NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Monitor Help (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/67906-monitor-help.html)

befuddled2 12-31-2008 06:55 AM

Monitor Help

What would make a 3 year old HP monitor go on and off and mostly off with my last 2 computers? I wonder if there's a cheap way to fix it? If not than I wonder if it could be sold for parts. It's a flat screen.

barbara

Curious 12-31-2008 12:00 PM

Hi Barb,

Have you gone to HP's site and checked for any driver updates?

mrsD 12-31-2008 02:07 PM

does it have

"Energy Saving" settings? If so turn them off.

If it goes on and off while you are using it? Check your connections to make sure they are tight.

befuddled2 12-31-2008 08:19 PM

I believe that I did check for driver updates way back when I still had it hooked up. I've checked the connection many a time when I had it hooked up. I had it hooked up to 2 different computers. I will have to check the driver updates again. I don't want the monitor for myself but to see if it's good enough to sell at the flea market.

barbara

Jomar 12-31-2008 08:58 PM

If connections are OK then check for bad wires by wiggling short sections of the cords while monitor is on, see if anything happens.

If you don't get any reactions from those tests...
Is it a skinny LCD flat screen or a big heavy CRT flat screen monitor?

If not heavy can you move it around or shake it to see if that makes it go on/off??

It would be one way to maybe find out if it is an internal problem or external.
internal not as easy to fix:(, a wire or connector can be replaced.

Lara 12-31-2008 09:36 PM

Hi there!

I'm wondering if the little 'on' light on the front of your monitor goes out or does it stay on when the monitor appears to have switched off?

Lara 01-01-2009 05:41 PM

The reason I asked about the 'on' light was that if it was an LCD monitor, then maybe there's a part in there that might be on its way out or flickering ready to fail.

I don't have an LCD monitor and not sure if you do, but maybe the back light might be the only problem and if that is the case then I think that can be replaced.

I'm just guessing here though... could be so many things.

befuddled2 01-02-2009 02:44 AM

Thank you Jo and Lara. The monitor is LCD skinny flat screen. I will try all those things.

barbara

XISLED 01-02-2009 03:23 AM

also dont be afraid to try a new cable. i dont know how many times sive gotten to a clients office and they were so in need of a monitor and went to buy one and it was just a bad cable from the computer to the monitor.

roger.

but if your selling it at a flea market put it out and sell as is.....

befuddled2 01-02-2009 04:28 AM

Thank you Roger. That may very well be the problem. I hooked up the monitor in question and in doing so I noticed that the bottom screw could not be tightened up with the nut? I'm not sure what they're called. I will look at it again when I feel better. What has me more concerned at the moment is that my puter crashed after hooking up the old monitor. Since the old monitor in question kept blinking I could not tell much of what it was saying. I did see that Windows Vista would not come up. After hooking up my current monitor my puter checked for errors and then it asked me if I wanted to do a system restore. I wonder why my computer crashed when it was turned off when I hooked the old monitor up. I thought that monitors were plug and go?

Barbara