NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   info re: Kmeb (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/23975-info-re-kmeb.html)

Silverlady 07-17-2007 07:02 PM

info re: Kmeb

Kmeb is offline for a little while. Her laptop computer has crashed again. I'm not sure how serious this crash is, but I am hoping that Dahlek who has telephone communications with her can help me keep up with this.

Billye

dahlek 07-17-2007 08:24 PM

Spoke to her recently...

She's kind of 'incommunacado' without the 'puter, tho. I can't believe that this is what, her 4th or 6th computer in the last six months? It's not like she overworks it, nor drops it! Talk about LUCK? Lets all send her delayed good wishes...
She's truly one who has been able to LIVE via computer, and live independently....pays bills, talks to us, orders food, makes docs' appts etc all on-line.
There are times when we don't appreciate all the computer can DO for US! She is one who truly KNOWS?
She's going in for one serious gastro exam on Monday, one under anathesia [she's told me she doesn't react to such things well] that is critical in terms of gastroparesis and autonomic neuropathy diagnoses and functions... Let's please all send good THOUGHTS! In heaps and heaps in our minds that day!! Cross your fingers at least once during that day?
Thanks again! - j

MelodyL 07-17-2007 08:35 PM

Sending good thoughts to her.

Hope she gets her "puter" fixed!!!!

Mel

dahlek 07-17-2007 08:42 PM

It will take, IF

very LUCKY a week to 10 days...imagine NOT being able to get out of the house or get food or ANYTHING but go to the hospital for tests and watch TV for 10 days?
Thanks Mel. - j

rose 07-17-2007 09:37 PM

Ack! Hope she's back on sooner than she thinks possible.

rose

Roxie2007 07-17-2007 11:40 PM

Kmeb,
I am sending you wishes for getting that puter up and running again and for a successful and painfree test on Monday.....I'm burning the incense, rattling the beads and sending good vibes your way!

Brian 07-18-2007 12:48 AM

Yes for sure, sending my best wishes for Monday and i hope the crash is only something minor that can be fixed up easily and quickly for her.

Aussie99 07-18-2007 04:39 AM

Best wishes Karen

Hope the testing goes ok.:)

glenntaj 07-18-2007 06:03 AM

Same here--

--although, of course, I hope Kmeb can somehow read all of our good wishes soon . . .

dahlek 07-18-2007 08:54 PM

Karen could only notify a very few...

about her computer loss, as once she got thru to a REAL SERVICE MANAGER, she'd found out that FEDEX/UPS was on their way in one HOUR to pick it up and take it away! She had so few minutes to unplug things then put in a box the messenger provided!
Her laptop case totally fractured! It'd started scratching in strange ways about 2 months ago [she'd gotten it two months before that] - It apparently turns out to be a defective 'latching system'.
Talked to her today, and she said she's felt like she's lost a family member....Quite so I believe...Makes ME wonder how much we rely on our on-line contacts?
Soo Day ONE and counting, let's keep a record of how HP does as opposed to Dell w/her prior puter? She never did get the full refund promised on that one [worked for 3 months, and 3 hard drive replacements later]...dead as doornail-service was awful....according to her.
I for one, will do some form of Morning Worship infront of my machine as I turn it on...You all know what I mean? - j

Adastra 07-19-2007 08:04 AM

Dahlek

I would be most grateful if you get the chance to speak to Karen before she has this investigation to send her my very best wishes. We had been emailing each other recently and I did not know what the problem was.

She is a truly wonderful person and deserves to know how many are thinking about her. Like everyone else I shall be waiting to see her postings and emails again.

Many thanks

Tony

mrsD 07-19-2007 09:57 AM

ugh.....

computer woes?

just a brief message here...sorry Karen is caput

The wifi here works, but the laptop does not like my car..
so I have to run on batts...the cursor goes nuts on the adaptor

and I can't get used to this keyboard...

We are trying to toughen up, but we are having frig problems..
and pretty cold weather. Today is the first day in town.
Hubby leaves me alone on Sat and my son comes next Sat,

Don't have much time this trip....hope everyone is doing okay and
that Karen gets back on soon/!

Silverlady 07-19-2007 02:46 PM

Double Ugh!

I was so hoping the computer thing with Karen was a minor thing. I know how much she depends on the laptop for everything. And I for one know how lost she is without it. I know when I was in the hospital and couldn't keep up with my group of friends, I lost my lifeline. You are all so much a part of my world.

Dahlek,
You tell Karen that I feel like I've lost part of my world not being able to email in our "conversations" every day. I miss her badly when I can't email her.

That's scary, it almost sounds as if her computer exploded on her.

Billye

Alkymst 07-19-2007 07:24 PM

Dahlek

please add my best wishes to K-meb that her GI exam and the anaesthesia Monday are uneventful and clean. Tell her too that I send the best for her computer woes - bloody suicidal little black boxes can drive one to drink on occassion.
Alkymst

dahlek 07-19-2007 08:29 PM

Well, She's now on day 3 of ...

'puter withdrawal...the HP service folks have received the machine...it seems to be a cracked casing because the screws on the latch are too tight? Broke the LCD screen....I sure hope they've got a 'spare 'puter body' or the right type right there! and can get it back soon!

She's really appreciating all of your support and good wishes-each and every one of you!...Just spoke with her about an hour ago...So Alkymst, your kind words will have to wait till tomorrow. And any others who want to send them! As with Billye, we don't really appreciate being CUT OFF from those who truly have any clues about what we deal with until such events happen.

Pain free moments, or even longer to all of you. Updates to follow... - j

dahlek 07-20-2007 08:24 PM

Day four...

She'd been given a 'tracking service number' to find out what progress, if any, has been made. The service folks can't seem to 'find it'-her computer that is... EEEK? [my comment].
Well, let all of us wait and find out what form of 'service' HP provides regarding admittedly defective equipment. For most of you know she went thru so many Dell replacements and hard drives...it was surreal.
I did give my IBM CLONE the appropriate worship and respect this morning tho, just in case! -
She seemed to be in good spirits, tho she got a 'call interrupt' and was going to call back...sure hope it was either something good or at least interesting? As that was a couple of hours ago.
Good thoughts to all! - j

Silverlady 07-20-2007 09:05 PM

It was me

I was the call interuppt. :D She sounds good but is really stressed because of the problems with the LTD again this year. I don't know why they can't leave her alone. And the computer problems are just not real, they can't possibly be doing this to her again. I know she is really lost without her computer. She was able to order her groceries before the thing went back. I just hope they get it back to her fast. It's just not fair that one person has to go thru so much.

Billye

shiney sue 07-20-2007 09:24 PM

Oh Darn

J please sent K my love and best wishes. I went in the hospital Monday
night and went nuts because no computer. I go back Thursday so
tell her they just my have to put us in the nut house by then. I hope
with all my heart they get it fixed and running real soon. Did you say
cracking nosies oh no,better get this one checked out. I going to
visulize it be fixed once and for all. Karen you are missed. Okay i'll sending
out fix the computer right now unn Please!! Sue

Brian 07-20-2007 10:41 PM

If its the same as here in the US, it takes ages to get things repaired these days, knowbody seems to keep any stock anymore, once they work out what wrong then they nearly always have to order the part needed, then you have to wait until they get the parts are delivered, which can take ages, before they attempt fix it, unreal, you would think that they would lend her one to get by on, its pretty mean not to, considering how much she relies on it.

MelodyL 07-20-2007 10:59 PM

You know, I always wanted to buy a laptop (before I got this Hewlett Packard Media Center PC.

I figured, why get a whole computer, when you can get this little thing, put it on the desk, it comes with a nice hard drive, wi-fi, if I wish. Or I can plug it into a modem and use the phone line.

Someone told me "you can't use your laptop all day long". I said "well, I'm not on it all day long, but when I want to use it in different rooms, I can just unplug it and plug it into a different phone jack, right?

For some reason, I was discouraged from buying a laptop. and there are several nice laptops out there. They have Windows XP, or Windows Vista, they can get me on the internet, they have microsoft word. They have a touch pad in addition to a mouse.

So someone tell me what the big deal is that I was told "no, you should get a computer". I really dont know why.

Isnt' a laptop, just a smaller computer? I mean they have webcams and everything.

Anybody know???

thanks.
mel

Brian 07-21-2007 03:10 AM

Whilst i spend a lot of time building home PC's, fixing and selling the ocasional one or two ,i have not got a clue about laptops , i have never even touched one, but its Winter here and pretty cold and i have been thinking about getting one myself one, so i can move into the warmer parts of my home.

dahlek 07-21-2007 09:08 PM

Nothing new to report on Kmeb...

other than she's really REALLY missing her lifeline...Does anyone in the LA area know of some used back-up she could borrow and use?

She can erase the hard drive and program with the basics, and all that....but she is really out of touch not only with us but so many others...She'll be having her tests on Monday [most, I expect will be a complete loss in terms of recovering from anathes...after for two days], but after that, she does need to get on-line regarding her medicare/medicaid plan changes and possibly changing her coverages for some of her scripts and treatments...Not to mention her dealing [or trying to deal] w/docs regarding her disability and that her LTD company is trying to DROP her...Phone and fax communications aren't cutting it...So if someone could 'lend' or give her an old one [I will 'contribute' some for offsets....Losing the LTD means losing over 2/3rds of her income...So it's important.
She will absolutely KILL me for posting this...if others who know her feel the same, please PM me and I'll delete this....Soo, no harm in asking for the old 'in-kind' stuff! Thanks - j

Silverlady 07-21-2007 10:05 PM

You are right

She is gonna kill you. ....But I know how important this is. She's so stressed. The problem is that it will have to be someone close. She's supposed to have hers back in another week. (cross your fingers) I'd be glad to do the Paypal thing and gather money for her, but it will take too long. It took almost 2 months to get everything gathered to send me mine. She doesn't have 2 months. Is there a place nearby where she can rent one. I'd be glad to contribute to it. I don't know anything about the area or how to go about doing this. Anyone ever rented one?

Billye

Aussie99 07-22-2007 04:31 PM

Hi Dahlek

I don't know what LTD is, I assume yo are speaking of disability income?

Also I read your post, but am not 100 sure what needs to be done. I don't know about renting laptops in California,but you can rent them in Sydney. So she needs a laptop for about 2-3 weeks until the issues with hers gets resolved?

MelodyL 07-22-2007 04:35 PM

Since kmeb lives in Southern California, I just googled "renting Laptops in Southern California" and a whole bunch of links came up. So you can definitely rent or lease a laptop. Here's one of the links.

http://www.directron.com/scaliforniapc1.html

dahlek 07-22-2007 05:32 PM

I just got off the phone with her....

Late yesterday, she'd actually got a PHONE CALL saying her machine is being sent by FEDEX or UPS and should arrive tomorrow AM...She is going to be in the hospital getting all those gastro exams at that time!

Soo, maybe by late tomorrow or sometime Tuesday she'll be back with us! THEN she'll kill me about the computer rental idea and other stuff...Thanks Billye and Mel about that one...I wouldn't have thought of it, really!

Soo one and all, think REALLY, REALLY GOOD THOUGHTS for her tests to go above and beyond super well? And, that these tests can find a clue to some of her pains. - j

Aussie? LTD = Long term disability, in some jobs a person buys into a plan that's supposed to contribute above and beyond what the government might give you.....This particular LTD plan is called UNUM/Provident or the like...they have been beyond nasty and underhanded in their dealings...from all of Kmeb's reports...Some of the things they are saying about correspondence and communications are,well...outlandish then unscrupulous at best...since it's a portion of what little income she has-it's important!

May my DH live long and prosper! - j

Silverlady 07-22-2007 06:48 PM

Probably both of us

Well Dahlek,
If she kills one of us, she'll just have to get us all. :D Mel you beat me to the punch with the Calif. rental sources. Thanks for posting, it may help us or someone in the future.

Dahlek...you mentioned that it's a portion of her income. I believe it is the biggest portion of her income. I know she is doing the dreaded prep for the gastro exams tomorrow. I'M NOT contacting her tonight. I know it will be the horrible pits especially for someone with the GI problems she has. Everyone cross your fingers that it goes easy for her. Dahlek, please keep us posted on her. I don't mind calling her when she feels well, but don't feel comfortable when she is ill or in distress.

But I'm so very glad she is getting her puter back so soon. Just hope it all works o.k.

Billye

Adastra 07-22-2007 07:41 PM

Dahlek

The rental idea was GREAT. Tell her if she wants to kill you then she will have to kill us all eh?!!;)

I shall say a prayer for her tonight and sure hope to see her back ASAP.

FEDEX or UPS had better do their best re the computer delivery or else!

When you speak to her next, give her my very best wishes please. :)

Tony

MelodyL 07-22-2007 08:08 PM

Yeah, me too!!! I do hope she makes it home okay and that she is back on the computer soon. It's lousy not being able communicate with others on these boards.

With a Hello http://bestsmileys.com/hello/7.gif

And a smile http://bestsmileys.com/happy/1.gif

and a wave, http://bestsmileys.com/waving/4.gif

I’m sending good thoughts her way.

shiney sue 07-22-2007 08:42 PM

Did you

say kill us,oh boy that will mean a lot of traveling. That's a awfull
test bless her heart. She' so much braver then i or me whatever.
Well this is better than some family, i have a few nutballs in mine.
So i think passing on problems in this family is fine,if she kills us there's
a old SF song that starts WE will all go together when we go. Sounds
gruesome but get's kinda funny in the middle. I know she will get home
after that icky test and find a fixed computer. Ok here's to everyone
thinking positive and it will go right out to Karen.
It's odd to hear people say it's cool or cold,when it's so darn hot
in Mo. Let's hope she has a better day tommorow..Sue

Aussie99 07-22-2007 09:47 PM

If it's an insurance company that offers the LTD...

I have no doubt that they are behaving unscrupulously. It's so sad that people buy into these policies,with trust.I also have insurance that I have not claimed on,but I have no doubt that eventually dealing with them will be nothing short of hell.

Please give Karen my warm wishes and best regards.Tell her that I will be thinking extra good thoughts.

Brian 07-23-2007 02:16 AM

Yeah same here, send her my best wishes too please.:)

BEGLET 07-23-2007 05:00 PM

Guess Who!!!!!

:) I'm back!!!!! Just got my puter - and hope this makes sense - just plugged it in and works! (I kept my hard drive so they couldnt erase it on me - and looks like I'm running!!!!!!) Thanks so much to all of you for all your good thoughts and wishes - and will write more later when coherent! - but I'm on a cocktail right now of versed, diprovan, and zofran - really kicking me in the you know what right now! My gi procedure was this morning - unfortunately was only able to get part done (they were doing amyloid biopsies and they got my stomach, but the prep for the "rest" yesterday made me violently ill so we'll have to figure out another prep I can tolerate... at least part done.... (fun fun fun - NOT!)

Anyway, hopefully all these drugs will wear off by tomorrow and can catch up:)

I missed you guys!:)

dlshaffer 07-23-2007 05:06 PM

Glad to hear

that you are back in the cyber world with us. Also glad to hear about your test this morning. It really is too bad all could not be done at once.:(

Get some rest and hope this procedure does not set you back. This is probably how you feel right now. :thud:

dahlek 07-23-2007 05:10 PM

I guess I'll get 'something'

fairly soon? OH MY! - j

Adastra 07-23-2007 08:18 PM

Great bedtime news

Hi Kmeb

I was just going to close down before bed and what did I see? :):):):):)

How lovely to see you back again. So sorry you suffered though and do hope the next lot will be more kind to you.

It's great news and so I will just say good night and God Bless. See you again soon

Tony :hug:

Silverlady 07-23-2007 09:00 PM

Hi Sweetie

I'm so glad you are back. Hope the old GI isn't kicking you around too bad. I'm so very sorry they didn't get to do all the tests.

Billye

MelodyL 07-23-2007 09:03 PM

Yeah, hi from me too!!!

Glad you're up and running.

Hope you're feeling up to par real soon!!

Take care, Melody

Brian 07-23-2007 10:32 PM

Join me in here too, glad to see you back and not having to setup the every thing again which i know can be a real pain.
great news :)

glenntaj 07-24-2007 06:39 AM

Good to have you back.

I'm a little late to this, but I've seen you've been a busy poster on some of the other threads about Medicare/IVIg, so assume you're feeling at least well enough to b***h? :p

(I always thought the most basic human right was the right to complain. And from that, good changes can come.)