NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Need advice from those who know...... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/224059-advice.html)

Diandra 08-04-2015 11:24 AM

Need advice from those who know......

Dear friends,
I know nothing about concussions/head trauma and need advice.
What I did is beyond stupid and almost too embarrassing to tell.

About 2-3 weeks ago I inadvertently gave myself a blow to the head, hard enough to knock myself out.

I was rushing in the morning, a bottle of OJ had spilled all over inside my fridge. I have the kind of fridge that the freezer is on the top, fridge on the bottom.
I was squatting down all the way with my butt almost on the floor, I stood up quickly and hit my head on the freezer, heard a crack, and fell backwards, unconscious. Dont know if the crack sound was my head or the fridge. I did break some shelves on the way down. I don't think I was out long, maybe a minute or so. Obviously my head hurt so I tied two ice packs to the top of my head with a scarf and laid down for about 15 minutes and took a pain pill. I was very dizzy and not thinking all that clearly. I had to leave because I was undergoing radiation treatments for breast cancer and I couldn't miss an appt. It never dawned on me to ask a neighbor for a ride to radiation or tell a medical professional, until the other day.

I was at my PC doc for another matter and I told him my neck pain and headaches were worse(these are persistent problems) and he was trying to connect it to cancer treatments. Only then did I remember the "fridge" incident.

When my current cancer treatment is complete in a week or so, he is sending me for an MRI to see if I cracked my skull or damaged any vertebrae. I already have a small herniation at c5/6 for many yrs now. Also DDD.

Do you think it is possible I gave myself a concussion or was the blow too mild to do that?

Any other tests besides an MRI to determine damage?

Thanks, Diandra

Lightrail11 08-04-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diandra (Post 1159960)

What I did is beyond stupid and almost too embarrassing to tell.

Do you think it is possible I gave myself a concussion or was the blow too mild to do that?

Any other tests besides an MRI to determine damage?

Thanks, Diandra

Hi Diandra and welcome to NeuroTalk.

Certainly sounds as this could have given you a concussion, particularly since you did lose consciousness for a bit.

2-3 weeks isn't that long in the mTBI/PCS recovery process. The MRI may not show anything but that doesn't mean you didn't receive a concussion. Watch for symptoms such as headache, nausea, sensitivity to light or sound, sleep problems or anxiety or other mood changes.

If these present a referral to a neurologist or a physiatrist that specializes in TBI may be in order.

BTW, stuff happens, don't blame yourself. This from a guy who walked in front of a moving light rail commuter train.

Very best to you.

:hug:

Diandra 08-05-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightrail11 (Post 1159966)
Hi Diandra and welcome to NeuroTalk.

Certainly sounds as this could have given you a concussion, particularly since you did lose consciousness for a bit.

2-3 weeks isn't that long in the mTBI/PCS recovery process. The MRI may not show anything but that doesn't mean you didn't receive a concussion. Watch for symptoms such as headache, nausea, sensitivity to light or sound, sleep problems or anxiety or other mood changes.

If these present a referral to a neurologist or a physiatrist that specializes in TBI may be in order.

BTW, stuff happens, don't blame yourself. This from a guy who walked in front of a moving light rail commuter train.

Very best to you.

:hug:

Thanks so much for the advice.

You made a rather miraculous recovery. It is amazing you regained your physical health and cognitive skills and are back to work.

That must have taken incredible drive and determination.
I am happy for you.

Thanks again, D.

bluesfan 08-05-2015 02:00 PM

Hi Diandra

Don't be embarrassed - we all have accidents like this at some point. Hope the MRI comes back clean and your symptoms improve. At least your doc has taken the matter seriously and referred you.

All the best for your cancer treatment and recovery.

Let us know how you get on.

DejaVu 08-05-2015 02:56 PM

Easy Does It...

Hi Diandra,

Ouch! :eek:

I agree, you may have a concussion.
Concussion are often graded, levels 1-3.
If someone was unconscious at the time of injury and has ongoing symptoms, they usually qualify for level 3.

I am still recovering from a concussion and whiplash from a random assault in a park, just over two years ago now. I have had to stay on an anti-epileptic medication to help with headaches and with mood changes. I now have a tendency toward moodswings and irritability which are best helped with this medication, thus far. I feel "tortured" by my brain's sensitivities now, when not staying on this med. (I had lost short-term memory for several months and had also lost impulse control. :eek: These were drastic changes in my personality and scary.) I am glad I can take the med and glad it helps.
This is not my first concussion, which may be a factor (for me).

MRIs and other scans can look fine with concussions; yet, it's good to check.
Glad your doctor is aware and looking into this.

I hope your symptoms resolve quickly!

Oh, wanted to share: http://www.biausa.org/mild-brain-injury.htm

Take care, Diandra. :hug:
Warmly,
DejaVu

Diandra 08-05-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1160353)
Hi Diandra,

Ouch! :eek:

I agree, you may have a concussion.
Concussion are often graded, levels 1-3.
If someone was unconscious at the time of injury and has ongoing symptoms, they usually qualify for level 3.

I am still recovering from a concussion and whiplash from a random assault in a park, just over two years ago now. I have had to stay on an anti-epileptic medication to help with headaches and with mood changes. I now have a tendency toward moodswings and irritability which are best helped with this medication, thus far. I feel "tortured" by my brain's sensitivities now, when not staying on this med. (I had lost short-term memory for several months and had also lost impulse control. :eek: These were drastic changes in my personality and scary.) I am glad I can take the med and glad it helps.
This is not my first concussion, which may be a factor (for me).

MRIs and other scans can look fine with concussions; yet, it's good to check.
Glad your doctor is aware and looking into this.

I hope your symptoms resolve quickly!

Oh, wanted to share: http://www.biausa.org/mild-brain-injury.htm

Take care, Diandra. :hug:
Warmly,
DejaVu

Dear DV,

Thanks so much.....that website is very helpful.

My confusing issue is that I already had so many of the concussion symptoms because yrs ago I had an infection in my brain from Lyme Disease. The effects seem to be permanent. it has caused me to be cognitively slower, short term memory issues, have huge problem with something called "executive function"....being able to stay focused and on task. I have a severe startle response. I get disoriented and confused easily.
I have light, sound and movement/vibration hypersensitivity. Have almost daily headaches and occasional migraines. Get dizzy.
I feel best/most calm in the wee hours like 1 am when the house and street are all silent, no light, movement or sounds and I can just sit in the still darkness. I guess the good news is I am already used to all the concussion symptoms!

Having been assaulted is just horrid. I am so sorry that happened to you.
What a terrible way to have been injured.
I hope the medical folks who are helping you give you hope that your your symptoms will all resolve in time.

In my younger days, I was also assaulted and it was the PTSD that took longer then the physical issues to resolve...they did not recognize that back then and it was yrs before it went away, but it did.

I am glad you have a med that is helping you.

I am sending healing energy to you and prayers that all your symptoms will resolve. You have a great attitude and that is a big part of the battle.

Thanks again DV,
Diandra

DejaVu 08-05-2015 05:27 PM

Hi Diandra,

You make an excellent point: It can be difficult, if not impossible to tell if some of the ongoing symptoms are from concussion or are PTSD.

I find a neurologist attributes most symptoms to brain injury. A psychiatrist attributes most symptoms to PTSD. Lol!
My PCP is quite bright; yet, he seemed to think all brain injury symptoms would be gone in 72 hours. Huh? I had to offer him some educational literature.

I'm not ultra-educated on this topic, myself. I'd found, after this last concussion, I couldn't study up on anything. Little reading comprehension, mega brain fatigue and would fall asleep trying to read/study anything... or suffer a severe headache. I hit walls and cannot think any further. My mind shuts down.

The ER doctor had told me to stay away from computer monitors and TV screens, which I also did for 6 months.

For me, the PTSD from this assault had triggered old PTSD. I would jump out of my skin with any sudden stimulus, etc.

I share a multi-level home and cannot fully relax unless the home is empty or everyone is sound asleep. I know what you mean by the 1 am peace and quiet.:winky:

I am not the same. The medication helps to keep me more even, more like I used to be. Thankfully.

The assault was random, unprovoked, in broad daylight.
I was seated on a park bench, visiting, and was attacked from behind. I was at this person's mercy, as the grip on me was extremely strong and I could not turn and fight back in any way. Once the attack was over, I did not know how hurt I was. I was in shock of some type and I followed my assailant for two blocks so police could make an arrest. The person was getting lost in the city crowd in a major marketplace. My assailant took down two officers before subdued. I then had attended a movie, as per our plans prior to the assault. I was "numb." I did not realize how injured I was until the next morning. Went to the ER. In retrospect, I should have stayed on the ground, not pursuing my assailant. I was just too stunned.:eek:

(As it turns out, the person had a very severe mental illness, was from a different state and had wanted/needed services not available to a non-resident. Assault is one way to get the housing, food and meds needed. The person had eventually shouted out to me and to the police, "Please make sure I am arrested, I NEED help!":()

My story aside, I am sure there are members here with better information.
I am just getting around to reading more about what I have been living for the past 2+ years. My reading comprehension is not back to normal, yet is better than it has been since the injuries.

I hope others (more educated on concussions) will comment on your thread.
I am truly not very up-to-date. I am here reading, trying to understand why I am still needing this medication, etc.

Thanks for the healing thoughts and prayers.
I am offering the same to you, Diandra. :hug:

Warmly,
DejaVu

Mark in Idaho 08-05-2015 05:58 PM

Diandra, An standard MRI very rarely shows any damage from a concussion. If you lost consciousness, it was a concussion. Looking for a skull fracture at this point is of no value. Same with neck fracture issues.

Most of the non-brain issues are soft tissue strains to the neck with slight displacement of cervical vertebra. An MRI will not show this. Very few radiologist will even look for the very fine signs of such an injury. With DDD complicating the matter, there is no way to suggest what may be new and what is old injury.

The present issue is simple. Treat or deal with the symptoms. Chemo can cause concussion like symptoms as it chemically/toxically challenges the brain (chemo brain).

With your Lyme disease complications, you likely already have learned to deal with prolonged PCS symptoms, other than headaches. Your Lyme disease symptoms are complete overlaps of PCS symptoms.

Do you have any new symptoms ?

SamG11 08-05-2015 09:58 PM

Hi there Diandra!

Welcome to nuerotalk.

I just wanted to say that you are in the right place for having questions and wanting to learn more about concussions and post concussion syndrome. Here on the forums everyone is extremely nice and caring and will answer most of your questions and concerns with a concussion or PCS.

I hit my head back in October 2014, still haven't been the same since. It's been a long road but I'm almost there.

The forums as helped greatly with all the questions I had.

Good luck and hope you feel better!
Sam

Diandra 08-06-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1160407)
Hi Diandra,

You make an excellent point: It can be difficult, if not impossible to tell if some of the ongoing symptoms are from concussion or are PTSD.

I find a neurologist attributes most symptoms to brain injury. A psychiatrist attributes most symptoms to PTSD. Lol!
My PCP is quite bright; yet, he seemed to think all brain injury symptoms would be gone in 72 hours. Huh? I had to offer him some educational literature.

I'm not ultra-educated on this topic, myself. I'd found, after this last concussion, I couldn't study up on anything. Little reading comprehension, mega brain fatigue and would fall asleep trying to read/study anything... or suffer a severe headache. I hit walls and cannot think any further. My mind shuts down.

The ER doctor had told me to stay away from computer monitors and TV screens, which I also did for 6 months.

For me, the PTSD from this assault had triggered old PTSD. I would jump out of my skin with any sudden stimulus, etc.

I share a multi-level home and cannot fully relax unless the home is empty or everyone is sound asleep. I know what you mean by the 1 am peace and quiet.:winky:

I am not the same. The medication helps to keep me more even, more like I used to be. Thankfully.

The assault was random, unprovoked, in broad daylight.
I was seated on a park bench, visiting, and was attacked from behind. I was at this person's mercy, as the grip on me was extremely strong and I could not turn and fight back in any way. Once the attack was over, I did not know how hurt I was. I was in shock of some type and I followed my assailant for two blocks so police could make an arrest. The person was getting lost in the city crowd in a major marketplace. My assailant took down two officers before subdued. I then had attended a movie, as per our plans prior to the assault. I was "numb." I did not realize how injured I was until the next morning. Went to the ER. In retrospect, I should have stayed on the ground, not pursuing my assailant. I was just too stunned.:eek:

(As it turns out, the person had a very severe mental illness, was from a different state and had wanted/needed services not available to a non-resident. Assault is one way to get the housing, food and meds needed. The person had eventually shouted out to me and to the police, "Please make sure I am arrested, I NEED help!":()

My story aside, I am sure there are members here with better information.
I am just getting around to reading more about what I have been living for the past 2+ years. My reading comprehension is not back to normal, yet is better than it has been since the injuries.

I hope others (more educated on concussions) will comment on your thread.
I am truly not very up-to-date. I am here reading, trying to understand why I am still needing this medication, etc.

Thanks for the healing thoughts and prayers.
I am offering the same to you, Diandra. :hug:

Warmly,
DejaVu

Thanks DejaVu....I sent you a PM so as not to take this thread too far off track.
I have a habit of doing that;)