Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 03:55 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Crazy anyone have any tips on: recovery (memory, mental organization tools etc)

My accident was just over 4 years ago. I was in a coma for a few days and, paralyzed one of my arms....

Here I am 4 years post-accident; back in college. Last semester, I pulled a pretty good GPA -even with a physics course- This semester, I have completely buckled! We just had midterms and, I have unfortunately managed to do so poorly (mainly on exams - that was never an issue before the TBI) that I will have to drop ALL of my courses.

It wasnt until about 3 weeks ago that I became fully aware of how sever my TBI is. I guess I just thought subconsciously that if I simply avoided it, then it would just go away. WRONG!! This whole TBI thing is more like the IRS- its collecting interest I think?!

While I DO have an incredibly ambitious schedule (calculus, 3rd-term chemistry, 3rd-term biology -both with labs- and english comp/lit) it really wasnt until recently when I REALLY became aware of how TERRIBLY my test performances have been in addition to my inability to recall newly learned information, inability to organize multi-step chemical and mathematical equations, and OH MY GOSH.... Im SOOOOOO ridiculously impulsive its embarrassing!

Does anyone have any useful tips or tools to help me learn how to effectively overcome these common characteristics associated with most TBI's???

I was at a workshop today and someone recommended something that I am eager to try but, I would LOVE info from others who also endure the same things.

THANKS!
mellogurly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I wonder if you are open to visiting Dr. Daniel Amen MD?

He does scans of the brain, called SPECT. Those can show exactly where your damage is and why you are having the difficulties you are. Dr. Amen uses many natural and dietary approaches to improve brain function.

http://www.brainplace.com/

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (11-06-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mellogurly,

as mrsD said, Dr Amen is in the Concord/Walnut Creek area. He has an expensive clinical process but it may be helpful

Regarding your school. You need to go to Disabiliy Services and request assistance. They can provide a note taker and allowances for more time and a quiet atmosphere to take you tests. Multi-steps processing can be a bear. It will likely heap if you can clear you desk of other stimuli or at least cover it with a clean sheet of paper. Then, try to break the problem down as you calculate the formula.

The intent is to allow your brain to only see and process the smaller part of the problem. As much as you try to focus on only the step you are working on, your brain is likely not able to block out the other steps.

This same problem can exist in exam taking. Try covering the rest of the exam with blank paper so you only see the problem/question at hand. When studying, try making crib sheets (small notes with a few facts or formulas you need to memorize.) 3x5 cards work good. Look at them from time to time during the day, trying to memorize the information.

This repetition at odd times will help you brain retain the information. It may also help to write down the information on a blank sheet of paper as you say it out loud. This is called multi-sensory learning. You use tactile, auditory and visual processing to help the brain retain the information.

Try to sit at the front of the class so you do not have visual or auditory distractions.

You should be able to get Disabled Services to help you spread you exams out so you do not take them in close time proximity. One a day may be too much. You may need a day off between exams. This is a reasonable solution.

Eat healthy and get good rest. Cramming does not help as much as some think. Instead, do periodic short study periods throughout the semester. You will not only do much better but you will retain more information to build upon the next semester. Try to study/learn for life rather than study for a test.

Hope this helps.

I have been there and done that. Spring semester st San Jose State I needed to drop Zoo 101 due to brain overload. I almost flunked Electricity & Magnetism Physics too. I did great in Weight and Motion the previous semester. That semester killed my hopes of getting into dental school.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (11-06-2011)