NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Guilt: that useless emotion (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/88250-guilt-useless-emotion.html)

Jodylee 05-31-2009 05:21 PM

Guilt: that useless emotion

My 89 year old year, dementia ridden Grandma passed away a couple of days ago. It was best for her and the family that it wasn't prolonged.

I feel guilty because I can't be at her service tomorrow. I'm physically not up for the 1000 mile trip to PA.

Worst of all, I realized that I have her wedding ring that I am positive that she would've wanted to be buried with. During the confusion after my mom's death last year my Dad gave my sister and me my mom's jewelry.
Somehow I ended up with my Gram's ring because my mom had been keeping it because of Gram's dementia.

My Aunt was trying to find it a few months ago when I figured out that the extra gold band in mom's stuff was the missing band. I planned on having my son take it with him to PA when he visits next month. My Dad didn't want me to mail it. Now I wish I had.

I know that my Aunt is probably torn up about this, I don't want to call her right now because it will just upset her more.

I understand, logically, this isn't my fault. Guilt sucks. I feel like it's something I should have thought of soon enough to overnight mail it.

I just needed to say this out loud, so to speak.

Aarcyn 05-31-2009 06:07 PM

I am sorry for your loss. :hug:

Honor her memory tomorrow and for all the rest of your life. I do not think your grandmother cared that the wedding ring was not on her finger.

Maybe, just maybe, the ring is supposed to be a loving remembrance to be passed to you or another member of your family.

Things can happen for a good reason.

Kitty 05-31-2009 06:14 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. :(

I agree with Cyn.....things happen for good reasons sometimes. Maybe you were supposed to keep this ring with you. I know you can't help second guessing yourself sometimes but at least you know where the ring is.....and you know that your Grandma knows it's safe - in good hands.

Twinkletoes 05-31-2009 06:29 PM

Joellelee, I'm so sorry about your dear grandmother's passing. :(

I can't help but agree with Kitty and Aarcyn -- I hope you get to keep it as a way to remember her. :hug:

lady_express_44 05-31-2009 06:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, Joellelee.

What about FedEx'ing it?

Cherie

Dejibo 05-31-2009 07:40 PM

I am sorry for your loss, but have to agree. I think Grandma would be upset if you dragged yourself 1000 miles and got sick. I am sure she would prefer that you wear, love and cherish that ring instead of seeing it be buried and gone. This way she can live on in your heart with a reminder. Grandma are good at things like that.

karousel 05-31-2009 08:04 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))
Don't feel guilty about not being able to go when you are not feeling up to it. Just make it a day of rememberance. I do agree with what others have written about the ring. Maybe you still have it for a reason - to have something of her to hold onto and pass on through the years.

SallyC 05-31-2009 08:13 PM

I am so sorry for yor loss..:hug:

The others are right, I think God may have wanted you to keep this ring as a rememberance of DG.

AfterMyNap 05-31-2009 09:01 PM

Sorry for your loss, J. Cyn has the right idea, it's only stuff, the memories belong to the living.

Jodylee 06-01-2009 06:27 AM

Thanks to all of you :). I'm going to wear it today. We wore the same ring size.

As usual, you've made me feel much better about it all :hug:.