NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   DBS today (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/240776-dbs.html)

sim00 10-07-2016 04:07 PM

DBS today

Dear friends, it's been a bit of time since I have posted on this forum, but there is a reason, and that reason is called DBS. Yes, dear friends, I have had to make a choice, now no longer be postponed, and I absolutely do not regret to have done, in case, I repent today, not to have made this choice a little earlier.
In fact, I was at the point of taking up to almost 1 g of levodopa per day, with very little results, but today with DBS, I take 50mg a day, and only because the neurologist has advised me not to suspend it completely.
Certainly surgery is not for everyone, unfortunately, but for those found to be candidates, I say (and remark) I am not a doctor, I say do it, because although it is not a small thing, after doing this, you reborn. guaranteed ...

zanpar321 10-07-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sim00 (Post 1225857)
Dear friends, it's been a bit of time since I have posted on this forum, but there is a reason, and that reason is called DBS. Yes, dear friends, I have had to make a choice, now no longer be postponed, and I absolutely do not regret to have done, in case, I repent today, not to have made this choice a little earlier.
In fact, I was at the point of taking up to almost 1 g of levodopa per day, with very little results, but today with DBS, I take 50mg a day, and only because the neurologist has advised me not to suspend it completely.
Certainly surgery is not for everyone, unfortunately, but for those found to be candidates, I say (and remark) I am not a doctor, I say do it, because although it is not a small thing, after doing this, you reborn. guaranteed ...

That's great! I also had dbs after waiting 6 years. I had the surgery done a month ago. Guess I'm a Cyborg now LOL! What a relief it has been! I'm about 90% better! Yesterday I forgot I had Parkinson's! Still hoping for a cure but this should help me get there.

sim00 10-07-2016 04:37 PM

Zanpar321 Thanks for your answer, it seems almost a miracle, after about 11 years of illness, get back to doing the things that I did when I was not even sick. :eek:

eds195 10-07-2016 05:00 PM

Great news.....glad to hear it went well and you have your life back....I get the feeling that the surgery teams are improving in DBS with each procedure they do....good news for all of us PD'ers that might follow you up the road...enjoy the new freedom and life.....best....

Eric

zanpar321 10-07-2016 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eds195 (Post 1225860)
Great news.....glad to hear it went well and you have your life back....I get the feeling that the surgery teams are improving in DBS with each procedure they do....good news for all of us PD'ers that might follow you up the road...enjoy the new freedom and life.....best....

Eric

Looking forward to the DBS systems now being tested that will react real time to turn the DBS on/off and adjust based on feedback from the brain. Maybe a couple of years away!

Real-time adaptive brain control: Combining a BCI with DBS to treat Parkinson’s | ExtremeTech

sim00 10-08-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanpar321 (Post 1225861)
Looking forward to the DBS systems now being tested that will react real time to turn the DBS on/off and adjust based on feedback from the brain. Maybe a couple of years away!

Real-time adaptive brain control: Combining a BCI with DBS to treat Parkinson’s | ExtremeTech

Immediately*after surgery,*I*participated in a*clinical trial*on a new*device called*"adaptive*neurostimulator",*which provided the*stimulation*only when needed,*and in my*feeling,it gave me*more comfort*than*fixed*delivery*(*MedtronicActiva*PC)* already excellent, that implanted to me.:winky:

pegleg 10-10-2016 03:26 PM

Add me to your list

Hi all
Yes, I was a doubting Thomas, also. But this November, it will be one year since I decided to have DBS. We all have the operation with different expectations - mine were to take control over my horribllle dyskinetic body. And today, I am so much improved. No longer do I twist and wryth every joint, but I can sit so quietly without of that type stuff anymore.

I just kept putting it off, thinking, "well, if I've made it this far . . .!"
Why did I takke so long?? Please start asking questions to see DBS is an option for improving your quality of life. It was worth it!

Peggy

toyL 10-10-2016 05:46 PM

Prayer for YOU today, sim00.

zanpar321 10-10-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegleg (Post 1226063)
Hi all
Yes, I was a doubting Thomas, also. But this November, it will be one year since I decided to have DBS. We all have the operation with different expectations - mine were to take control over my horribllle dyskinetic body. And today, I am so much improved. No longer do I twist and wryth every joint, but I can sit so quietly without of that type stuff anymore.

I just kept putting it off, thinking, "well, if I've made it this far . . .!"
Why did I takke so long?? Please start asking questions to see DBS is an option for improving your quality of life. It was worth it!

Peggy

So glad DBS helped you Peggy! It's been wonderful for me too!

sim00 10-12-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyL (Post 1226078)
Prayer for YOU today, sim00.

Thank you so much.