NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Have a new member in our family! (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/62936-family.html)

Koala77 12-07-2008 12:01 AM

Have a new member in our family!

It's a bird, and hopefully a boy bird! :D

Some of you may have been following the thread when I was looking to get DH a cockatiel for his birthday back in October.

All sorts of disasters happened (the little ones died), which meant he didn't get one for his birthday, even after many months of scheming with a local breeder.

I'd bought the cage, the toys and all the other accessories... we just didn't have a bird! :(

We finally got a cockatiel today. He's gray and yellow, and he's ever so cute. DH picked him out, and has named him Reggie!

We wanted a male because people here told me it's easier to teach a male to talk than a female.

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that we finally have the little one, and thank people for their imput to the other thread that I started.

Kitty 12-07-2008 08:19 AM

Can't wait for the pics of Reggie!! Male birds are easier to train than females (go figure....:rolleyes:).....we had a male parakeet when I was growing up and he learned several words in a relatively short time.

It's amazing how much joy a little pet can bring. I hope you enjoy him and he gives you many hours of entertainment! :hug:

jaded2nite 12-07-2008 10:48 AM

Can't wait to see Reggie. I love birds!! I had a blue Macaw for 17 years. Birds usually bond with 1 person and are so entertaining! I"ll be waiting for updates on your new Baby.

Dottie

Doody 12-07-2008 12:19 PM

Wow, it's been a longggg time since all the birdie talk ((Koala))! Glad you are finally getting him.

Say, maybe the males are easier to teach because the females are just too darned busy raising the kids and cleaning the cages. And they don't have the time to show off like the males do. :D

Koala77 12-08-2008 11:40 PM

OK...here's our very first photo of Reggie. His name rhymes with edge .... with an R at the beginning, and ie on the end. Like Reg, short for Reginald.

I haven't been able to get a good picture yet as we have the cage inside at the moment, and the flash from the camera is shining off his cage.

Hope to get some better ones when we get him outside of the cage and walking around.

Twinkletoes 12-08-2008 11:48 PM

Cute lil birdie, Koala. :)

So, is Reggie and little edgy in his new environment? :rolleyes:

Can't wait for better pics, but thanks for the sneak preview!

Koala77 12-08-2008 11:54 PM

Reggie has been a little edgey in his new cage Twink, but he's getting better.

He's even stared to mimic the kissing sounds I make to him.

Once he feels more at home, we'll take him out of his cage and give him free reign of the house. It's just a little early at the moment, as he's still getting used to us.

He is rather cute though....... :D

ali12 12-09-2008 07:21 AM

A
i'm so glad you have finally gotten your bird, Koala! He is absolutely adorable and I love his name, Reggie!

We have an African Grey Parrot called Sparky (he was born on Bonfire Night and the name, Sparky, reminded us of the fireworks) and he is awsome! He is such great company and I don't know what we would do without him! He loves talking and shouts all of us if we aren't up by a certain time in the morning lol.

I hope you have fun teaching Reggie how to talk - I know we did with Sparky! Thanks for sharing the picture with us all.

Kitty 12-09-2008 08:25 AM

A
he's adorable, Anne! I'd love to have a bird again but I've got enough to handle with my cats. I'm so glad you got him....I think he'll be the perfect companion for you and DH. Birds are amazingly smart!

Brokenfriend 12-10-2008 03:32 AM

Koala77

I had carrier pigeons when I was growing up. Another guy at the end of the block where I lived had them too. I also had turtles,and chameleons. We had Dogs,and cats when I was growing up. I have a cat now. BF:hug::hug: