Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Neuro...new diagnosis

Been on a computer hiatus for a few weeks(since computer use is the leading cause of my headaches). Good to be back but not too glad. Went to another Neurologist to get a second opinion. He diagnosed me with "Post-traumatic Headache" instead of PCS. I was under the impression that post-traumatic headaches were part of PCS? Seeing as I also originally had all of the other classic PCS symptoms for months after my injury sensitivity to light, dizziness, etc. So I'm not too sure about his diagnosis. I asked him if 8 months with problems was rare and he said it was uncommon for someone to suffer from PCS for this length of time but for post-traumatic headache, 8 months is normal. He stated a span of 6 to 12 months was the norm for PTH.

This new Neurologist got me back on Amitriptyline which is good seeing as my original Neurologist switched me to Notriptyline(which didn't work as well) and a follow-up in 3 months. This new doctor also wants to give me a nerve block(numb some nerves in my head??) on my next follow-up in a few weeks. Any advice on this? He seemed very nonchalant about doing this and said that it should rid me of all headaches for a few months. He also prescribed me 25mg Topamax. I bought it but I'm very hesitant to try it after researching a side effect from it which can cause permanent blindness

Anyways, not sure if the Topamax or the nerve block is really warranted for my condition at this point. Just taking the 30mg of Amitriptyline daily. I only get headaches after looking at a computer screen for too long. Very rarely are they that painful any more as they have decreased in severity and frequency. Taking lots of breaks away from the screen helps. I still get the sharp stabbing headaches in the back of my head a few times a day but these only last seconds. My main symptom is head discomfort now.
__________________________________________________ ___________
8 months PCS (or is is it PTH now???). Current symptoms: Minor headaches, constant head discomfort(itching, tingling, cool sensation in face and head), tinnitus, easily aggravated, depression(when will it end ).
TooStressed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Drifting,

I your head aches are tolerable, I see no reason to add more meds. Learning to understand your head aches will be much better that using an artificial way of avoiding them. If the amitriptyline keeps them manageable, try to use this time to develop more head ache management skills. As you learn your tolerance for the computer and other activities, you may become able to manage almost all of your head aches.

Chances are that you will need these skills in your future. From time to time, you will experience a relapse of PCS symptoms. Having management skills will go a long way.

I would disregard the PCS vs PTH diagnosis. Your neuro sounds like a run of the mill doc regarding PCS. At least he is treating your head aches successfully.

Don't be afraid to express your own ideas about your care. The Lidocaine nerve blocks and Botox shots do not work for everybody. If you have found success, you can make your own choice to continue with that success.

Think of how you are learning to manage your head aches. These same kinds of observations and modifications in your behavior and activities can help you manage your struggles with irritability and getting easily aggravated.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Drifting (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Switching from amitriptyline to topamax did help my headaches. Topamax was a better preventive for me.

However, Mark is correct that in the long term, you do want to find out what is causing them and try to get rid of or manage that underlying root cause if you can.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Drifting (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Drifting, my experience with Topamax was not long and not so good. 25mg low dose gave me tingly hands and feet, sleepy, did not want to eat and last and worst symptoms was dizziness which is my primary symptoms! so I got off of it after a a few days. Now I know these symptoms may have subsided after longer use but I'm not prepared to do that at this point.

I may ask my doc for amitriptyline as I hear many PCS patients have good results with it.
Valleybob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Drifting (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Valleybob,

Amitriptyline will make you crave carbs...sounds like the opposite of Topamax

If you don't have issues sleeping then Notriptyline may be better fit for you since it has less side effects but if you suffer from chronic insomnia like most of us here, the Amitrypline has a nice sedative effect. I take a dose during the day too which mellows me out. Guess that's why it's an anti-depressant.
TooStressed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote