NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Insensitive People (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/82250-insensitive-people.html)

Thumper2 03-24-2009 07:23 AM

Insensitive People

On my lunch yesterday I went to my favorite cafe and was sitting there when a women at the next table was talking about people with disabilities and said her friend had MS.

She then said "if that was me I would kill myself because who wants to be a retard". I had a bad because I went to my NS over some new frightening symptoms. I'm so afraid I'm having another relapse and after she said this I just busted out in tears. :Sob:

Is this what people think of us????? People are so nasty! :mad:

kicker 03-24-2009 07:47 AM

People are idiots. When I taught Emotionally Disturbed students, people who asked what I taught would say "How nice, you teach retarded children" and would be speechless when I shot back "No, not retarded, some are smarter than YOU!"

DH rolled my chair into an eye doctor, girl/receptionist looked at me, than my care-giver and asked "Can she fill out forms?" DH knew to keep his mouth closed.
"Why, yes I can." in my snottiest tones thinking I'm certainly smarter than you.

Before I was knowing, I talked a little louder than usual to a visually impaired aunt She (she always was a Pip) shot back, "I'm blind, not deaf." People are so ignorant, poor things.

legzzalot 03-24-2009 08:00 AM

You are nicer than me. I would have told her she should shoot herself for being stupid. I mean seriously. I still believe there should be an IQ test to vote, obtain a driver's license, and have children.

Dejibo 03-24-2009 08:09 AM

I think many folks who dont have this visit their personal circle will never ever take the time to get to know what this disease is, or what it can or cannot do. Clearly this woman was not a good friend to the newly dx MS patient she spoke of or she would have had some compassion, and empathy. She was so wrapped up in being gossippy with her other friend, about how brave she is that she would kill herself, that she forgot that voices carry. Its truly sad that this woman carries this kind of MIS information and is now spreading it far and wide.

PLEASE dont take these comments home with you! Please dont allow this woman's ignorance to follow you into the bright sunshine corners of this life. Chalk it up to her not being willing to be half the friend she proclaims herself to be. Please know that you are surrounded by many who DO understand, and who DO take the time to ASK you what YOUR sx are with this awful disease.

Come back here for many hugs.

AfterMyNap 03-24-2009 08:44 AM

Thumper, honey, there are always people who will choose to flaunt their ignorance in public.

The thing to do is celebrate yourself and pity the fools. (Then secretly hope that she gets mugged on her way home). ;)

For every one of "those" types, there are 100 enlightened members of society roaming freely. Seek them and don't look back!

SandyC 03-24-2009 09:02 AM

She's lucky you didn't show her how strong and smart you really are. :hug:

Niko 03-24-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 485816)
She's lucky you didn't show her how strong and smart you really are. :hug:

Very lucky indeed!

Cheers!

Niko:cool:

Curious 03-24-2009 09:17 AM

She was darn lucky she wasn't sitting next to a GTG. :eek:

Now Thumper honey...who do you think is lacking in the brains department? :wink:

:hug:

kicker 03-24-2009 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=legzzalot;485778] I would have told her she should shoot herself for being stupid.

They may find a cure for MS, stupidity - never.

Kitty 03-24-2009 09:51 AM

I've gotten brave in my old age so I probably would have said something to her. I'd have been nice......but I would've pointed out that I have MS, too, and asked her if she considered me "retarded" (and also let her know that term is inappropriate and insensitive). Basically put her on the spot and make her think about what she said. If it made her uncomfortable or embarrassed her in front of her friend then even better!

Chances are her boyfriend has cognitive problems that she doesn't understand (or doesn't want to take the time to learn about). For his sake I hope she takes a hike.

Let it roll off your back.....and be thankful that you aren't like her!