Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default re-looking at M P powder (update)

For your info post.

I have been taking Zandopa for around two months. It has helped me reduce the Sinemet dramatically, fast, and surprising it was quite easy. I seem to have a new problem. I am addicted to the Zandopa. I feel more like a drug addict than ever before. I start getting edgy well before my med. schedule. Similar side effects I had with the high (1500 mg) Sinemet a day that I was once on (not too long ago) showed up again (vibrating legs, calf pain, no energy) Huh? That was fast; I started reducing Zandopa today.

I am having good results with L-Tyrosine and Dopavite at night so I will substitute that for the Zandopa while I try to reduce my Sinemet CR 100/25 from four to three a day. I did try three for about a week by changing to a 6 hour med schedule from 4 hours. I wasn't ready physically or mentally when I started to notice what effect Zandopa seemed to be having.

Sometimes one wonders if they will ever have a stable period in their life again. I'll keep those interested in reducing their dopamine posted.

Bonnie
Ibken (07-30-2008), kk13 (07-31-2008)

advertisement
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Bonnie,
you know I also find that the mucuna I've been taking has stopped working for me and that the Sinemet actually is working better than it used to right now....weird. But I've also just had these extreme acupuncture implants, so my chemistry is going through many changes...but I am going to now give the kind of mucuna that Rick and Ibby take a try, along with the ginger and ashwaganda, and see whether that's different or not.

But had a revelation lately that I don't think it's ultimately all about dopamine for us, and the constant emphasis on dopamine is wrong somehow. I think serotonin is much more of the underlying avenue of approach....I am basing this entirely on instinct and revelations through deep meditation about my body, and struggling not to have a nervous breakdown these days. Realizing about all the corruption in our medical world in the last few weeks has taken a big toll on me....I knew, but I didn't know how really bad it was, and I feel devastated. But I digress. Anyway, I think serotonin is somehow the healing elixir, and we skew our chemistry by focusing so much on dopamine, making our bodies very adrenalized...or something like that. This is the opposite of hard science. It's very personal, completely uninformed and subjective science, a bright new field of inquiry for the future!!!
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Bonnie- What sort of dosages and timing are you using? And have you tried any form other than the Zandopa? Also, that was a lot of sinemet you were taking so any changeover should be gradual.

I agree with Fiona, there is much more than a natural form of Ldopa at work. And it doesn't take much either. I'm taking one teaspoon with a half tab of Sinemet CR 200/50 two to three times daily. I figure that to be five to eight grams. The studies say that 30 grams is an effective dose but that is too much. I also have good results when I leave the Sinemet out altogether but it doesn't last as long. Finally, combining it with a ginseng capsule also is effective for me.

What it is doing I have no idea, but I do feel that as I finetune this that I am improving overall. That feeling and the fact that ayurvedic use is of a cure rather than an indefinite ongoing treatment of symptoms makes me think that it is changing something and it seems for the better.

My wife (non-PD) tried it and the effect was almost like a tranquilizer. (She is very sensitive so a little goes a long way.) So it may be acting on the stress element as well.

It may also be adaptogenic. In fact that is what I am hoping for - something a little more subtle.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Fiona,

Like you I have other things going on. I am seeing a physio-therapist for numbness on my left side of my face. I don't have any noticeable paralysis or facial dis-figuration but it is odd and has been going on for a year. It may be as simple as how I hold my head. My lumbar problem has a lot to do with my posture which affects everything else. I notice sometimes I am so out of tune with my body I even forget to breath properly. Sometimes I catch myself holding my breath.

Boredom from years of this affects me psychologically. That is where the Serotonin comes in. Right now I am taking 200 mg of Zoloft a day, I will lower it to 100 mgs and go off it completely. I have done this a few times. Do you take an anti-depressant?

I do feel down even though I have made great strides in lowering my dopamine. I am finding it difficult to relax. I have the adrenaline problem back again as well. Maybe this is natural.

In some cases I wonder if it may have a lot more to do with emotional personalities than dopamine. Which compliments your theory. My observations are based on very limited information of course. I noticed a higher number of teachers received a pd diagnosis than in other careers. Why, viral or control? And is this fact or fiction?

My family history is all about physical pain and how badly it was handled. My Mom and sister spent half their lives in bed popping prescription drugs for pain. My Dad is riddled with arthritis and does no drugs of any kind but his life has been miserable because of pain. And their pain and now mine may have control issues. I felt controlled by them and I know my children feel the same about me. This is what I want to change in my life.

I thought I had escaped being the tomboy, athletic, and going for it. I feel dragged in. I am not feeling sorry for myself just po'ed at.........I can't remember anymore! Oh yeah the pain. But upwards and onwards

Bonnie
Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick, back at you soon. I need to take care of this back and not sit too long.

Bonnie
Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A website I found with comments on MP. Some may be offended by language on a couple of the posts. I thought it worthy to pass on. The more information you have is my theory.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...sage298652/pg1
Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 PM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Bonnie

Interesting site but I do wish they went for more footnotes.

I've been wondering about your experience. How are you doing now? 1500 mg of sinemet is an awful lot and might take a long time to switch from. You also mentioned Zoloft. I have no idea what that might do. Darned stuff scares me.

Also, you mentioned tyrosine. In some folks it can be stimulating. My wife is very sensitive to everything and tried it. She experienced a general sense of restlessness. Not like caffeine though.

I've been taking tyrosine with a multi-vit and a little bit of mucuna for the last two days and I think I am seeing improvement. From what I have read it should be a week or so before I reach any conclusions.

Onward through the fog!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick, here is another site with lots of info on MP

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=906295&page=2

I am going through a terrible time right now for the sake of progress.

Yes 1500 mg of Sinemet was excessive. The reason it got so high was because I ramped off Mirapex, kicked off the Clinical Drug Trial for Istradefylline I was in for 3 years for going off the Mirapex. So for 3 yrs. I was taking it and then not. (no ramping down). I was put on Requip, Azilect and Comtan all for a short period of time (approx. a month each). This was all in a six month time frame. I ended up having a breakdown in the middle of this for three weeks. This is when I decided I couldn't do the drugs anymore. Believe me I was in dire straights. I was ready for extended care. I am tapering off Zoloft as I speak. I thought I needed it because I was depressed about the whole situation I found myself in. I agree with you it's bad stuff.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick,

I was taking 1 tsp of MP powder with 1 Sinemet CR 100/25 four times a day. After two months I noticed the MP makes me feel like I need more and that scares me. I have not had any problems with L-Tyrosine and I have been on it for approx. 4 or 5 months. I wouldn't do more than 500 mg daily to start with. I can take 1500 mg but mainly take 1000 mg between 6pm to 6am with Melatonin. I stopped taking Creatine and L-Glutamine on a regular basis until I get into a regimented exercise program.

Last edited by smithclayriley; 08-02-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add
smithclayriley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (08-02-2008)
Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Parkinson's disease /Ayurveda name: Kampa Vatha- perhaps can halt PD!

Name of medical problem: Parkinsonism/ Parkinson's disease
Ayurveda name: Kampa Vatha

According to the principles of Ayurveda, Parkinson's disease develops because of aggravation of Vatha dosha in the nerves in the brain. Aggravated Vatha dosha can dry up the nerves with adverse affects.

The disease usually develops during middle age or old age. According to western medical views the loss of dopamine - the nerve transmitter is one of the main causes of the disease.

Specific symptoms:

Patient may develop tremors (shaking) of hands or fingers. This is present before starting work (Movements of fingers like pill rolling). Sometimes this can be seen even in the rest of the body. But once he/she starts to do something, the tremors will stop.

Patient feels stiffness (rigid) present in muscles.

When walking, patient cannot turn at once.
Ayurveda Treatments

Internal treatment:

Usually a set of decoctions (herbal medicinal drinks) is given. At the beginning decoction should contain ingredients to achieve a balance of Vatha dosha and later the decoctions should have nutritious or rejuvenating value. The decoctions contain masha (Undu) - Phaselolus radiatus, Babila - Sida cordifolia etc. and are very effective decoctions
Dasamula Arishta which contain several ingredients including herbs and roots such as Aswenna, Polpala, Ela batu, Katuwelbatu, Hin nerenchi, Beli, Midi, Thotia, Palol, Et demata and other herbs, are also given orally to balance the Vatha dosha and as a tonic.
Ashwaganda Choorana - orally taken herbal powder. Dosage, one teaspoon, twice a day with milk. It contains medicinal plant namely Ashwaganda-Withania somnifera, which has mainly a rejuvenating property and acts as a nerve tonic.
External treatment:

Following treatments are also given depending on the patient's condition.

Shiro Abhyanga and Shareera Abhyanga (special head and body oil application)

Shiro Dara Treatment (special head oil treatment)

Pinda Sweda Treatment (Mild oil massage is administered to the patient with the help of special milk rice medicinal bundles made of cheesecloth.

Shiro Vasti treatment (Keeping oil over the head with the help of special cap)

Nasya karma (drops inhaled through the nose)

Rasayana karma (Rejuvenation)
Prospects of cure:

Depends on the severity and complications of the disease. If in the early stages, disease can be retarded, and symptoms can be controlled.
Minimum period of treatment in order to see improvements should be more than four weeks.

http://instituteofayurveda.org/english/casestudies.htm
http://www.toddcaldecott.com/ayurvedic_book.html

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Last edited by lou_lou; 08-03-2008 at 12:52 AM.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote