NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Weak hands & watch batteries (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/51875-weak-hands-watch-batteries.html)

Blessings2You 08-11-2008 01:36 PM

Weak hands & watch batteries

What do people with weak hands do when they need to replace a watch battery? Surely people don't take their thirty dollar Timex watches to jewelers to have the batteries replaced?

The nice young woman at Kinney's popped the back off for me and put the battery in, but she couldn't get the back on again either. Her professional opinion was that Timex watches are the hardest ones to deal with.

I'm ready to throw it away and buy a new watch. Grrr. Bob has been wrestling with it for ten minutes. He'll probably break the crystal before he gets done. Oh well. Is there a trick? Are we on Candid Camera?

SallyC 08-11-2008 02:22 PM

Have you tried to needle a thread, lately..:eek: :mad: :D

kicker 08-11-2008 03:12 PM

Someone told me if it's water-resistent or proof. don't try, you can't get back on right. For 5-10 bucks there's a place at our mall that does it. Jewelers are too expensive. Good luck.

Erin524 08-11-2008 04:41 PM

I always take my watch to WalMart or Target. (Target does a better job I think)

I have taken my watches to places like the Jewelry departments in Von Maur or Dillards, and they'll do the batteries there too. Havent done that in awhile, since I quit wearing a watch when my arm was numb last year. I wear pendant watches now, or I'll just use the clock on my cellphone.

MSCherokee 08-11-2008 04:51 PM

What Erin said. I'm fortunate enough to con hubby into it most times, but there's a local store where I live that will replace the battery for you in their jewelry department.

tovaxin_lab_rat 08-11-2008 10:05 PM

I take mine to a jeweler's kiosk at our mall. For the cost of the battery, they change it for me.

jprinz99 08-12-2008 05:21 AM

I always take watches to the jeweler (not a kiosk, but one of those shee shee places). For 5-7 bucks I buy a watch battery and he installs it. sets it and polishes it for free. Sometimes the "jewelry store" is good value. Heck, he even inspects, cleans and polishes my wedding set for free while I am there.

jprinz99 08-12-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jprinz99 (Post 344856)
I always take watches to the jeweler (not a kiosk, but one of those shee shee places). For 5-7 bucks I buy a watch battery and he installs it. sets it and polishes it for free. Sometimes the "jewelry store" is good value. Heck, he even inspects, cleans and polishes my wedding set for free while I am there.

I do this for the $5 Kmart watches, Timex and my good watch - he could care less what I bring him and long as he has a customer who spreads good word of mouth PR.

lady_express_44 08-12-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 344564)
Someone told me if it's water-resistent or proof. don't try, you can't get back on right. For 5-10 bucks there's a place at our mall that does it. Jewelers are too expensive. Good luck.

I used to work for TIMEX, and they do not recommend that a person changes their own battery for the reason kicker mentioned.

As kicker said, most jewellers will do it cheaply enough, and a battery usually lasts a couple of years.

Cherie

weegot5kiz 08-12-2008 02:20 PM

well i for one don't use a watch, but I have a nice pocket watch, i had to bring in to have battery replaced, i could not for the life of me get it opened,

this may sound weird but you can ask deb about it i can usually guess the time to with in ten minutes I have no idea i have always been able to do this i have a good internal clock i guess, really freaks out my kids and deb lol, I did it at the hospital(this weekend) twice to same doc, and the doc looked around for a clock but it was on wall behind me, she even asked how did i do that

[personally i wouldn't spend a lot on a watch i break them or lose them :Bang-Head: ]