NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Had my 2nd opinion today... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/37227-2nd-opinion.html)

MamaMonkey 01-24-2008 09:43 PM

Had my 2nd opinion today...

And I found the best Neuro Ever. I couldn't be more pleased with him. Thanks to NMSS!

Right now, he is calling it "possible MS" and will do further testing to confirm. I had a ton of blood drawn today, will schedule my c-spine MRI tomorrow and will be doing a VER at my next appt. Depending on what the results show, he will order a LP.

Finally, a Neuro who took me seriously, did a full exam and did not try to dismiss my symptoms to stress. A little hard to say nothing is wrong when you are failing a neuro exam. If the last one had been half as thorough, he would have seen I was not doing so hot.

I feel a bit of relief knowing that we are moving in a good direction. It was nice to leave and not be in tears from feeling dismissed. :wink:

Kristi 01-24-2008 09:51 PM

:Wave-Hello:Hey,MamaMonkey that's great that you found a neuro that you like,I love my neuro she's wonderful and she listens to you and explains everything to you so you understand what's going on. That's very important.

SallyC 01-24-2008 10:26 PM

Welcome MamaMonkey.....it's nice to have another Monkey in the jungle.:D

Envious of your good luck in finding a Neuro who actually listens to you.:cool:

:hug:

jprinz99 01-25-2008 07:55 AM

Hi MM

My first neuro essentially patted me on the head and dismissed my problems. Prob MS, stroke and on and on. Heck; I even got the anxiety label mentioned as a cause. Uhh, yes it bugs me I cant walk and am pins & needles, screwed up speech and pain...

I am so very glad that you have someone who seems to be interested in figuring your issues out and is listening to you. We KNOW something isn't right with our bodies and all we need is an answer (and hopefully, a solution). Good for you for going after a 2nd opinion. Sounds like he/she may be a keeper. I hope they get it figured out and can help you feel better.

Funny how we seem to be programed as a population in whole to blindly accept what MD's say but if a car mechanic cant get our cars running smoothly we go to a different mechanic without batting an eye. Maybe I and everyone lese should start calling ourselves Ford or Buick:wink:

Oh, and nice to meet you!
jane

Erin524 01-25-2008 08:00 AM

What is it about neuros and other doctors that seem to think women with symptoms of MS are just stressed out little bundles of nerves, or that we're just hypochondriacs and nothing is really wrong with us?

That mindset they have is just so very annoying.

jprinz99 01-25-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 196407)
What is it about neuros and other doctors that seem to think women with symptoms of MS are just stressed out little bundles of nerves, or that we're just hypochondriacs and nothing is really wrong with us?

Bullseye!!! Mine even asked my husband "Isn't it funny how our wives just flip out about turning 40?" Then he asked me if I wasn't just unfulfilled being a housewife!!!!!

I was so stunned I didnt say or do anything. I should have smacked him - hard:mf_swordfight:

jane

turtle_78 01-25-2008 08:27 AM

That is great that you found a good doctor. I am going to give my new one one more try then he is getting the boot and I am going to find someone else.

susieq 01-25-2008 09:30 AM

Isn't it great to find a doctor who listens to you and actually seems to care?! Congratulations! I hope he is thorough and you get the care you need.

MamaMonkey 01-25-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jprinz99 (Post 196403)
Hi MM

My first neuro essentially patted me on the head and dismissed my problems. Prob MS, stroke and on and on. Heck; I even got the anxiety label mentioned as a cause. Uhh, yes it bugs me I cant walk and am pins & needles, screwed up speech and pain...

I am so very glad that you have someone who seems to be interested in figuring your issues out and is listening to you. We KNOW something isn't right with our bodies and all we need is an answer (and hopefully, a solution). Good for you for going after a 2nd opinion. Sounds like he/she may be a keeper. I hope they get it figured out and can help you feel better.

Funny how we seem to be programed as a population in whole to blindly accept what MD's say but if a car mechanic cant get our cars running smoothly we go to a different mechanic without batting an eye. Maybe I and everyone lese should start calling ourselves Ford or Buick:wink:

Oh, and nice to meet you!
jane

Thanks! I agree, though I think I shall call myself a Honda ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 196407)

Annoying, isn't it?! I can't feel my toes, my balance is off, etc, etc, but it is ALL in my head :rolleyes: Am I stressed? Yes! Because you keep telling me it's in my head! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jprinz99 (Post 196419)
Bullseye!!! Mine even asked my husband "Isn't it funny how our wives just flip out about turning 40?" Then he asked me if I wasn't just unfulfilled being a housewife!!!!!

I was so stunned I didnt say or do anything. I should have smacked him - hard:mf_swordfight:

jane

Oh my gosh! Are you kidding me? What a jerk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtle_78 (Post 196431)
That is great that you found a good doctor. I am going to give my new one one more try then he is getting the boot and I am going to find someone else.

I gave my other Neuro 3 shots. When he still kept insisting it was stress and migraines ( I don't even have a headache!) I kicked him to the curb. He never even did a neuro exam on me beyond reflexes. Pompous, really really pompous.

Good luck! I hope you can find some answers and get some compassion as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by susieq (Post 196493)
Isn't it great to find a doctor who listens to you and actually seems to care?! Congratulations! I hope he is thorough and you get the care you need.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 196180)
Welcome MamaMonkey.....it's nice to have another Monkey in the jungle.:D

Envious of your good luck in finding a Neuro who actually listens to you.:cool:

:hug:

Thanks! :D I really lucked out. I am thankful for the NMSS for their help in finding someone good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristi (Post 196139)
:Wave-Hello:Hey,MamaMonkey that's great that you found a neuro that you like,I love my neuro she's wonderful and she listens to you and explains everything to you so you understand what's going on. That's very important.

That is awesome. Apparently it is pretty hard to find a good one these days. Sounds like yours is a keeper, too :)

momXseven 01-25-2008 10:02 AM

Thats wonderful! I hope something comes up on your test to you can get some real answers.