Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Mild but persistent tachycardia

A couple weeks ago I got dizzy in the shower and fell. When I went in to the doctor, my BP was low (90/64) and I was mildly tachycardic (heart rate just over 100). She told me to stay home and rest that day and lowered my dose of amitriptyline to 30 mg.

I wasn't TOO worried because my blood pressure does tend to run a bit low (90-100ish over 60-70ish) and my pulse does tend to run a bit high (80 while seated/resting hasn't been uncommon).

Today when I was at a different doctor for an unrelated procedure, my BP registered low and I was again mildly tachycardic (high 90s-low 100s throughout the procedure). Today I did not feel particularly dizzy at any point in the day, although I have been having "woozy" moments where I have to stop while standing up and wait for my head to clear. Again, not entirely unusual for me.

I suppose this could be because I was nervous about the procedure, but I'm also a little concerned about the heart rate being consistently high over a couple of weeks over a couple of doctors. In the interim I have also switched antidepressants to 30 mg celexa (I used to take 40 mg prozac).

Sound alarming? Or am I being a hypochondriac?

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm not a doctor, but like you said, I'm pretty sure your heart rate was increased due to the anticipation of the procedure. I don't think its anything to worry about. Mine can be anywhere from 80-105.

About a month or so ago, I went to the ER because my heart was beating weird. They decided to give me an EKG. Well, the nurse checked my blood pressure before giving me the results. While the machine was hooked up to me, I asked the nurse what the results of the EKG were. When he told me it was clear, he started laughing and told me my BPM was dropping drastically from 105 to 89.

If the doc wasn't too concerned about it, its probably nothing. I always stress about things like that but the docs never say anything so I figure I'm okay.

Today I went to fill a prescription for my son at CVS. They had a blood pressure machine there and I decided to try it out. I was 150/100. Freaked me out. But since my injury its been high like that and the nurses/doctors never say anything.

If your really concerned about it I would ask the doc next time you see him/her. Just for peace of mind.

Last edited by SpaceCadet; 01-10-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Eowyn,

Have you been staying properly hydrated?

I was hypotensive for about 2 weeks 8 years ago due to inflammation in my neck. When the inflammation finally resolved, everything returned to normal. The tachycardia may be in response to the low BP.

Have you ever taken niacin? It can open up your arteries, especially your peripheral arteries/arterioles and capillaries.

Wiki says: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS, also postural tachycardia can be caused by..... (SSRIs) such as fluoxetine (Prozac),

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (01-10-2012)