NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Personalities and MS (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/59934-personalities-ms.html)

4boysmom 11-17-2008 09:20 AM

Personalities and MS

Another thread got me to thinking?

Does having a "type A" personality lend yourself to having MS show up in your life?

I know many of us have been told that we had anxiety or were stressed before dx. My PCP used to tell me, you're just such a typeA! Let it go!

ADs did help me put perspective in my life. I don't think I'm nearly as bad as I used to be: liked being in charge; had to share my opinion - and of course, my opinion was the only one that made any sense ;); perfectionist; very emotional; helped everyone with everything; never said no; and on and on.

In the other thread, someone felt the need to correct stats stated by another. It didn't really add to the thread, but this person felt the need to correct the misinformation at the sake of making others upset. I've been there, and done that, I recognized the pattern. I've lost that need to "always be right!" since dx and years of ADs (not on any for the past 6 months, now though!)

Just wondering if being a type A makes you prone to MS. I know my first flare came at the height of my Type A-ness. Anyone else been told they are "Type A"? Anyone see any of these traits that may have contributed to stress that may have triggered the MS nestled in our genes?

FinLady 11-17-2008 10:04 AM

I don't know if it makes you prone to MS, but it sure makes the stress factor a little more fun. :rolleyes:

I've got "Type A" traits. My hubby jokes that my New York uptightness gets in my way sometimes. ;) :D It's been hard for me to learn to relax and choose my battles. I'm by nature a perfectionist.

Blessings2You 11-17-2008 11:24 AM

Good question, but I'm not sure there's an answer. I'm more a B than an A, and my Dad (who had MS) was definitely a B. I think it's pretty complicated. Like most everything.

barb02 11-17-2008 12:21 PM

Unfortunately, I am an "A." I try to calm down about things that really do not matter in the long run, but I am not always successful.

GladysD 11-17-2008 12:27 PM

I don't know if it makes us more susceptible, but maybe it's more of a common denominator?

My mom describes me as type A, I think I'm more B or E, but I certainly identify with the perfectionism, over-sensitivity, people pleasing, not saying no, needing to make sure that misinformation gets corrected, on and on and on.

This dx, combined with some other life changing events, i.e, three kids and a marriage that needed work has been a small blessing in disguise for me. Therapy and a combo of in-person and on-line support groups have been momentous for me in getting my stress down to a reasonable level. I've worked so hard, and am still a work in progress, at reworking my initial reactions and thought processes through mindfullness techniques, etc. They say we can rewire ourselves to produce a more desireable, less stressful reaction to life's little triggers/stressors.

Thanks so much for this thread today. Certainly means alot to me. :)

4boysmom 11-17-2008 01:16 PM

I think anything we can do to lessen our stress, is a good thing. I know when I'm in the middle of doing a lot (work, church, family) my tingly hand has a few fingers that just start throbbing and become numb. As I relax, sit in the hot tub, have a Calgon moment, it goes away.

I appreciate the fact that ADs have helped me find balance and perspective in my life! If I'm tired, it is okay to go home from work, put on jammies, and lay in bed and watch TV, at 6:00!! At least I put in a full day's work!

So my house is cluttery. Maybe I should dust - more than once a month :hug: Maybe I should eat better and lose some weight. Maybe my hair is a mess, needs to be colored and cut. I really don't care anymore.

But those lovely Type A traits are still lurking in me, and they do pop out once in a while!

SandyC 11-17-2008 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I am a type A but I don't go overboard in trying to make a point. Life's too short. We learned that pretty quick when Jim's ms took a turn. I don't have ms though.

Jim's a type A too. It's a wonder we haven't killed each other after all these years! haha

SallyC 11-17-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 409582)
Another thread got me to thinking?

Does having a "type A" personality lend yourself to having MS show up in your life?

I know many of us have been told that we had anxiety or were stressed before dx. My PCP used to tell me, you're just such a typeA! Let it go!

ADs did help me put perspective in my life. I don't think I'm nearly as bad as I used to be: liked being in charge; had to share my opinion - and of course, my opinion was the only one that made any sense ;); perfectionist; very emotional; helped everyone with everything; never said no; and on and on.

In the other thread, someone felt the need to correct stats stated by another. It didn't really add to the thread, but this person felt the need to correct the misinformation at the sake of making others upset. I've been there, and done that, I recognized the pattern. I've lost that need to "always be right!" since dx and years of ADs (not on any for the past 6 months, now though!)

Just wondering if being a type A makes you prone to MS. I know my first flare came at the height of my Type A-ness. Anyone else been told they are "Type A"? Anyone see any of these traits that may have contributed to stress that may have triggered the MS nestled in our genes?

Yes, Yes and Yes Indeed..:D

legzzalot 11-17-2008 02:54 PM

Wow I have always been told I am a type A never really thought about it but I do laugh when the doctor tells me stop stressing it is only making it worse. I don't remember how to relax.

Kitty 11-17-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 409582)

I don't think so. I'm so Type B that my DH used to tell me he needed to check my pulse to make sure I was still here!!