Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Could this be because of brain injury?

So first a little background...when I was 3 months old my dad threw me because I wouldn't stop crying, skull fracture, coma.....long story. I posted here once about 8 months ago, but I think I had to deal with everything emotionally first. I think I've done that enough so now I want to figure out what besides my peripheral vision was affected.

There's one problem that's always frustrated me I'm beginning to think was caused by that, and its hard to explain. I've noticed sometimes I have trouble getting my thoughts into words. I usually know exactly what I'm thinking and I try to say it and I can't. It's really hard to explain. Most of the time it doesn't happen at all, but its a lot worse when I'm tired or frustrated/stressed, and when combining frustrated/stressed/tired with someone asking me a question that I have to think about a bit. Sometimes when it's really bad I can't even sort out the thoughts, and occasionally my mind just goes blank after a minute. Then I get frustrated which just makes it worse and I end up stressed out, angry and not being able to communicate or think right which makes it worse. Another aspect of it that's weird is it seems to be only talking, not just communication in general. It's not nearly as bad if I try to write or type in that kind of situation.

I don't know if that made any sense at all, but does anyone know if that could be caused by what happened? Thanks
*Mystery52393* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Of course it could be something else but the symptoms are typical pcs. And, yes, pcs could definitely be caused by such action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_Not_Emo_xX View Post
So first a little background...when I was 3 months old my dad threw me because I wouldn't stop crying, skull fracture, coma.....long story. I posted here once about 8 months ago, but I think I had to deal with everything emotionally first. I think I've done that enough so now I want to figure out what besides my peripheral vision was affected.

There's one problem that's always frustrated me I'm beginning to think was caused by that, and its hard to explain. I've noticed sometimes I have trouble getting my thoughts into words. I usually know exactly what I'm thinking and I try to say it and I can't. It's really hard to explain. Most of the time it doesn't happen at all, but its a lot worse when I'm tired or frustrated/stressed, and when combining frustrated/stressed/tired with someone asking me a question that I have to think about a bit. Sometimes when it's really bad I can't even sort out the thoughts, and occasionally my mind just goes blank after a minute. Then I get frustrated which just makes it worse and I end up stressed out, angry and not being able to communicate or think right which makes it worse. Another aspect of it that's weird is it seems to be only talking, not just communication in general. It's not nearly as bad if I try to write or type in that kind of situation.

I don't know if that made any sense at all, but does anyone know if that could be caused by what happened? Thanks
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
*Mystery52393* (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

Anything is possible. I have the same speech problems. I am seeing a Speech Pathologist on Thursday.
July63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner63 View Post
Of course it could be something else but the symptoms are typical pcs. And, yes, pcs could definitely be caused by such action.
Thanks I did some research and it doesn't seem to make sense for that to still exist nearly 18 years later. Everything I've read seems to say that PCS is temporary or things like "In late, persistent, or prolonged PCS (PPCS), symptoms last for over six months,[7][9] or by other standards, three.[10]" (from Wikipedia). It didn't really say anything about this many years later, is that possible?
Many of the psychological symptoms I do notice in myself, but all that started when I was 12-13 years old so I don't think that's related to any of this.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

I also have similar problems and have been told it is due to the brain injury. And, in my experience it gets worse with fatigue, stress or too much auditory/visual stimuli and multi-tasking.

I keep trying to figure out ways to prevent this and how to improve it when it happens. Have you found anything to be helpful?
-Hazzell
Hazzell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzell View Post
Hi,

I also have similar problems and have been told it is due to the brain injury. And, in my experience it gets worse with fatigue, stress or too much auditory/visual stimuli and multi-tasking.

I keep trying to figure out ways to prevent this and how to improve it when it happens. Have you found anything to be helpful?
-Hazzell
Now that I think about it, it's also worse with too much going on, especially auditory things. I must be hard to hang around with in a mall
Luckily my family (mostly my mom, my brother does sometimes and I avoid talking to my dad anymore) leaves me alone for a little while when they notice this happening, but I haven't found many things that help. Mostly just getting away from the things making it worse. I don't know if this is possible for you, but the only thing I've noticed really helps me is playing a musical instrument, guitar or piano in my case. It's like it simultaneously calms me down and kind of refocuses my brain/thoughts, it that makes any sense. Music always sorts my brain out lol
Sorry if none of that helped, I'll let you know if I find anything else that does
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Xx,

Yeah, malls can make me a little crazy!
That's great that playing music helps you! I have a guitar but don't know how to play it- yet. I find listening to music helps me sometimes. Also writing, light movement. I've also noticed for me what I eat can make things better or a whole lot worse. Singing and laughter also seem to help- all of it when it's quiet and I'm away from chaos.
-Hazzell
Hazzell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
*Mystery52393* (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Thanks I did some research and it doesn't seem to make sense for that to still exist nearly 18 years later. Everything I've read seems to say that PCS is temporary or things like "In late, persistent, or prolonged PCS (PPCS), symptoms last for over six months,[7][9] or by other standards, three.[10]" (from Wikipedia). It didn't really say anything about this many years later, is that possible?
For some people PCS is a long-term or permanent issue.
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Not Emo,

This is a very common problem from mTBI. As you said, it gets worse when you get frustrated. The mall noise is also a problem, so what do you do?

As you know, you need to avoid the mall and other noisy environments. Then, when you have to go to the mall, go when the mall is not busy. Also, wear ear plugs. They will make a big difference.

You also must learn to accept this symptom as likely a lifelong symptom. Word finding can be a real pain but getting frustrated only makes it worse.

I have lots of word finding problems. Diverting my thought to another subject than returning to the original subject sometimes will free up the words. Also, sometimes, if I just look around at different visual images, almost naming them in my head, I will get sparked back to the words I am trying to find.

Like you, it happens most when trying to talk. It is rare for it to happen when I type but when it does, it is usually only one word that I cannot find.

Abstract or new subjects are the most trouble for me. If I am talking about something from the past, I usually have no trouble. If I try to communicate a new idea, I will have much more trouble. There are some things that I get stuck with that are from memory so I have learned to rehearse those comments before trying to speak them.

There is a saying, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt."

Now that I have learned to think more, speak less and rehearse my comments before spouting them out, I am thought a fool much less.

It may help to just be honest and say, "The word wont come." For me, it happens two ways. The word wont come to my lips or the second half of a thought just disappears. I call it, "My thought just fell off a cliff." because it is as if the first part of a thought is standing at the top of a cliff and the second part has fallen off the cliff and has disappeared.

Learning to accept these events makes them much less frustrating. In my experience, they rarely make any difference to others, just to us.

Has your family read the TBI Survival Guide? You all need to.
You can download it at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?file=TBISurvivalGuide.pdf
or read it online, chapter by chapter at www.tbiguide.com

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
*Mystery52393* (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I actually do rehearse things in my head before I say them, even entire conversations and thinking of how to respond to anything the person might say. Mainly because of shyness/social awkwardness (possibly social anxiety) but I also want to know exactly what to say in case I have trouble saying or finding the words, especially with someone that's not family.

My family hasn't read the TBI Survival Guide, though I will when I have time (college semester starting soon. fun...lol). As far as the rest of my family, none of this is brought up, ever. Especially around my dad. It's like their huge dark secret that's not a secret anymore, but still never talked about. But, I'm basically an adult now (18 next month) I can deal with this myself. Well, I have to. Thanks for the reply and the links