NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Noisy Cane and other Assistive Devices... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/247668-noisy-cane-assistive-devices.html)

tkrik 06-22-2017 10:36 AM

Noisy Cane and other Assistive Devices...

I went to get blood work done today. It was kind of quiet in there and when I walked from the waiting area into the lab, I noticed my cane is so loud! I guess I'm normally in busier places and can't hear it as much. It got me thinking... I don't think other people's canes are as noisy. My Walker is the same way but it's a cheaper one with rough wheels. Medicare paid for it so I know it's not the luxury one I had borrowed a few years ago.

So... I was wondering if your assistive devises are as noisy.

ewizabeth 06-22-2017 11:03 AM

My cane has a rubber tip. I wonder if the tip on yours is getting worn?

kicker 06-22-2017 02:32 PM

I like noise. Thunder if one of my favorite parts of a storm.

Sparky10 06-23-2017 11:47 AM

My fold-up cane tends to rattle, but not the solid ones. This is my favorite rollator: DMI Traditional Steel Rollator, and the big wheels are silent.

Starznight 06-27-2017 03:13 AM

My cane also goes clackied clack as I use it... but I kind of like it too, reminds me of the time so long ago when I could wear heels. Of all the things I miss the most I think it just might be my shoes :( I used to have enough different shoes that for over a month I could wear a different pair every single day and never repeat them *sigh*. Now I have three pairs :rolleyes:, a rain boot, hikers and my split sole sneakers for everyday wear.

But I can close my eyes and imagine I'm wearing a cute pair of shoes with little tapping and clacking heels while using my cane. *tap, tap, tap* ;) And go to bed at night with sweet dreams of a closet filled with heels of all sorts (except the pointed toed ones *ouch...ouch ouch*) Unfortunately when I wake up it's back to the unending search for cute flats that will hold my AFO. No success so far, but I keep the dream alive :D

kicker 06-27-2017 07:41 AM

I miss my shoes and boots. Sometimes, because of a small foot, I got left-over sale stuff no one else could fit in! It was great. Now in a wheelchair with swollen feet I go barefoot. I can self-toilet but pants up and down are too complicated, so wear none. I have light or heavy scarves (depending on season) to wear to hide my naked legs. But the shoes and boots that have passed through my life!!

TheSleeper 06-30-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 1245751)
I miss my shoes and boots. Sometimes, because of a small foot, I got left-over sale stuff no one else could fit in! It was great. Now in a wheelchair with swollen feet I go barefoot. I can self-toilet but pants up and down are too complicated, so wear none. I have light or heavy scarves (depending on season) to wear to hide my naked legs. But the shoes and boots that have passed through my life!!

Shoes? boots? socks? what are those? I feel your pain!

kicker 06-30-2017 04:00 PM

Ah Sleeper, you get it! But shoes and women have a bond that goes beyond comprehension!!! I have it and don't fully understand it.

TheSleeper 06-30-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 1246103)
Ah Sleeper, you get it! But shoes and women have a bond that goes beyond comprehension!!! I have it and don't fully understand it.

LOL, I have had the same wallet for over 20 years! Shoes and purses don't compute.

Kitty 07-01-2017 02:24 PM

I miss my pedicures. I won't go bare footed unless my toes are done but no way to have that done now. I miss wearing sandals in the summer SO much!

My rollator is quiet...it's just me lumbering behind it that makes so much noise. :o:o