NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Anyone else? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/227385-else.html)

Blazed-kitty 10-15-2015 04:59 AM

Anyone else?

I was curious if anyone else experienced this.

So I'll be in like horrible horrible pain once I lay down and get ready for bed and get extreme painsomnia. And then like aound the times (depending how bad the pain gets) 5-9am I will finally fall asleep and sleep for about 2-4 hours and wake up in terrible pain again. I'm basically living off naps at this point. Is this just me or does anyone else have this happen?

stillsmiling 10-15-2015 05:45 AM

This happens to me a lot of nights. Including last night. I always get a startled feeling from all the pain, and I wake up confused about every 2 hours. One thing that I have connected it to is my emotions. If I've spent a great deal of the day sad, mad, or overwhelmed, I have a terrible time trying to sleep. Then I add a night of fretting over no sleep, and by morning I am a mess. I've found something that works most of the time to break that cycle. Take today for instance. I have already decided that I am not going to let myself think negatively today. I am going to give myself permission to be okay with napping as much as I need to. It seems counter intuitive because I don't want to sleep all day and stay awake all night. I try not to be too hard on myself especially after a long night of no real sleep. If I force myself to think positive or even just neutral thoughts, and allow myself to rest as much as my body tells me I need, I am usually able to get a break between the bad nights. I hope you have a good day. :)

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Blazed-kitty 10-15-2015 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillsmiling (Post 1177639)
This happens to me a lot of nights. Including last night. I always get a startled feeling from all the pain, and I wake up confused about every 2 hours. One thing that I have connected it to is my emotions. If I've spent a great deal of the day sad, mad, or overwhelmed, I have a terrible time trying to sleep. Then I add a night of fretting over no sleep, and by morning I am a mess. I've found something that works most of the time to break that cycle. Take today for instances. I have already decided that I am not going to let myself think negatively today. I am going to give myself permission to be okay with napping as much as I need to. It seems counter intuitive because I don't want to sleep all night and stay awake all night. I try not to be too hard on myself especially after a long night of no real sleep. If I force myself to think positive or even just neutral thoughts, and allow myself to rest as much as my body tells me I need, I am usually able to get a break between the bad nights. I hope you have a good day. :)

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much :)
I'm going to try that today since it is now 7am and still have only slept for about an hour :)

mama mac 10-15-2015 08:11 AM

Sleep is a constant issue. I do find it is worse when I have over extended myself during the day. That includes physically and yes, stillsmiling, emotionally too. I hope you both have a good nap today. I may try that myself.~mac

Enna70 10-15-2015 08:24 AM

yup yup part of living with the monster......

Russell 10-15-2015 09:49 AM

According to my neurologist it is an emotional thing.
This monster we all deal with can make our emotions get all screwed up in many ways.
I'm always having bouts of emotional outbursts that seem uncontrollable. I'm finding myself apologizing to folks I get loud and angry with asking for some understanding. Understand that sometimes I can't control myself. I often keep to myself so not to offend anyone.
I just wanted to let you know you're not alone...:grouphug:

PurpleFoot721 10-15-2015 10:50 AM

I certainly do as well. I completely agree with stillsmiling, it all depends on emotions. Yesterday I had a very stressful and busy day, so I had a bad night dealing with pain and no sleep. I try to calm myself down as much as I can before going to bed. Sometimes I am successful, quite often I am not.
:hug:

Blazed-kitty 10-15-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell (Post 1177680)
According to my neurologist it is an emotional thing.
This monster we all deal with can make our emotions get all screwed up in many ways.
I'm always having bouts of emotional outbursts that seem uncontrollable. I'm finding myself apologizing to folks I get loud and angry with asking for some understanding. Understand that sometimes I can't control myself. I often keep to myself so not to offend anyone.
I just wanted to let you know you're not alone...:grouphug:

That's how I've been since this flared up again. And its so hard. Its putting a stress on a lot of my family and my boyfriend

DejaVu 10-19-2015 12:43 AM

Limbic System

Hi Jenn, Do you have someone to talk to concerning how this is affecting your life? A supportive therapist, perhaps?

CRPS affects the limbic system of the brain.

If I start to have too many difficulties with insomnia, pain and mood regulation, I ask for help with mood stabilization. For me, this usually means low-dose Depakote. Some people are already taking a mood-stabilizing med when taking gabapentin, lyrica and other AEDs (anti-epileptic drugs).

It's really important, Jenn, you have a neutral/supportive place where you can let go with feelings about how this is affecting your life. Meds can help with mood-stabilization; yet, it's important you aren't just stuffing or numbing your feelings with meds. Find a way to release them in a manner which hurts nobody.

Blazed-kitty 10-19-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1178380)
Hi Jenn, Do you have someone to talk to concerning how this is affecting your life? A supportive therapist, perhaps?

CRPS affects the limbic system of the brain.

If I start to have too many difficulties with insomnia, pain and mood regulation, I ask for help with mood stabilization. For me, this usually means low-dose Depakote. Some people are already taking a mood-stabilizing med when taking gabapentin, lyrica and other AEDs (anti-epileptic drugs).

It's really important, Jenn, you have a neutral/supportive place where you can let go with feelings about how this is affecting your life. Meds can help with mood-stabilization; yet, it's important you aren't just stuffing or numbing your feelings with meds. Find a way to release them in a manner which hurts nobody.

Honestl . I don't have a support system. And its really affecting me