NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Darn Nickel Allergy with Dermatitis / Food allergies (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/9067-darn-nickel-allergy-dermatitis-food-allergies.html)

Rhapsody 12-16-2006 12:08 PM

Darn Nickel Allergy with Dermatitis / Food allergies

I was just wondering if there might be someone here in the forums that has had to deal with this allergy..... with in jewelry, food, clothing and household/work items.

I am almost 40 years old and while I have never had an allergy of this type - I have just recently become allergic to Nickel and Nickel Sulphate which is often found in jewelry and most common daily foods, especially in green food and citrus fruit.

Any HELP would be greatly Appreciated!!

... for I am tired of all the daily coughing, nasal & chest congestion, spitting up of thick phlegm... not to mention the body rash from where the metal touches my body.

I cannot wear my wedding band any more - :(

californiaDana 12-16-2006 06:53 PM

Im sorry to hear that Rhapsody

I have a nickel allergy every sincince my first daughter was born. Now I wear gold, but it has never benn an issue with food.

Dana

Rhapsody 12-16-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by californiaDana (Post 50438)
I have a nickel allergy every since my first daughter was born. Now I wear gold, but it has never been an issue with food.

Dana

I too wear GOLD jewelry, but that is exactly what is causing my skin to break out and not to be able to wear my 14k Wedding Band any more (after 20 yrs of marriage), reason being is that most GOLD that is 14k or less is often mixed with Nickel to make the metal stronger and last longer.

Now what............... I guess my body has just become very sensitive to Nickel over time, therefore, I am having problems with food and other items that contain Nickel in them. :(

Should Foods Containing Nickel Be Avoided?
There is disagreement within the medical community as to whether a nickel-sensitive person should avoid dietary nickel. A nickel-restricted diet may be prescribed for highly nickel sensitive people for a few months to see if there is any improvement in symptoms.
In this instance, the foods to avoid include acid foods cooked in stainless steel utensils, baking powder, beans, buckwheat, canned fruits, canned vegetables, cocoa & chocolate, dried fruit, figs, green beans, kale, leeks, legumes, lentils, lettuce, licorice, linseed, millet, nuts, oats, onions, oysters, peas, pineapple, prunes, raspberries, salmon, shellfish, soy powder, spinach, rhubarb, sprouts, sunflower seeds, tea, tomatoes, wheat bran products, and multigrain breads.

Treatment for Nickel Allergy
There is no way to desensitize a person with nickel allergy with shots, pills, or any other method. Avoiding use of nickel containing products is the key in treatment. Often times a rash can be stopped by applying a cortisone cream or lotion, but it can and will return with exposure.

What is a lady to do........ HELP!! - anyone?

Rhapsody -

Cherie 12-18-2006 08:27 AM

I started years ago breaking out under my wedding ring. The doc said it was the nickle that is used to harden the godl and suggested I paint several layers of clear nailpolish in the inside of the band and let it dry thoroughly between coats. That has worked for years to keep the rash at bay.

Never knew it affected foods as well. Can you imagine having to paint every leaf of spinach with clear nail polish, letting it dry and then eating it?:icon_wink:

Boopers 12-18-2006 11:05 AM

I have always been allergic to any metal that is not gold. When I was 18, I got my ears pierced for the first time and after they healed, I bought these great pair of earrings but they weren't gold. I didn't know then, that I was allergic. I ended up getting metal poisoning that ran down both sides of my neck!! Talk about painful!! So, everyone knows that if they buy me jewelry of any kind, it has to be gold. Needless to say, I don't get much jewelry!! :D
So far, I haven't been allergic to any food!

Linda

mrsD 12-18-2006 11:31 AM

Nickel is in alot of foods.

It is not understood well, as an allergen. If you are not getting mouth sores,
I would not think it is having an effect.

If you want to try an experiment, you can take Zantac or Pepcid over the
counter for a week, or two and see if they have a positive effect.
H2 antagonists, are often used in food allergy reactions. (Prilosec will NOT
work--it is not an H2 antagonist).

Rhapsody 12-20-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 50971)
It is not understood well, as an allergen. If you are not getting mouth sores, I would not think it is having an effect.

YES, mouth sores can be a sign that you are having an allergic reaction to Nickel, but there are other symptoms (which I have).......
Skin reactions such as itching, burning, redness or other rashes are common symptoms with Nickel sensitivity, and asthma attacks are another, but less frequently seen in people.

I personally tend to get the over all body rash that comes and goes when I come into contact with Nickel, in food and items.... plus I suffer more from sinus problems when to much Nickel gets into my body, via vitamins and food.

SIGH!!! What can I say, but that I have become extremely sensitive to Nickel this past year.... one of those rare few people that fall into the 2-5 % range that will develop Nickel Allergies. :(

Thanks for the advice with the suggested experiment - I have done something similar to that and it helped some, but not enough. :(

Lara 12-20-2006 02:58 PM

Hi Rhapsody, I'm sorry to read of your problems with the allergy.
I'm curious as to whether you've ever had any type of orthopedic surgery or implants of any kind? I'm only asking because there are a few articles in PubMed regarding the onset of generalized dermatitis after certain orthopedic procedures using products containing nickel.

Lara 12-20-2006 03:08 PM

Wow, I was just doing some more reading. Nickel is in so many things. I had no clue! This must be an awful allergy to have, Rhapsody.

mrsd, is the Zantac or similar something that will affect the PH of the skin. That's what I was thinking about. I've had a few of problems over the years with discoloration from jewellery (obvious to me now that it's probably the nickel) and I only noticed that when it was extra hot weather and I was perspiring. I've never had the dermatitis though. I was just putting two and two together here and wondered if it's the PH of the skin that would make that discoloration... like leech out some of the nickel and if so, would that be worth checking into for Rhapsody?

http://allergies.about.com/cs/nickel/a/aa011000a.htm

Quote:

Besides jewelry, nickel may be found in belts, clothing hooks, eyeglasses, hairpins, metal buttons, watches, and zippers.

Also consider cigarette lighters, cupboard handles, doorknobs, handbag catches, keys, key rings, kitchen utensils, lipstick holders, needles, paper clips, pins, pens, pocket knives, powder compacts, razors, scissors, silverware, thimbles, toaster, tools, and vacuum cleaners as potential sources of nickel.

Does It Contain Nickel?
There are kits available to test items for nickel content. The kit consists of two small bottles of clear fluid; one contains dimethylglyoxime and the other ammonium hydroxide. When mixed together in the presence of nickel, a pink color results. Ask your doctor or pharmacist where you can purchase one of these kits.

Rhapsody 12-20-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 51658)
Hi Rhapsody, I'm sorry to read of your problems with the allergy.

NO.... I have never had any surgery that involved implants or metal devices and YES.... I have the Nickel Kit for items, but that does not help much with food that I eat. I did however realize this week that the Vitamin that I take has 5mg of Nickel added to it, therefore, I am changing to Centrum (reg formula for adults) for it does not add Nickel to its vitamin.... other formulas of Centrum do however, so one with a Nickel allergy must read the label to find out.

I have already been to my doctor and a dermatologist and they both have confirmed that it is indeed the Nickel that I am allergic to, they have a Nickel Testing Patch.

Still lost and hoping that someone else may come along that has this problem as well and maybe they can HELP me out a little.... for eating a Nickel FREE diet is near to impossible. :eek: :confused: :eek:

Brandy3 12-28-2006 02:08 AM

Nickle Allergy

Hi Rhapsody,

I have the very allergies that you do and probably a lot more. I am also on an impossible diet. I am allergic to nickle, cobalt and chromide(?)--I would have to go back and look on my papers to get the correct label for the chromide allergy. I am allergic to other grains and have food sensitivities to meat, dairy and gluten. I should really live on air and water. The only food that has given me comfort is sweet potatoes, eggs, and bananas. I suffer from constant indigestion, bloating, gas, chronic sinus problems, coughing, asthma, ezyma, migrains, etc. When I can be really good on this diet, I feel great--like a new person. However, keeping on this tremendously strict diet is so challenging.

I have been eating quinoa, but don't really like the taste. I wished I did because living on this unreal diet gets real boring and cooking for my family has been extremely challenging. I used to be a very good cook, now I don't even want to look at the kitchen. Eating out, forget it. Eating at friends homes, well, I bring my eggs and sweet potato otherwise I will be sick for days. Also, I love outdoor sports, but eating sports bars are out of the question. I wish I could help you out, but I'm feeling stuck my self. However, I would very much like to keep in touch in order to exchange information about the food allergy and if you get any break throughs.

Rhapsody 12-28-2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandy3 (Post 53518)
Hi Rhapsody,

I have the very allergies that you do and probably a lot more. I am also on an impossible diet.

I suffer from constant indigestion, bloating, gas, chronic sinus problems, coughing, asthma, ezyma, migrains, etc.

Eating out, forget it.

I would very much like to keep in touch in order to exchange information about the food allergy and if you get any break throughs.

Thanks for the reply and for letting ME know that someone else out there understands what I am going thru.... from personal experience, for I too suffer from headaches (migraines), couching, head & neck pain and sinus problems.

I too have become sick of FOOD for it often leaves ME SICK (for days) and I can hardly eat out, for when I do I am usually hit with nausea and body swelling & rash.... drained of all enegry. Yuck - Phooie Spit Spit :icon_mad: :Sigh:

Please do keep in touch and maybe together we can find some relief.... right now the only thing that I have found is Centrum Vitamins that are without Nickel in them if you buy the regular type for adults.

Plus I am trying to fight not wanting to eat out of FEAR of being SICK but once again.... :Sigh:

StacyWms 01-24-2007 02:19 PM

Trying to cut nickel out of my diet

Rhapsody,

Boy am I glad to find you. What a familiar tale! I am also a 40 year old woman who is allergic to nickel. It doesn't seem to be "contact dermatitis" for me (meaning, I don't have rashes on my skin from jewelry - although I don't think I wear any jewelry with nickel in it - though my wedding ring is 14k gold, so maybe I do).

My problem is that my lips hurt/burn 24/7. It's taken me over a year to identify nickel (in my diet) as the culprit. I'm at day 10 of trying out a nickel-free diet in order to confirm that it's the nickel making my lips hurt. The problem is that, when researching which foods contain nickel online, the lists don't agree. They all agree as to the worst offenders, but then there are some foods on the "ok" list on some sites (corn, beer/wine, lettuce) but the same foods are on the "avoid" list on other sites. Some have trace amounts, and for fruits/vegetables, I think it depends on the soil they're grown in.

The lists all agree that the only foods that are pretty much 100% nickel-free are meat and dairy (including eggs). So 10 days ago, I started eating nothing but meat and dairy (and drinking nothing but distilled water, since tap water has traces of nickel in it). Pretty severe, yes, and don't worry - I don't plan to do it more than 2 weeks.

Results so far (besides losing 7 pounds in 9 days, which was really quite cool after the holidays, albeit alarming at the same time) - my lips feel better than they have since this burning sensation hit in Sept. 05. I'm disappointed, though, that they don't yet feel 100% normal. My plan was to wait until they felt normal and then add back the "low nickel content" foods one by one so I can find out which of them bother me the most/least. I may have to move forward with that even though my lips aren't 100% because I don't know how much longer I can do this severe diet. It can't be good for me.

Today I realized that the couple of days I've worn lipstick during this test, my lips have felt slightly worse, so lipstick may have to go as well. I'm trying to keep really good notes on everything I do.

Rhapsody, I'd love to continue to compare notes so we can learn from each other. I keep searching the web thinking surely someone has already done all this hard work for us!

Curious 01-24-2007 02:32 PM

hi stacey and welcome to neurotalk.

i'm short on time...but thought you might want to check the lipstick case. if it has nickel..your lipstick can absorb it or you might get the nickel from just touching it.

aol just had some articles on toxins in makeup.

edited to add: here is a link i found with some good info. i hope it helps. http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/nickel-allergy.html

Rhapsody 01-26-2007 01:50 AM

While I am not happy (at all) that I can no longer wear the wedding set I have worn for 20 long years.... I can report that I just purchased a new wedding set made from Platinum (as suggested by doctor) and so far all is good.

Who would of thought that a Nickel Allergy would have been the solution to a bigger and better Diamond, not to mention the two-sided diamond band my NEW engagement ring can slide into - :Dancing-Chilli: :Dancing-Chilli: :Dancing-Chilli: :Dancing-Chilli:

HAPPY!! :trampoline: HAPPY!! :trampoline: HAPPY!!

LoVe,
Rhapsody -

Rhapsody 01-26-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StacyWms (Post 62764)

Rhapsody,

Boy am I glad to find you. What a familiar tale! I am also a 40 year old woman who is allergic to nickel. It doesn't seem to be "contact dermatitis" for me (meaning, I don't have rashes on my skin from jewelry - although I don't think I wear any jewelry with nickel in it - though my wedding ring is 14k gold, so maybe I do).

My problem is that my lips hurt/burn 24/7. It's taken me over a year to identify nickel (in my diet) as the culprit.

Today I realized that the couple of days I've worn lipstick during this test, my lips have felt slightly worse, so lipstick may have to go as well. I'm trying to keep really good notes on everything I do.

Rhapsody, I'd love to continue to compare notes so we can learn from each other. I keep searching the web thinking surely someone has already done all this hard work for us!

YES, by all means please keep in touch and together we can learn and teach each other as we are educated on this allergy of Nickel.

As far as the make-up thing goes might I suggest that you look into the new line created by Laura Hutton - while I rarely wear make-up any more I do use her line of products on special occasions.

LINK: http://www.laurenhutton.com/index.html

Good Luck.....

Your NEW Friend,
Rhapsody - :hug:

Maggi86 02-01-2007 10:52 PM

I have an allergy to nickel. I am 20 years old and within the last year, my nickel allergy has gone from bad to worse. It started out with having rashes after wearing cheap jewelery and has now spread into body rashes from food containing nickel. I also have a hiatal hernia, constant heartburn, migraines, coughing, and sinus congestion. I have been on Zantac for about 6 months to help w/the hernia and heartburn. I have also been on a preventative headache med. I have my wedding coming up soon and am embarrassed by all of my rashes. I have tried the nearly impossible to follow, nickel-free diet. The rashes take forever to go away, even with the use of aloe vera. I am so grateful to hear of the suggestions that have been made. I will try all of them and hopefully by the wedding, my rashes will be gone!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Maggi86

mrsD 02-02-2007 10:12 AM

Dear Maggi...

Have you seen a dermatologist?

Did you get a systemic nickel allergy diagnosis?

I ask because some chronic skin conditions can be due to diet..and
food intolerances.

Gluten is the most common one:
here are two websites to read:

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/646/main.html

and
http://www.csaceliacs.org/dh_symptoms.php

With your GI issues, it would be a good idea to consider Gluten intolerance.
We have a board here that can help you with that.

Good luck!

qwerts346 04-07-2007 12:07 AM

wedding rings with nickel

I also am very allergic to nickel. When I first got my wedding ring my finger blistered. I was proposed to on Friday and by Sunday my finger was so blistered that I could not put my ring on. Luckily my jewelers had dealt with this before. They plated the inside of the ring with rhodium so my skin doesn't actually touch the white gold.
New rings made from White gold typically come already plated with rhodium. My ring was my grandmothers that she had made in 1975, so apparently this was not a common practice back then. You should be able to have your jeweler plate your ring for about $50-$100. My jeweler said that you should probably have your ring replated about every 10 years or so because it will wear off.
So luckily you can still wear your wedding ring!

nannyrus@bellsouth. 10-08-2007 01:44 PM

nickel allergy/ razors

Does anyone know of a brand of razors (especially for women) that do not contain nickel?

Tiffany 10-31-2007 07:19 PM

I to have am allergic to nickel. I think it may be causing dishydrotic eczema. I have severe blistering on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. The outbreaks seem to be sporadic and I can't find a common link. I am wondering if it is my diet. Does anyone else have this condition along with the nickel allergy. It is very painful.

patio 12-03-2007 01:20 AM

nickel allergy

Well, I have had contact dermatis caused by nickel in jewelry most, if not all of my life.
About ten years ago I developed eczema and it became very severe-over most of my body, extremely uncomfortable, with bad patches that oozed and became infected. I was on triamcinalone and clobetazole cremes (sp?). I started noticing that it was much worse after eating certain foods, like chocolate and citrus fruits. My dermatologist told me that some studies had shown that some people who reacted to nickel contacting their skin with dermatitis also reacted to foods high in nickel.
I found out which foods were high in nickel and many of them I instanty recognized as problem foods for me. I went on a diet low in nickel and my eczema improved dramatically. If I consume any of those foods it comes right back. Just a tiny bit of chocolate does it.
My dad had the same type of dyshidrosis as you, huge blister on the soles of his feet and palms. He never figured out what caused it. But you might try eliminating nickel in your diet. It's very hard to do but really helps me.
Also, I researched and found that excess nickel in the body binds (chelates)to something in cilantro so I make a paste with cilantro, garlic and olive oil and eat that to help my body get rid of excess nickel. It seems to help. Good luck!

janedough 01-10-2008 12:21 PM

Hi,
I'm a 44 year old female with major allergies, asthma, fibromyalgia and polycycstic ovary syndrome. I just found out last summer that I had a nickle allergy when I asked why I was breaking out around my wire frame glasses. I got titanium frames this time and it has made a huge difference.

Over Christmas, I have been having a major anaphylactic reaction, swollen tongue and throat, trouble breathing, hives, heart palpitations etc. My allergist felt it was due to the metformin I take for the PCOS and took me off of it. On one trip to my allergist, I picked up a freebie publication on allergies. They had an article on nickle allergies. In the article, it said that if you have a nickle allergy, you shouldn't cook in stainless steel or eat canned goods. It said that the nickle from the cans and pans leaches into the food, particularly with high acid foods. Given the "bucket theory" of allergies (your immune system is like a leaky bucket, as long as you don't add allergens faster than the bucket leaks, you don't react. If you add too many allergens too fast, the bucket overflows and you react), I decided to act on the tip. I got rid of all my canned goods and bought some aluminum pots and pans. (I did some research first, the whole aluminum cookware/alzheimer's connection seems to be pretty well debunked, there is something like 15 times more aluminum in one antacid tablet than you get from cooking a meal in aluminum cookware and diabetes is looking to be the biggest risk for getting alzheimers. Besides, the restaurant industry never stopped using aluminum, so if you eat in restaurants, you're getting it anyway).

Anyway, the result is that my anaphylaxis is steadily retreating. Interestingly, my fibromyalgia seems to be retreating with it. I take a muscle relaxer for it, and I can take anywhere from 4 - 8 milligrams a night depending on my level of pain. Over Christmas, I was taking 8 milligrams and still having pain. The last two nights I've only taken 2 milligrams and had little or no pain. I have never taken that little muscle relaxer before. I've also stopped having trouble swallowing and stopped having symptoms of what I thought were hemorrhoids but now appear to have been internal hives. I'm starting to think that this nickle allergy has been going on for a long time at a lot more serious level than I realized. Has anyone else out there encountered any of this?

Katriona 01-31-2008 08:12 AM

Nickel food allergies and anaphylaxis

I've been suffering from food allergies for many many years. I've not been able to find any pattern to them until now. I've just figured in the last couple of days that all the foods I react to have a moderate to high nickel content. I've often thought I was going crazy.
Two years ago I had severe swelling of the tongue where I was close to stopping breathing and had to be rushed to hospital. The reaction started after eating prawns. I had had a few mouth ulcers and blood blisters with prawns, but not each time so I was caught unawares. The nickel content of those prawns must have been very high.
I develop hives and severe itching as well as rashes when I consume all the usual nickel suspects (chocolate, nuts, green leafy veg, potatoes, wholemeal grains, lettuce, some fruits, peas, lentils, onions, garlic. Oh my the list is endless it seems).
I stay better when I eat meat, poultry and dairy produce. Not so clever on the fibre that. I've read that sweet corn (maize in the US? (I'm writing from the UK)) is OK for nickel so have started to eat that. Thank you for the tip re cilantro. I will try that too.
For the anaphlaxis I now carry epipens (ie adrenaline for self injection) should my tongue swell again.
About a year ago I started getting lower back pain which no-one can figure at all. They reckon it may be psychosomatic. It's like fibromyalgia, I think. I find sitting for any length of time quite unbearable. It has had a devastating impact on my life but somehow I've figured a way of coping.
This last year I had been trying to eat more foods. As I had no idea about nickel I was trying bread, potatoes, chocolate, peas, lentils. Oh my! Anway I got severe pain in my fingers which my doctor could not understand. I mentioned allergies and he laughed. I felt a bit silly. I gave up some of the foods that made me itch a lot, but kept trying others. Then my lower back went.
And the gut bloating (had this for ages too) got worse and life seemed quite hellish.
Recently my right arm started to hurt, and the taste of food seems very odd. My heart rate is sky high (85-100) and my blood pressure is 130/100 ish.
I've stopped all that trying different foods and have reverted back to my old old rather tedious diet, but I'll add the corn and see what happens.

Sorry such a long post, but it's great to have found this forum.

Rebecca123 02-17-2008 09:59 AM

Nickel Allergies

It is a relief to find this page. For the last 20 years, I have had dyshidrotic Eczema. However, I only read today that it may be due to nickel allergies. I have a swollen tongue quite often, where it feels difficult to annunciate clearly. I get the rash on my hands. I stopped taking vitamins when I ran out, and bought a new brand only to find that I broke out in a rash. I've been trying to rule out specific vitamins I may be allergic to.

I have had rashes all over my arms for years. Never TOO severe, but annoying. Long sleeves in summer and all that. Anyway, yesterday in a fit of PMS, I ate nearly an entire box of chocolate (Valentine's Day gift). Now, I eat chocolate all the time, but in small quantities, spread out throughout the week. I never saw a correlation with chocolate and rashes. But today, when I woke up to hands covered in blisters, I started wondering.

I will try Centrum (regular adult formula) as recommended. I will also eat a lot of cilantro (I had no idea it helps leech nickel out of the body). I do not wear any jewelry, but will be sure my boyfriend buys me platinum:) I will also look into buying new pans, or cooking in my teflon lined ones.

So, a couple questions:
1) How can I find out if a vitamin has nickel added? Will it be on the label?
2) Do lotions and makeup have nickel in them? I know I cannot use most "natural" oils. No almond, shea butter, coco butter, olive oil, etc. But I also seem to be extremely sensitive to most fragrances. Is this an entirely separate issue?
3) Other than cilantro, are there supplements that can help remove nickel from foods?
4) Where is a list of the foods with the highest nickel concentrations?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

buffettchick 03-19-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca123 (Post 217608)
It is a relief to find this page. For the last 20 years, I have had dyshidrotic Eczema. However, I only read today that it may be due to nickel allergies. I have a swollen tongue quite often, where it feels difficult to annunciate clearly. I get the rash on my hands. I stopped taking vitamins when I ran out, and bought a new brand only to find that I broke out in a rash. I've been trying to rule out specific vitamins I may be allergic to.

I have had rashes all over my arms for years. Never TOO severe, but annoying. Long sleeves in summer and all that. Anyway, yesterday in a fit of PMS, I ate nearly an entire box of chocolate (Valentine's Day gift). Now, I eat chocolate all the time, but in small quantities, spread out throughout the week. I never saw a correlation with chocolate and rashes. But today, when I woke up to hands covered in blisters, I started wondering.

I will try Centrum (regular adult formula) as recommended. I will also eat a lot of cilantro (I had no idea it helps leech nickel out of the body). I do not wear any jewelry, but will be sure my boyfriend buys me platinum:) I will also look into buying new pans, or cooking in my teflon lined ones.

So, a couple questions:
1) How can I find out if a vitamin has nickel added? Will it be on the label?
2) Do lotions and makeup have nickel in them? I know I cannot use most "natural" oils. No almond, shea butter, coco butter, olive oil, etc. But I also seem to be extremely sensitive to most fragrances. Is this an entirely separate issue?
3) Other than cilantro, are there supplements that can help remove nickel from foods?
4) Where is a list of the foods with the highest nickel concentrations?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I would definitely see a dermatologist. Ask them to do a patch test. I had it done and I was diagnosed with mutiple contact allergies-nickle, cobalt, cinnamon, blue-9 (used in any clothing that is blue, purple, grey or black) and fragrance. The fragrance one is really big. I have had to change a lot of things. Deoderant, soap, lotions, detergents, makeup and hair products. The hair products have been the hardest to change because there are only a few brands that make a fragrance free shampoo and conditioner. Nobody makes hair spray. Also, just because the label says it is fragrance free doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have fragrance. There are a bunch of chemicals that are actually a fragrance additive. Benzyl Alcohol is the one I have seen the most in the labels that is a fragrance additive. My first time shopping after finding out I spent 2 hours just in the beauty department reading labels. Target sells a brand called Method. The Go Naked "flavor" is great! There is no dyes or fragrances in it. It has hand soap, dish soap, surface cleaner and surface wipes. I don't have any problems now when I wash dishes!!!

I do have the nickle diet too. I haven't been following yet. But basically, no leafy vegatables (i.e lettuce), beans, nuts, canned fruits and veggies, wheat products.

Victorya 03-24-2008 10:30 PM

I developed an allergy to the nickel in a dental bridge that I had had in my mouth for almost 10 years.

The bridge had come loose ever so slightly (enough to cause errosion of the nickel???) and manifested in "migraine-like" (but not migraine) headaches.

They disappeared when the bridge was removed and replaced with a bridge made of non-nickel material.

VRDAMEN-UK 03-25-2008 08:26 PM

Nickel allergy

Hi All,

Just joined this site as a nickel sufferer for 13 yrs I redcently got worse the past three years, I have had every ailment under the sun you name it I have seriously suffered that much that it put me in hospital for two weks in March 2007 because I hd poisend my body with nickel.
I took up the acoustic guitar three years ago ws fine for six months the a mate of mine told me to use nickel strings for a better sound - as I was 39 at the time I was diagnosed with nickel allergy at 27 so it will be more around 15 yrs now but I never thought about it as it never seemed to affect me that much so forgot all about it. I did suffer some allergies to cetain foods like acidity / vinegar etc but that was all but it was since I use nickel strings for 2.5 yrs that things got from bad to serious life threatening.
I have spent the last year soing y own research as MY NHS for theuk Hospital specialists did not have a clue how to treat me exzcept give me uvb light treatment which only clear the skin surface not the problem from with in-
Now I have done my research and I mean I have gone as far as possible and it turns out that Nickel and Mercury causes Gluten / MSG allergies. If you want to ease the itchy skin and get it cleared up it will tak an average of 4-6 months depending on how long/serious rash /blistering skin is I have had blistering skin disease due to nickel for at least on and off 18 monthsvery painful and distressing often thinking at times of suicide /depression which ispart of the symtoms among other things like Flu / nausea / chest pains cramp muscle spasms bloating laryngitus etc stomach acid being very tired each day.
My answer to everyone who does suffer from any of the above chnage your diet asap or you will never heal I now live of chicken / porkand ham/gammon ( do not eat steak / beef bad for your condition)anything containing yeast which is a preservative to combat food decay or any food thats been cooked and has been injected with preservatives you must only eat fresh meat you cook yourself or is cooked with no seasoming etc.
Avoid bread / biscuits dairy products eve eggs as the yoke contains nickel MSG(Monosodium Glutamate) known as the chinese takeaway disease is very bad for you it aggravates you itchy skin condition which I have no doubt you have all heard the word uracateria - well thats what I thought I had but it turns out nickel causes Dermatitus herpetiformis which is a blistering skin disease of water blisters which form and are very itchy and when knocked it turns into a very itchy spot /rash that can get infected and eitherlast for days /weeks or months at a time- know this for a fact because I have suffered badly from this and still now and again get a sudden burst when I try something new.
I have had all the creams antibiotics anti-estimenes waste of money antibotics god for infection but thats all if you want to get beeter then read on>>>>>>>>>>
Do not eat

Steak /beef eat white fish only no additives each chicken and pork ( also bacon and gammon (not ham) only eat butter ( no vegatable oil or Olive oil) as these iols are bad for you you must only use Sunflower oil for cooking onlyor butter.Do not use gravy as this can contain harmful ingredients like yeast and soya (I have tried Boulion gravey does not work as all items contain at least one harmful additative)

Do not at at any bread products. I have tried gluten free wheat free and egg free bread but it containd yeast which made my skin react so cut it out altogether only tried this bread after going 12 months without but don not miss it and the weight just drops off.

Do not at anything thats green as in vegatbles or fruit do not eat any kind of tomatoes or onions because of the acidity avoid all canned foods or foods in plastic bags like soups as the lining on the inside is nickel which containates the product which kills the bacteria in foods.

avoid barley /oats / wheat / soya and malt product malt and barley are found in most cereals and vingar products spirit vinegar is also a no go'er.
if you like your patoato chips (Crisps as we call them in th uk )then only eat ready salted or sea salt butit has to say Gluten / Msg free on the packet as I have found out many manufacturers put gluten/wheat /yeast /and msg into these foods so you must eat those crips only anything flavoured will keep aggravating the skin disorder.

Drinks - no other drinks allowed except for Cider this is safe Magners is best or Cider that only conatains suphites and nothing else other than alcohol Suphites is low on MSg plus the sugar turns to alchohol anyway so its very safe to drink bottle only no cans as all aluminium cans arenickel lined inside ( I know because its all I drink now when I decide to go for a drink with the lads and lassies. If you drink beer or red wine stop asap tried it does not work you have eliminate all the offending ffods and drinks if you really want to get this under control.
I have just been registered in the UK as a gluten free patient based on my own research which I had to prove to the medical board of Skin specialist who agred that Ihad tried and tesated foods over thew last 2 yrs on and office and writing down the effects which sometimes could take a couple of hours or two days to show.

If you drink tea/coffe and lots of it like I used to this must cease as these conatin yeasts /sugars which makes it worse do not drink coffee you can buy Green and Black tea which is a combined product which you can have with milk (the milk must be lactose free) you cannot use normal milk I changed my milk after months of eliminating and I am OK with lactose free milk

You must not eat any flour unless it states that it is gluten and wheat free which is mostly topica flour etc

This is what you can eat....

Small amount of carrots each day / small amount of potatoes (no green vegatables) you can also eat turnip (not swede)do not at any kind of sprout there all effect your condition eat plenty of fresh chicken / turkey / pork you can eat lamb but only once ina while but you must not at steak / beef tried introducing it made my sin react, all meat must be fresh and not bought cooked you must either have them cooked in a restuarant so you can eat them once its done or cook it yourself the foods must not be contaminated with any offending foods that has had wheat in in it ike batered stuff etc if you like chips like me only eat oven chips cooked in Sunflower oil will say on packet 98% sunflower 2% salt these have no effect on you condition what-so-ever if your bothered about putting on weight (don't worry)as with cutting out the bad/offending foods you will lose weight and feel healthier with in three months and your skin will start to clear up the scars will take longer but you will feel better in yourself but I will not lie it will take at east six months to nine months for it to ressolve but you must stick to the diet as I have done its frustrating at times but the outcome is a better way of life for you add me to msn if you want to chat regarding my findings avoid fruit altogether especially acidy fruite like oranges limes some apples etc but most fruits conatin knickel from natuarl resources fromt he ground there grown in if you like bakdpotatoes take the skin of befoe you cook it as I have found out the skin heats into the potatoe tried eating them fro a week and reacted took skin off then cooked them no reaction the knickel is in the skin I have rambled on long eneough like said add me to msn on the above e-mail address as my doctor says asfar as he knows I am the only person in the uk to have done my own research into my condition and allergies / or hypersensitivities to certain foods etc wghich I am thinking about writing abook next year as I have helped some people with eczema and there have done what i suggestd and there conditon cleared up afer 6 weeks - if you suffer from eczema do not eat airy products not even eggs / yougurtetc and only drink lactose free milk see ya bye Hopethis info helps

Regards Mark from England

aalleexx 04-13-2008 03:37 PM

Always knew Nickle was a problem.

I have just recently discovered this website after having confirmation that I do in fact have a rather intense nickle allergy, among other substances.

I read one lady also has issues with her gold jewellery. I too have issues and one of the substances I reacted to even worse than nickle, was Goldsodiumthiosulfide. It is apparently in certain dental material and is a type of salt that is leeched from gold.

I notice a lot of people have issues with jewellery and certain types of food, but nickle is in a lot of cosmetics, especially eye stuff. I have stopped wearing makeup altogether, and all types of creams, lotions etc on my face. I do feel better and I am no longer experiencing sore itchy eyes, or any Urticaria. I had a number of episodes of Urticaria, and nickle can cause be a cause of this.

I would really like to find out where I can obtain the Nickle Free Diet because I'm finding it difficult to know what to eat and how to figure out what has a high level of nickle in a food and what doesnt, because so many things have nickle in it.

thanks....aalleexx

katweena11 05-07-2008 07:27 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new here so please excuse me if I'm barging in on this thread but I'm getting desperate! :(
So many here seem to have an allergy to nickel so what better place to start :p
So here's my story...
I've been getting puffy, red itchy flaking eyes for about a year on and off. Been to several doctors and it's been nothing more than a run around.
I've also gotten a patch test and the only thing that has come up is nickel. Even without make-up I get flare ups. So my question is:

could I get a reaction only on my eyes if it's nickel in food related?

Thanks in advance! :grouphug:
Katrina

cygnus x1 05-19-2008 05:53 PM

Hello all ...

I'm new here, have found this forum by complete accident - and am glad for it! I've been nickel sensitive for the past 31 years with flare ups far and few between until recently. The past three years have been an absolute nightmare.

Rhapsody - I thank you for mentioning buckwheat as being a potential trigger (in my case at least). I've been using a sobakawa pillow for several years - I guess this explains the near-constant seborrhea. As comfortable as they are Sobakawa pillow is going bye-bye for something that is really hypoallergenic, IF such a thing truly exist.

And Lara, thank you for the mention of razor blades! This had not even crossed my mind. It could very well explain the flare ups on my legs.

Although, the discomfort I have been experiencing for the past (well, almost three years) could be of a more insidious nature. The end of August of this year will mark the third year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. The reason I mention this is because my current dermatologist told me that following the hurricane, every dermatologist in this area was swarmed by people with complaints of eczema - which leads me (and him) to believe that there are contaminants still lingering in the soil and air - three years after the fact. Pre-Katrina, my flare ups were - as I previously stated, far and few between - and very short lived. Post-Katrina, well - since we have returned home, it has been a constant battle. I refuse to believe this is coincidence.

That being said - I'm currently on my third day of Prednisone therapy (for the second time, which I *detest* due to the side effects) and I woke up this morning with a large, nasty oozing sore on my scalp - hair, glued to my head. So again, Rhapsody - I think you've nailed it with the buckwheat - or, shall we say sobakawa pillow.

And finally, Katweena - YES, the reaction on your eyes could very well be food related. I have *never* worn makeup - and last week, I experienced the same exact thing.

Now, here is a question I wish to pose to every active member of this forum. My *former* dermatologist said that eczema can and will not effect mucus membranes - yet, yesterday - what I believed to be an eyelash turned out to be a tiny cluster of blisters on the INSIDE of my lower eyelid. Has anyone ever heard of this?! The blisters are thankfully gone today. It's definitely not allergic conjunctivitis - I've had numerous times.

Hopefully, with all the brilliant minds here - and in combining the extensive research I'm sure we've all done, we can all find a way of helping each other through this miserable disease. Even if it is only to listen.

Peace,
Cygnus

mrsD 05-20-2008 10:18 AM

you might find this useful...

http://www.dormer.ca/Phy_Pages/Nickel.aspx

Also chronic rashes may be due to gluten intolerance. We have a celiac/gluten forum here. Please check it out.

Lifebright 05-22-2008 06:16 PM

Very glad to find this place!

I'm 16, and developed a nickel reaction for various reasons when I was about 13. It started with a huge, midly uncomfortable rash all over my arms and legs, of course not knowing the cause, and beeing a typical teen, i was wearing cheap market-stall metal bangel over the rash! The doctors were pretty rubbish, took months of trips and a visit to a dermatolagist to conclude that nickel was the cause.
Since then the area coverd by the rash has lowerd majorly, but it's never gone away compleatly, and become worse in the places that it does still hit. Theres a patch just below my belly button which i think has been effected, and often infected, for 3 years straight. Apart from being horribly horribly uncomfortable, stupid rashs all the time arn't the best way to build a young girls confidence!
Other areas i've found effected badly are underarms (razors?), neck (which I worked out was from the 1cm strip of metal in hairtyes, from wearing my hair in pigtails - i HAVE to wear my hair like this for work, but discoverd tyes which are fastend by glue so are metal free =]). I don't wear earings, if i do (even higher quality ones) then after an hour I have to take them out.

Doctors have given me tons and tons of antibiotics, millions of different creams and lotions, but not of them seem to be quite doing the trick, not to mention horrible side effects of the meds. I've tried and tried to cut nickel from my life, but find it unavoidable in things like jeans and belts (although have tried covering up the buckels and studs with nail polish, tape etc.)
I'm a student, and i'm fed up of not being able to buy cheap and cheerful jelwery from New Look and the like (by the way, Claire's accesories is by far the worst, if anything from there pretty much touchs me then I flare up).

Couple of people have mentioned razors, i've looked tons of times and can't find any nickel free =/
Also, someone mentions psychosemantic (sorry about my awful spelling) rashes, what are the symptoms of such of that? I've always had heat rash as well, as long as i remember.

Very sorry for the long post, reading other peoples I can't believe you've had to resort to nickel-free diets, sounds horrible =[ *chocoholic!!*
I'm fully aware you guys have much worse conditions as me, but the chance to post and possible get advice from somewhere that people have a chance of understanding is intreiging!

Thanks,
Lifebright.
x

skigirl 05-27-2008 07:21 PM

pieces of the puzzle

I have been reading threads for several hours today. I have also visited the Celiac/Gluten-Sensitive forums. The majority of my medical issues began during my first pregnancy about 4 years ago. I also had symptoms as far back as 1985. I have been clinically diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Raynaud's phenomenon, nickel, citrus, and latex allergy. I have been evaluated for Celiac, but my endoscopy came back clear as far as the lab could ascertain. I have read from the Gluten Dr. that under electron microscope, the damage may be visible; however, the lab does not use that level of scrutiny. In January 07, after my second pregnancy, I went to my doctor for post-partum check up c/o pain in joints, especially right shoulder, left wrist and pinky joint, muscle-stiffness and muscle-spasms. These muscle spasms are not the ordinary, charlie-horse in-the-middle-of-the-night cramps, although I get those too. I can cause these cramps at will by flexing or bending to a certain degree or for an extended amount of time (10-15 sec). For example, eating my salad at lunch today, I got a muscle cramp in the palm of my right hand on the right side because I was holding the fork for too long. I could only ski 3 runs on Sat and 2 runs on Monday this weekend, because the cramps in my feet and legs were so intense/painful. I didn't have good control during my turns especially. My toes and feet will contort when I place them in certain "normal" positions. I am sure this is peripheral neuropathy, but will not be seeing a neurologist until June. I also get numbness and tingling plus vibrations in my feet like a livewire or electricity. I will have hot and cold flashes in my feet. When I do a lot of walking, it feels like blisters are forming on the bottom of my feet and they hurt intensely, but there are no blisters. The left foot tends to be worse than the right. At first I tried eating a million bananas and taking Ca supplements. I also presented gastrointestinal symptoms last January of frequent diarrhea, gas, bloating and abdominal pain. It is hard to explain everything in a forum (not enough space). My GP or PCM (DR) began testing me for lupus, thyroid, gout, bone spurs, and at my request gluten-sensitivity. My cholesterol was high, especially my HDL oddly enough, and my liver and kidney levels (she didn't specify) were high. She tested me again. My gluten blood work came back as follows: hi for AGA IgG but lo for AGA IgA. My overall IgA was not tested. I went on a gluten-free diet for 8 days and my symptoms subsided completely. No more muscle spasms - even when skiing- no more diarrhea, gas or bloating and my mental clarity improved. The funny thing is that I didn't even know about hidden gluten at that time. I went back on gluten and my neurological and gastrointestinal symptoms recurred within 30 min to 3 hours. After my biopsy I restricted gluten again and have been attempting a gluten-free diet for about 2 months now. I say attempting b/c it is difficult to eliminate all the sources of gluten. I, to my knowledge, according to labels that say gluten-free, have not had any gluten in weeks, but my neurological symptoms were quite severe this weekend. Possible cross-contamination? So I started looking into vitamin/mineral deficiency that causes muscle cramps. As I told my dr, I feel vitamin deficient. My hair has also been falling out. I lose my train of thought easily. I have the most difficult time remembering the name of something as simple as grocery car, stroller, or envelope. I can picture it in my mind, but I can't find the word for it. It is so frustrating - 10 or 20 seconds go by, embarrassing, irritating to other people. Agh! I have angry outbursts or get frustrated by simple things like dropping things repeatedly or spilling my coffee (daily). So in my research I happened to run across a thread today that mentions gluten-sensitivity and nickel allergy. An additional symptom that has flared is a rash on my arms, but worse on my neck, so I took out my earrings yesterday which were supposedly silver that I have worn for over a year now. The rash started getting worse about a month ago, I guess. My memory cannot tell you whether it was a week, a month or 5 months ago. It all blurs together and feels like yesterday unless I have a date attached to it. Another symptom that began 4 years ago at the same time as the initial allergic rash to nickel was a runny nose and chronic laryngitis. I don't know what is causing it. I had the allergy tests done, the RAST test done and came back with no positive results. When the dermatologist tested me, I was positive to nickel, but this still didn't explain my runny nose and laryngitis. Or did it? This is not psychosomatic or stress-related. I just have to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together. Why am I allergic to all of these things? I know that pregancy and other events like surgeries can change our bodies (I had 2 c-sections and an ACL reconstruction within 3 years). I have read that gluten-sensitivity can cause all of these other allergies and other auto-immune disorders. Has anyone found anything about this? The symptoms for either gluten-sensitivity or PCOS started in 6th grade with severe pain in my stomach that localized on the right side before it went away. The ER checked me for appendicitis and kept me for observation. In 12th grade this occurred again, but b/c there were no signs of anything, I was told it was a cyst on my ovary that ruptured, which is why they could not see anything during an ultrasound or in my blood work. Hmmm? Since I was 2 or 3 I have had hayfever-like allergic reactions to any citrus. If someone peels an orange or grapefruit near me, my eyes begin to burn and water.
To the guy, Mark, maybe, I read so many, who said that your nickel allergy and gluten-allergy are related. What else have you found to corroborate that? I am pretty sure that my Dad and I have the same medical problems. While my neuropathy just started about a year ago, his started 10 years ago and he is no longer able to walk without assistance. He is also going gluten-free and can attest that even the smallest amount of gluten will set his feet on fire. I believe that we have a different form of gluten-sensitivity that also causes us gastrointestinal problems but possibly without actual damage to the villi in the intestine. Could nickel also cause similar symptoms? I would not mind further testing, but am not going to needlessly cost my insurance co money. When I am off gluten, the diarrhea goes away. What about this neuropathy? I can't stand it. I will not end up in a wheel chair and I will do everything in my power to get my Dad his legs back. Does anyone have any answers? There are about a dozen other symptoms that I have that I didn't think of or have time to post. Thank you for taking the time to read my extensive posting.

glenntaj 05-28-2008 06:38 AM

skigirl--

--have you taken a long look at the Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac forum here yet?

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum13.html

There is a lot of info--much of it compiled originally by jcclglutenfree (cara--creator of The Gluten File, probably the most comprehensive database on the subject yet devised) that talks about non-celiac gluten sensitivity, the relationship of "tight junction dysfunction" mediated through the intestinal substance Zonulin in allowing inappropriate molecules to pass from the intestinal tract into the body, resulting in molecular mimicry autoimmune reactions, and the many different malabsorptions of vitamns and minerals that can ocur when there is intestinal damage . . .

Deficiencies of B12, B6, magnesium, iron, calcium and the like can cause neurological symptoms of their own accord, and the autoimmune cross reactivity of gliadin with nerve glycolipids can result in neurological problems (neuropathy, ataxia) in its own right . . .

And--there's info about dermatitis hepatiformis, a red, scaly, blistery rash that is associated with gluten sensitivity . . .

skigirl 05-28-2008 06:30 PM

gluten recommendations

[QUOTE=glenntaj;288489]--have you taken a long look at the Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac forum here yet?

Yes, I have visited numerous gluten/Celiac sites. I can't count the hours of research I have done. When I go to the doctor, it seems I need to inform him/her of the current research on gluten-sensitivity. I am having neurological reactions to gluten or something without gastrointestinal reactions. I can't find a definitive source of gluten which is what prompted me to look at other possible links to the peripheral neuropathy. I googled nickel in foods, because during my gluten/celiac research I happened to catch a sentence on the subject much to my surprise. What further surprised me was a member of this forum stating that he has a nickel allergy and a gluten-sensitivity with atypical symptoms. I can deal with the dry, itchy skin, dyshydrotic eczema, and other minor symptoms. Believe me, in comparison to constant muscle cramps, my itchy skin is minor and tolerable. I will take a loot at the gluten files that you mentioned as well. Thank you for these suggestions. BTW, since Tuesday, I have gone to the extreme in restricting gluten from my diet: no grains, no vinegar, no processed foods unless I know it is gluten-free. I have also restricted liquids to tea, water, and gluten-free juice. My symptoms are improving. I don't know what soda has to do with it, but it causes my joints to become stiff and ache if I drink it on a daily basis. I discovered this last September. The plantar fasciitis (spelling?) completely disappeared after restricting soda. The stiffness and most of the joint pain also disappeared. I tested my response to soda after a couple of symptom-less days and the pain/stiffness returned within 20 minutes of drinking Sprite. I also tested diet Sprite and had the same reaction. Unfortunately, I started drinking sodas again within the past couple weeks, more than one a day. I will continue eliminating these foods/drinks from my diet until I find relief.
Thank you immensely for your reply.

eannc13 07-05-2008 11:58 PM

LifeBright - you mentioned you had an irritation/infection just below your belly button. I had this for years and finally figured out that it was the metal button on my jeans causing it where it came into contact with my stomach. It's easily taken care of by painting clear nail polish over the metal part. Just be sure that you do this on all of your jeans and that you repeat it every couple of months or so. Hope it helps!

Snow Bunny 07-09-2008 02:26 PM

Wow i can't believe i found all of YOU with nickel allergy!!

I have been dealing with redness around my mouth that would come and go for about 4 years now, no Doctor has pin pointed what it was, until now. I went last week to the Dermatologist and the begin “patch” testing, I had to live with 127 patches covering my back for 2 days, then go a week with getting my back wet, my god was that unbearable, especially b/c it has been so humid where I live. :eek:

Well I went today to see the results of it. It was pretty plain and simple to see that I had no other reaction to any of the patches except for one. The Nickel patch! As she talked to me about the foods and all the different things I touch through the day that have nickel in them, including my engagement ring. Must say I was quiet overwhelmed at all of this and tears welled up in my eyes!

This is all happening so fast reading over the restrictions and what i cant eat or touch, i work at a library and everything is metal or has metal in it. Ive been told just to aviod touching my face after coming in contact with medals. This is going to be very hard....

The food list is crazy of what you can’t eat. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, b/c it seems like ill be living on a Brussels sprout and carrot diet w/NO margarine. I guess easy weight loss for the wedding, lol. If anyone can help with any advice to dealing with this please, let me know. :)

I have some papers from my dr.s that have the dietary restrictions on it ill have to sit and post all the information plus the site for lotions, creams, medicine, soap and make-up that are ok... ill post that at a later time. not enough time right now, plus im at work lol. :grouphug:

Rhapsody 07-10-2008 01:14 AM

Hey everyone....

I am the person that originally started this thread after I was diagnosed with nickel allergy last year... and now I have returned to ask IF any one has had any luck in finding a vitamin that does not contain minerals in them as this is where the nickel is found?

I am asking as I have noticed that I have not had as much of a sinus problem going on since I had to stop taking my arthritis medication and daily vitamin before my surgery was to take place three weeks ago for a bladder issue... I now believe it was the nickel in the vitamins that aggravated my sinuses these past few years - due to my allergy to nickel.

SO - Where are the Nickel Free Vitamins?

mrsD 07-10-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody (Post 320118)
Hey everyone....

I am the person that originally started this thread after I was diagnosed with nickel allergy last year... and now I have returned to ask IF any one has had any luck in finding a vitamin that does not contain minerals in them as this is where the nickel is found?

I am asking as I have noticed that I have not had as much of a sinus problem going on since I had to stop taking my arthritis medication and daily vitamin before my surgery was to take place three weeks ago for a bladder issue... I now believe it was the nickel in the vitamins that aggravated my sinuses these past few years - due to my allergy to nickel.

SO - Where are the Nickel Free Vitamins?

I would start calling the major companies... like NatureMade and NOW and ask if their products contain nickel. That is the only way you will get a complete answer.
Google them, and their websites typically have toll free phone numbers.