman poured water in a balloon the expanding of vessels. There became a point he called a storm and the balloon burst. These contents would sure the body...I think chicory had something to do with it too.

Be well,
Hugs :grouphug:
Di

bizi 01-02-2014 10:49 PM

caffiene can raise your blood presssure.
bizi

Lara 01-06-2014 03:16 PM

Dear BF,
I have an anxiety disorder and although I do have a small amount of caffeine in the early morning, I find that if I consume coffee during the day, then it can tip me over my stress/anxiety threshold and into the panic zone. I would imagine this would be quite common in people like myself who are already living on "high alert" so-to-speak.

:hug:

Mari 01-06-2014 09:11 PM

Lara,
:hug:

I wonder if some of us are missing out on the pleasure of coffee?

It is not dissimilar to those of us who cannot take cold medicine.

We have to pay attention to our individual anxiety/ agitation levels and stay away from common products that others take for granted.

M