advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default cymbalta

My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for my neuropathy pain. So far it has helped my pain in my legs and feet a lot. I have had some side effects. Has Cymbalta helped anyone here? Please let me know. I have read some positives and negatives. I am trying to decide whether to continue with the med. Thanks.
drwk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwk View Post
My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for my neuropathy pain. So far it has helped my pain in my legs and feet a lot. I have had some side effects. Has Cymbalta helped anyone here? Please let me know. I have read some positives and negatives. I am trying to decide whether to continue with the med. Thanks.
I'm not using Cymbalta but am using Nortripyline, which has similar uses and side effects.

Be careful and consult with your DR should you decide to discontinue, sudden cessation can have unpleasant consequences.
tnthomas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have been taking Cymbalta for about a year and a half. I think it helped me. I didn't really have any side effects until they tried to up the dose. I only take 60 mg. I think I could use the increased dose but had side effects and have to work full time. I am also very sensitive to meds. Usually can only do low dose of any of them.
tnthomas is right do not stop cymblata on your own. It requires a weaning process.
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I took Cymbalta to help combat the PN effects of chemo back in 2006-2007. I took a very large dose for a long time. Then my prescrition ran out and due to some oddball staff at my doctors office, I could not get a refill . Something like the doc is on vacation, we don't ask the partner to refill.... and so on. Had near seizure like problems, ended up in an ER after missing 4 doses. Not fun. But.....it did work!
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB63 View Post
I took Cymbalta to help combat the PN effects of chemo back in 2006-2007. I took a very large dose for a long time. Then my prescrition ran out and due to some oddball staff at my doctors office, I could not get a refill . Something like the doc is on vacation, we don't ask the partner to refill.... and so on. Had near seizure like problems, ended up in an ER after missing 4 doses. Not fun. But.....it did work!

I got about 75% overall relief on Cymbalta 60mg per day for small fiber neuropathy, which I used on and off for about three years.

Just start out on 30 mg per day (half strength) for the first seven days before going to full-strength 60 mg per day thereafter. I would then allow a minimum of three weeks on 60 mg per day to see how it works for you.

You must also discontinue it very slowly, going from 60 mg per day to 30 mg per day for perhaps three weeks, and thereupon to 15 mg per day for another week or so. You may then stop but then still expect a couple of annoying days of discomfort which is directly proportional to your length of time at 60 mg (full strength) per day.

Hope that helps
Apollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwk View Post
I took one 60 pill for injuries to back in WC accident. It sent me to the hospital with a severe reaction. I would be very careful with this medication. I had extremely high heart rate and blood pressure. All they could do is give me ativan and monitor while my body got rud of the medication. I know I will never touch that drug again. Scared me to death.
Rattie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your reponses. So far so good on 30 mgs. It has help my body pain a lot. I am going to stick with it. The only thing I noticed after I started was slight numbness in my knees and cheeks of my face. It comes and goes. Not sure if it is the med or just a new symptom of neuropathy.
drwk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've taken Cymbalta for over 2 years and it's been very effective at reducing my pain, which is in the torso and now neck and jaw.

Initially it made me nauseous but over time I adjusted to it. I started with 30 mg, went to 60 mg, 90 mg and am now at 120 mg. Your body does tend to adjust to it, so over time you need higher doses to get the same effect. At least that's how it's been for me.

One thing I discovered by reading the package insert carefully: The efficacy of the drug is reduced in some patients by as much as 30% if taken with food, so I make sure my stomach is empty before taking the med just before going to bed.

I wonderful benefit for me of taking Cymbalta has been the abatement of depression and anxiety I was experiencing because of the neuropathy and other physical problems. That's why I'm especially loathe to go off it, even though it's become less effective now that I've topped out at 120 mg.

Cymbalta is hard on the liver. I've been careful not to drink alcohol or take Tylenol while I've been on it. My neurologist didn't think it necessary to have liver enzyme tests, but I've gotten them though my GP and so far everything has been ok.

Good luck, and I hope Cymbalta works as well for you as it has for me.
nsw43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I took Cymbalta for RA and nerve pain plus anxiety a few years back. It was wonderful for pain and anxiety.

I stayed on it for 18 months and finally decided I was tired of the side effects of constipation, "ahem," sexual side effects, and mild weight gain and swelling.

I was unable to wean off, so my doctor gave me a prescription for 8 prozac tablets, and I took them with the cymbalta for a few days and then stopped without incident.
Gramma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
drwk (10-24-2011)