Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Confused

Over a month ago my eyelid drooped for about a week. I went from Dr. to Dr. until here I sit with a "Understanding Myasthenia Gravis" brochure on my desk. My Neurologist says I have MG.

I feel fine. Vision fine. Eyelid fine.

No meds... come back in three months. Chest cat scan in the meantime. They'll call me with a time.

After reading the brochure...

Should I have mentioned I've been building miles because there is a half marathon coming up I want to run in? Should I have mentioned I walk four to six miles on a regular basis?

I did mention a surgery I have coming up and he said a local was fine.. If they want to do a general I should have the Dr. him before- what's that about?
Sam G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 04:31 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default confused

Sam,
It sounds like you are extremely overwhelmed with all the info right now and that is totally understandable. We all go through that when first diagnosed. I can only speak from my own experience but once my eye started drooping it never got any better until I started prednisone. I know there are several people on this forum who have never had any eye involvement at all. You say you aren't having any other symptoms and feel fine. That is great just pay close attention to things that before may not have seemed important but now may be such as tiring easier than before, arms and legs feeling weak or shaky after exertion, or a big one for me was anytime I lifted my arms above my head I noticed how tired my arms had gotten. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but when I was first diagnosed my eye was the only symptom I thought I had and then as I did more research and talked with people here learned that my arms being tired and wearing out easier were MG related. I also continued to get worse for several months while trying to find a medication that worked for me. I hope that will not be the case with you but just keep your eyes open for new symptoms. As for the Dr. wanting to talk to the surgeon before surgery if you have a general that is so he can make sure he is aware of the MG. It can cause some problems with breathing during surgery if you aren't watched closely. Hang in there and welcome to the group. Please keep us posted.
Kendra
dog lover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sam,

Kendra's advice is wise--it's good to be on the look-out for new symptoms. But there's also hope that you may never have them. 15% of people with MG only have ocular symptoms. See http://www.myasthenia.org/docs/MGFA_Brochure_Ocular.pdf (a brochure from the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America).

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sam, Hi and welcome.

Do you know why your doctor said you have MG? Did he run some MG antibody tests? Do you have copies? Did he do an EMG?

What's funny about eye muscles and double vision is that unless a neuro-ophthalmologist or neurologist points it out to you, you might have it and not even know it. It might be worth your while to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. They are specialized and can do tests that show fatigable eye muscle weakness.

I am a little concerned. If you have MG, and it has been confirmed with the right tests, then you should have had a discussion about your medication options. Waiting a MONTH to talk about it has the possibility for being dangerous for you. If you have a worsening of any symptoms that "feel" like muscle weakness, such as shortness of breath or difficulty swallowing, call your doctor. If it's really bad, you need to go in either to the doctor or the ER.

MG is all about muscle weakness. I don't know what brochure you got, so I may be repeating info. It gets worse upon repetitive or sustained activities, like running! It can get worse with surgery. You need to inform the doctors doing the surgery, like Kendra said, days BEFORE that your neuro has said you have MG. Certain drugs can make MG worse. A local may or may not be "fine." Any drug that sedates has a potential for making MG worse. Lots of other drugs too.

Was your only symptom a transient eyelid droop? Have you checked your eyelids later in the day? Try taking a photo of your face in the morning when you are well-rested and then later in the day. Sometimes you can't "see" the difference but photos will often reveal it.

They are doing a chest CT because sometimes people with MG have a thymoma, a tumor of the thymus gland. It's fairly rare. Some people have "hyperplasia" or an enlarged thymus gland. If they are doing contrast with the CT scan, Iodine is relatively contraindicated in MG. So is Benadryl, the drug they often give before giving Iodine!

I think you need to call your neuro and ask a lot more questions. It's pretty odd to have a neuro throw a diagnosis like this one at a patient and not discuss it more. Did they do a differential diagnosis? Did they look for any nerve palsies or anything in the brain that might've caused the drooping? Thyroid condition? Anything?

I hope you can get answers. Don't freak out! MG is manageable. There's a lot to know about it. Once you get a firm diagnosis, then we'll overwhelm you! These guys are a great source of support, as you've noticed already.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome Sam!

I don't know what tests you have had (if any). My neuro dx'd MG...and then did the tests to confirm. At the time my symptoms were irritating (to me), but very mild - like yours.

A CT scan, lung function tests, EMG, MRI brain and spine...frankly, I thought it was overkill for my complaint. Now that I know a bit more, I understand the tests (in my case they needed to rule out MS, vasculitis, etc.).

I would encourage you to read about MG and talk to folks here and to your doc. There are many 'degrees' of MG - it differs from one person to another...or from one day (or sometimes by the hour) to another for the same person. For me, sometimes I can string two 'good' days together before I'm exhausted!

Above all, listen to your body. If you're tired - rest. If your legs feel like jello - don't panic....rest. Then tell your neuro!

Good luck with your half marathon - - just don't push too hard until you have a good idea about what's going on.

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My sister has one eyelid drop almost every time she has a migraine -- this is not all that unusual for migraine sufferers, according to her neurologist. Did you know that it is possible to have a migraine WITHOUT having your head hurt?

Not saying that your doc is wrong..........but, I'm really hoping that you don't have MG!!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the responses!

I am “overwhelmed”…

I have had a little warning that I probably had MG. When my eyelid drooped I went to my eye doctor… who sent me to an Ophthalmologist – who was fairly certain I had MG, ordered blood work and made an appointment with a Neurologist… who after doing an exam and reviewing the blood work told me I had MG. But… he didn’t participate with my insurance program. Up until that point I was out of pocket for all my expenses.

Once I realized this wasn’t just an “eye problem” I made an appointment with my primary care doctor, who I hadn’t been to in 10 years, and started over. He ordered new blood work, then made an appointment with another Neurologist. The new Neurologist, after doing an exam and looking at the new blood work, diagnosed me with MG. So.. so far I have had a Ophthalmologist and two Neurologists tell me I have MG.

The primary care doctor ordered all kinds of blood work, I have twelve pages of results. In answer to the post asking if I had the results – I do.
Sam G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry, Sam. So, you are most likely AChR antibody positive. Good news -- you have "proof" that you HAVE MG -- if/when you develop more significant symptoms down the road, this might/should help you get more satisfactory treatment from medical professionals. Also, AChR MG is probably the best understood and, generally speaking, the most responsive to treatment. That being said, I have AChR and am now on full disability -- was able to work for one full year after diagnosis -- then, CRASH, BOOM!!! But, I am unable to tolerate the conventional treatments -- you could be JUST fine -- and do EXACTLY what the textbooks say -- live a somewhat "normal" life.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sam, The reason I asked if you had more than a "clinical" diagnosis and have had the tests done is because some doctors are not experts at MG. MG is a clinical diagnosis backed up with tests but without the tests being done, a doctor can't be certain that a patient has MG. I didn't want to "assume" that you had tests done. It would actually be useful to have an EMG or Single Fiber EMG. Most MG experts will not give a final diagnosis of MG without either those or a repetitive nerve stimulation test being done. Why? Because they need to "see" what the muscles/neuromuscular junction are doing.

This is an overwhelming disease at first. You do need to know about the "what ifs" because MG can be okay or it can get bad, as these guys have said. I think the most important thing you need to know about MG is that if you push it, it will push back. Meaning, if you do too much, MG can get much worse. And it can get worse exponentially, like earthquakes.

You might want to write down a bunch of questions for your neurologist. The first one being: If I have MG, why didn't you at least give me Mestinon?! Mestinon treats the symptoms of MG, not the autoimmune process. It can give you more of the "muscle gas" called Acetylcholine (ah-seat-ill-co-lean) that people with MG lack.

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything by giving you a lot of info. There's a lot to learn when you have MG. It's hard to get your head around the fact that you have a disease let alone all that comes with it.

I hope you will call your neuro if your symptoms get worse. Take it easy.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

(ah-seat-ill-co-lean) -- Annie, THANKS!!! I wanted to know how to pronounce this!!!
AnnieB3 (03-23-2010)