advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Lyrica for Peripheral Neuropathy

I have been suffering with Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet for 2 years and after many tests, all negative, a reason for this condition is unknown. My pain has increased horribly over the past year and even with taking Neurontin 2400 mgs a day, I was still in horrible pain. The other day my podiatrist put me on Lyrica (although we tried this before and the insurance company refused the coverage), he gave me samples for 2 weeks, 50mg 3 times a day and then to switch to a perscription he gave me for 150 mg twice a day. My problem, I started the Lyrica, stopped the Neurontin and am now in such unbearable pain, I cannot walk, all I want to do is cry it hurts so much and I am finding strained muscles up and down my legs from the tension I am feeling. Should I go back on the Neurontin along with this Lyrica until the Lyrica kicks in? I cannot exist like this, I am not myself.
ShultsC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShultsC View Post
........ Should I go back on the Neurontin along with this Lyrica until the Lyrica kicks in? I cannot exist like this, I am not myself.
Was this a neurologist?
Absolutely ridiculous!
Your doc should have given you a titration schedule to cut back on the neurontin and increase the lyrica gradually over a period of 1-2 weeks-dependent on how much you have been taking in the past.
It amazes me that a doctor hasn't bothered to keep up with proper changeover/switch procedures. You cannot just stop one and take the other.
This could be dangerous!
antonina (06-25-2011), mrsD (06-25-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nide44 View Post
Was this a neurologist?
Absolutely ridiculous!
Your doc should have given you a titration schedule to cut back on the neurontin and increase the lyrica gradually over a period of 1-2 weeks-dependent on how much you have been taking in the past.
It amazes me that a doctor hasn't bothered to keep up with proper changeover/switch procedures. You cannot just stop one and take the other.
This could be dangerous!
My primary doctor said the same thing after I called him over the weekend. So I am now taking 150mg lyrica twice a day and my neurontin until the lyrica kicks in I guess. I just seem to be in more pain, I am so frustrated with all of this. by what you said if he reduced the neurtontin I swear the pain would be unbearable.
ShultsC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Possible Gluten Sensitive?

I am sorry to hear about your what you are going through. I to am dealing with peripheral neuropathy mainly in my legs where I am in pain almost all day long.

I have been deemed as having Idiopathic nueropathy from my old Nuerologist. My new neurologist just tested me for Gluten Allergy and my levels came back extremely high. I am not starting a Gluten Free Diet (along with weekly B12 Injections). I have been reading that this can take 6 to 12 months (on a gluten and wheat free diet) to start feeling relief from this diet if you are gluten sensitive.

Have you tried seeing if your are Gluten Sensitive? Gluten Sensitive can cause Nueropathy and Fibromyalgia symtpoms. It might be worth a try

God Bless,
Ron
helpmeron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeron View Post
I am sorry to hear about your what you are going through. I to am dealing with peripheral neuropathy mainly in my legs where I am in pain almost all day long.

I have been deemed as having Idiopathic nueropathy from my old Nuerologist. My new neurologist just tested me for Gluten Allergy and my levels came back extremely high. I am not starting a Gluten Free Diet (along with weekly B12 Injections). I have been reading that this can take 6 to 12 months (on a gluten and wheat free diet) to start feeling relief from this diet if you are gluten sensitive.

Have you tried seeing if your are Gluten Sensitive? Gluten Sensitive can cause Nueropathy and Fibromyalgia symtpoms. It might be worth a try

God Bless,
Ron
Hi Ron,

I have a very painful peripheral neuropathy for 7 months now. I had a Gluten Intolerance/Celiac Disease Test and came out negative. However, due to the pain, I was willing to go on a gluten free diet. I started it a month ago. I read too that it will take awhile before one can feel a relief from the symptoms after you started on a gluten free diet that is why I was surprised when my primary care physician told me yesterday that I should start feeling better after a month of gluten free diet!!!
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have been gluten free for quite a while. The supplements were key. Then, going sugar free was the last key! Even with normal glucose testing, sugar is not a friend of nerves.

I am sorry you are in pain.

Sallysblooms is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have been dealing with if for 10 months now. I am hoping that Gluten Free gives relief over time. I have read that 1 month doesn't do anything on this diet.

I heard B-12 injections are really good too (which can also take a long time for it work also to help regenerate our nerves). I also take 1200 mg daily (2 pills twice a day of quality brand Alpha Lipoic acid).

I got Neuropathy from taking the antibiotic called Levaquin (For 10 days). All my neuro and blood tests too were negative as well to try and find an underlying condition. This was the 1st test that came back Positive since I have started my search to recovery in the last 10 months.

Have you been able to try and figure out what could have caused your neuropathy?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Me, too, is on supplements which I found in this thread.
I do not add sugar to any of my food and I limit my sugar intake to only 40mg a day. But I eat a lot of fruits, I dont count the sugar content of fruits.
How do you have a totally avoid sugar? sugar is basically in all food.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I got Neuropathy from taking the antibiotic called Levaquin (For 10 days). All my neuro and blood tests too were negative as well to try and find an underlying condition. This was the 1st test that came back Positive since I have started my search to recovery in the last 10 months.
What test was this that came back positive? And how soon after taking the Levaquin did your neuropathy start and how was the positive connection made - that the Levaquin was unequivocally the cause?
grandma123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma123 View Post
What test was this that came back positive? And how soon after taking the Levaquin did your neuropathy start and how was the positive connection made - that the Levaquin was unequivocally the cause?
I actually felt Hip burning pain while i was taking the levaquin, but the pain in my legs and hands started about a week after wards and gradually increased. I am not sure yet which gluten-wheat test came back exactly but i'm getting the results next week mailed to me so I can let you know then the exact test it was. I spoke my doctor yesterday and he told me that my levels were extremely high that showed that I am gluten sensitive. Hopefully this what will get me on the right track to recovery.

I did research online about levaquin and neuropathy so this is how i put it all together. It took me almost 5 months to realize that it was the levaquin actually can cause neuropathy.