NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Methylcobalamine seems to working...and... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/31790-methylcobalamine.html)

jarrett622 11-08-2007 10:01 AM

Methylcobalamine seems to working...and...

Seems to be a problem for me. Since I restarted with this form of B-12 I've seen a huge jump in my energy levels and a decrease in my PN symptoms. Somewhere in these forums I have a list of all the things I was taking. No time to hunt it down now but I'll be looking at that soon and will begin adding one vitamin or supplement back in at approx 2 week intervals. So, bottom line for me, it seems that I have issues with absorbing B-12 from foods and my digestive tract. This just really brought this issue home to me since I restarted the B-12.

If anyone recalls, I suddenly hit a spot where *something* I was taking was causing a major increase in symptoms. I had started several new supplements at the same time and couldn't pin down precisely what was causing the problems. So I stopped everything. And didn't restart (other than Vit-C and E that I've always taken) any of the others until I had the better form of the B-12. Also, I'm taking much more Vit-C than I've ever taken before. I've gone as high as 8000mg a day with no backlash, so to speak. :D So, now we'll see what we can see.

MelodyL 11-08-2007 10:11 AM

Now THAT is good news!!!

Mel

MARY 11-08-2007 10:17 AM

How much B12 are you taking?

MelodyL 11-08-2007 10:39 AM

Mary:

I know your question was to Brian, but I just wanted to share my own info on the B-12. I take 5000 mgs sub-lingually every morning, on an empty stomach.

It did the trick. I'm one of the lucky ones. It did nothing for my husband but he's not a diabetic, and in my opinion, he wasn't on it long enough to say "oh this is not working, you take it". But I can't argue with him. So I take it and it does the trick for me.

Sure, I get flare-ups but only when I get stressed. On the average, it did the trick for my burning.

Melody

MARY 11-08-2007 10:45 AM

Thanks Melody - I'm currently taking 1000 2X a day and I am thinking about bumping up to the 5000. Do you also take a magnesium supplement?

MelodyL 11-08-2007 11:07 AM

Absolutely, and you can thank Mrs. Doubtfire for that.

She said on these boards:

Melody: Magnesium, Magnesium, Magnesium.

so Melody learned, learned learned.

lol

MARY 11-08-2007 11:17 AM

I have been taking magnesium, but apparently the wrong kind - magnesium oxide (who knew!!). I'm planning a trip to Whole Foods to get the 5000 B12 and better magnesium.

jarrett622 11-08-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARY (Post 165477)
How much B12 are you taking?

I'm taking 5000mcg a day. That's the same amount I was taking of the Cyanocobalamine. Which apparently wasn't doing me much good. Certainly not enough. I also take a Super B-Complex with that. I take it on an empty stomach as the good people here instruct. :)

I'll tell you, this board has been a lifesaver for me. When I first found the board it was about 2:00 in the morning, I was up because of my pain (it was soooo bad!) and sitting here crying. Since finding this board and using the information Rose and other's have given me my pain has decreased by about 90% overall. I no longer have trouble getting to sleep because of the pain. I still have a certain level of tingling, numbness and a bit of the burning sensation but nothing like what I was having!

mrsD 11-08-2007 11:48 AM

when you take

massive amounts of Vit C you can acidify the urine. Urine is supposed to be
a little alkaline. By changing the pH of the urine, you can change the
excretion of drugs, so keep that in mind.

Your doctor should know this Vit C intake, because it can skew some blood tests, esp blood sugar.

There was a paper on our health news forum which went off line sadly.
But it showed increased stomach cancer when Vit C was taken in high amounts with food.
So it recommended using it only on an empty stomach. The Vit C reacts with nitrosamines to
create carcinogenic compounds. I wish I had copied the story...and have since not found it
again.

daniella 11-08-2007 11:59 AM

Hi. That is good news. I also heard that when repairing sometimes symptoms can feel worse. I don't know if that is true. I thought too much vitamin c was bad and can make you lack something like iron. This may be so wrong so just fyi. Keep feeling better